How forgiving are you to students?

Caidemma

Reaction score
Just curious, as i was having a conversation with my friend (we are both hearing, and learning ASL) about foreigners and English. He was saying how annoying it is to try to understand people, such as asians or europeans, using English as they tend to make alot of grammatical errors.

I pointed out that they are trying and we should help them, just as i would hope if i was signing with someone and made a mistake, they would help me not make fun of me.

When signing with people new to ASL, do you forgive and correct them or just get frustrated and make fun/ walk away?

Depends on what they are trying to do. If they just want to talk for the sake of using ASL, I may or may not get annoyed, depending on what I am doing.

Some cashiers at stores try to use signs, which doesn't bother me at all, if I am waiting for a bus or plane, I would be willing to work with them, but if I am in the middle of eating a messy burrito in a Mexican restaurant, and someone wants to practice ASL, then I would not be in the mood to work with them.

It is all in the timing & location.

Green is right Caidemma, is does depend on how they are acting, is the ASL done making fun or are they really trying. I would help anyone that wants to learn sign as much as I hope anybody would help another in any language.
ASL may be American Sign but it is still a foreign language if another cannot use it.

Depends on the situation. For example, if I know someone is trying to become an interpreter but only wants to do the bare minimum or pass the requirements and that's it, then I'm less inclined to help them out. But if I can tell that someone genuinely enjoys signing or really wants to improve, then I will help correct them or show them signs whenever they try to fingerspell something that can easily be signed.

Thanks for your honesty :) I gather that it is the same with hearing people and those
who try to learn their language.

Actually, we should be thanking you for being considerate and asking us what we thought before acting.

Actually, we should be thanking you for being considerate and asking us what we thought before acting.

Agreed. It's nice to see someone being considerate, and not so silly about this. Thanks for asking, Caidemma! :)

This is educational. Can I give you another scenario?
I'm deaf and I speak English, but I want to learn ASL so I can communicate with the deaf without needing my own interpreter. It would be nice to be a bilingual deaf person instead of just a product of education from oralist jerks.
Would you help, and how?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

khrixmrozh said:
This is educational. Can I give you another scenario?
I'm deaf and I speak English, but I want to learn ASL so I can communicate with the deaf without needing my own interpreter. It would be nice to be a bilingual deaf person instead of just a product of education from oralist jerks.
Would you help, and how?

Sure, yours is a very common situation.

The most important thing is that you are totally accepting that ASL is a "real language" and that while there are lots of Hoh/Deaf ASLers who do speak, we don't see being able to do so as "better" than those who don't speak.

This is a question that is somewhat related because I'm going to a deaf event in my city next week and I'm not completely sure about this: If someone doesn't know ASL very well but you can tell they're genuinely trying to communicate, do you care if they mouth the words as they sign them? Is it considered rude to do so, even if you can't/don't lipread?

Back