How easy for Deaf to learn to drive a stick?

Do you know what is Overdrive? It means that the wheel is turning faster than the engine turns. The advantage for OD is to save gas. Remember the rule, the more RPM you have the more horses you can weed out. But since the wheel is turning faster than the engine turns, and what it means? Engine have lower RPM, meaning less horses so you can't accelerate faster on OD. Sorry buddy, the OD is really intended for gas saving not speed.

Often you see the OD button or the shift indicator with OD. It was designed as if you turn it off, you won't go into "5th gear" so you can keep the power when you are hauling heavy stuff like trailer. If you had OD on and pulling the trailer or heavy stuff, your gonna ruin your tranny and you will get poor driving quality.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
what about automatic cars with overdrive system?

I had no problem driving stick at first. My dad taught me how to drive stick when I was 14 or 15 on the farm and then I got used to it and practiced before I got my learner's permit and I passed my driver's test for first time with the stick. Then I had a car with 5 speed TWICE (one was Subaur Outback Impreza and Sukui Esteem) and I had the baby, I traded to bigger SUV with automatic which it is easy for me.

I had no problem. It was REALLY easy for me.

I love manual... I was borned with a manual family, dad and mom's old cars, many of them were manual but now my ma have automatic due to her knee but it's important to know how to drive a manual car in case of emergency. I learned how to drive manual at age of 15 but always watched my parent shift gears. I once nearly beat a Mitsubshi eclipse with my manual saturn wagon once from o-50 but slowed down cuz my speed radar warned me a police ahead and the eclipse car got busted... Heh anyway u said 4 wheel drive dart faster than 2 wheel on winter condition true... What about 4wd manaul vs 4wd automatic? I've seen plenty of 4wd vehicles get in accidents a lot than 2 wheel drive vehicles... 4 wheel drive only help to go not stop but anti-lock braking system help a bit! Who know one day there'll be a ice system which help vehicle to stop instead of sliding...

diehardbiker65 said:
That is VERY true! manual can dart out much faster than automatics. With ONE exception. If the road condition is not dry, 4 wheel drive vehicles will ALWAYS dart out faster than 2 wheel drive, even with manual!
I always beat guys with stick in rain. They wonder how I do that with automatics. I told them, its 4 wheel drive and NOTHING beats 4 wheel drive!

Clarification: Do not think 4 wheel drive won't get you in accident. That is bad perspective. You can lose control with 4 wheel drive mode on! Use your head!

nozobo said:
I once nearly beat a Mitsubshi eclipse with my manual saturn wagon once from o-50 but slowed down cuz my speed radar warned me a police ahead and the eclipse car got busted

This happened to me before, I was gonna beat a fast celica with my civic. Then my radar detector starting going off, so I slowwwed down. It was the sliding door at the grocery store that made it go off!!! Does anyone else have that problem?? :lol: I felt so stupid, because I lost... :Oops:

Teg

Curious...

How about the new Hybrid cars with manuals? Anyone experienced them yet?
I'm considering getting a hybrid car next due to rising costs of gas.

deaf24fan said:
Curious...

Yes there was a hybrid with a manual transmission, the Honda Insight, but that thing only has 2 seats and it's kinda *ahem* ulgy. I'm not sure if they still sell the manual transmission version and it cost $20k if u can afford it.

sequoias said:
Yes there was a hybrid with a manual transmission, the Honda Insight, but that thing only has 2 seats and it's kinda *ahem* ulgy. I'm not sure if they still sell the manual transmission version and it cost $20k if u can afford it.

I don't mind Insight cuz of the highest combined MPG = approximately 60 mpg!

What about other hybrids out there now? Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Honda Accord, and I think a Ford and a Lexus has one out now as hybrid SUV.

For Toyota Prius and Honda Civic, their combined average MPG is about 55 mpg. I don't know about the newer hybrid models.

Sure there is rising cost of gasoline, BUT is it justificable with the cost of hybrid and the maintenace costs? I am sure the maintenace cost won't be any cheap, and likely will cost even more than regular gasoline vehicles. So payback might not be as much as you realize. It won't benefit ya if your gonna use mainly on highway. It is impossible to get 60 MPG on highways with Hybrids. The only real saver for hybrids is if your gonna to use mostly in the city or alot stop and go.
For me, I stay away from Hybrids!

deaf24fan said:
Curious...

Here is mathematic formula to determine the cost being justified for hybrids.
This is based on same make: Toyota So you can compare fairly and square.

Regular gasoline vehicle cost Corolla: 14,000 brand new

Hybrid Prius $21,000 So that means 7,000 dollars more than corolla

average mileage per year is 12,000

Corolla gets 41 miles to gallon

Prius gets 51 miles to gallon

Okay that means Corolla will use 293 gallons of gas per year

Prius will use 236 gallons of gas per year

Thus Prius will save 57 gallons a year, multiply that to average gas price of $2.30 per gal That comes out to 131 dollars a year savings. So, you might want to keep for 8 years That means you will save $1,048.80 of gas over the life. Is it worth to shell out $7.000 dollars more to save $1,048.80 over the life of vehicle?

If your doing the math more accurately, you will be surprise that sometimes switching cars to save gas isn't justificable anyway.

^Angel^ said:
Oh, I'm always ready, bring it on hon! :naughty:

*looking innocent* "Angel, what does RR mean "stick?" *Angel whispering...to PL* Peachy Lady: *gasp!!!* "RR...go back in the closet!!! and take Angel with you!"

Hello, I have drove any of cars in the past that have manual for a long time and I love it but due driving around in the town which was really annoyed me a lot lately that include my mother, too...so we finally got another new car with auto!! Much better for only town or city for that matter but if on mountains, best to have maunal (stick shifts).... it saves gas a lot than auto sometimes but actually alot things have change and does save a lot of gas on auto as well!! At first, as I recalled, that I was young and my father taugh me on how to drive lol but gosh I just don't remmy much at all on how hard to use stick shifts!!! But one thing I remmy, kind of funny tho, that I was driving first time and I had to look at the road all the time not look around at all...cuz scared the sh** out of me lol till mom told me not need to look just be normal ....finally I did but took long while due of my age of late tho...oh well but now look at me I can drive with both auto and manual for a long time now...not too bad but had to remmy what I am doing with either shifts or auto! LOL

It wasn't hard to learn how to drive a stick and I like it alot since I can control its speed and exercise my legs. I rely on the feeling of its vibration to change shifts. I currently have a 2003 Toyota RAV4 and it is a boy since it have a stick!! :lol:

flyfishfemme: ooo LMAO!! Good one abt a car with stick as boy! oh boy that was good one! LOL I think that sound right tho! haha

get a motorcycle!

lets see here,learning to drive a stick hhhmmm. that took about 5 minutes. on the first time i drove a car...at the age of 27!
i have been on motorcycles since i was 8. there is nothing like bike!gas milage?over 40 mpg on freeking race bike! you can get up to 70 mpg on an old honda spree 75 cc! rush hour traffic?ha! I roll dowm the side of the lane and straight to the front..adds 5 minutes to no traffic commute.
and as for the rain... i am not wimp, or a wuss .skin is water proof! on the flip side i have crashed at 120 mph in the rain on route 50 in DC. Ihurt my ego more than anything else.
so get a used bike for a grand and go for a ride!

I don't know how to stick... :pissed:
Why not remove the stick and replace with bicycle Paddles? :stupid:

Heh? :)

<-- drives with stick... doesnt love it when comes to the traffic jams...
but love it when comes to just joy ridding or drive around..

hehe my very first car, 1976 Vega... with stick.... :dance:

Reba said:
I remember a friend of mine had a manual stick car that had a tach that "blinked" at certain rpms to indicate time to shift. Does anyone else remember that?

ah man yes ! i had '82 vw rabbit with the flash thing. it was annoying me ! i did unplug the blub off that annoying thing ! since then i loved shifting. i finally gave up shifting after 15 yrs.

i do miss shifting...

diehardbiker65 said:
Here is mathematic formula to determine the cost being justified for hybrids..
This is based on same make: Toyota So you can compare fairly and square.

Regular gasoline vehicle cost Corolla: $14,000 brand new

Hybrid Prius $21,000 minus $2,000 for Tax Incentives) So that means $5,000 more than corolla

average mileage per year is 12,000

Corolla gets 41 miles to gallon

Prius gets 51 miles to gallon

Okay that means Corolla will use 293 gallons of gas per year

Prius will use 236 gallons of gas per year

Thus Prius will save 57 gallons a year, multiply that to average gas price of $2.85 per gal That comes out to 162.45 dollars a year savings. So, you might want to keep for 8 years That means you will save $1,300 of gas over the life. Is it worth to shell out $5,000 dollars more to save $1,048.80 over the life of vehicle?

If your doing the math more accurately, you will be surprise that sometimes switching cars to save gas isn't justificable anyway

I am sure that they would reduce the price to $19,590 with employee discount

What if next year the gas would be about $3.50 per gas (87 grade unlead gas). A few years later it would rise to $4.25 per same grade gas.
1st year: $160
2nd year: $200
3rd year: $240
4th year: $240
5th year: $280
6th year: $300
7th year: $320
8th year: $340
Total: $2,080...that seems more different cost than you assume. Dead Triker (Get it? I.E., tricycle), You may have forgotten how to calculate the CPI: Customer Price Index.

Your assumement for $7,000 vs. my assessment for $1,510. How do you know if you may be a perfect forecaster? Methink that you do not even care about your grandchildren in future that they have to pay out of their pockets.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I don't know how to stick... :pissed:
Why not remove the stick and replace with bicycle Paddles? :stupid:

Heh? :)

You really don't know how to hand job?????

mld4ds,

how much wud the new battery replacement be after hybrids car battery died ? i heard they say 5k - 8k dollars.

Back