How does syntax work in ASL signing?

When so many people come in to AD professing an interest in ASL, why is it so hard to fill a section when Deaf Action Centers go out in the community and hold classes?

There you people could learn correctly and they are not very expensive since they are only adult ed through the public schools..

If you're referring to the sentences I posted, I didn't intend for them to be glossed versions of ASL signing. I was only giving you the English conceptual meanings. If I were glossing the sentences I wouldn't include the "to", and I would change the sentence structures.

If I gloss phrases or words, I use all caps to represent signs. :)

Sorry for the confusion.

I should've clarified myself... I was referring to the sentences that Zoomzipboom had listed in her post...

God Bless!

When so many people come in to AD professing an interest in ASL, why is it so hard to fill a section when Deaf Action Centers go out in the community and hold classes?

There you people could learn correctly and they are not very expensive since they are only adult ed through the public schools..
Yes, I've noticed the same problem.

Many hearing people express to me their desire to learn sign language but they don't want to bother taking a formal class.

I've even tried setting up classes for interested people but they don't follow thru or even show up. If they have to buy a book/CD for the class, much less pay for qualified instruction, forget it.

Note: I'm not referring to sincere seekers who simply can't find a class in their area.

yeah i live in a small town and though i imagine there might be some at the technical college in my town, i have zero money to take a class... unemployment hit prettty hard especially where i live and so many people are out of work, including myself. i am 26 and unfortunately had to move back in with my mother which at 26 can make a person feel kinda bad. :( but!!! i might be hired at quizno's, a sub shop in my city. i go in to talk to the manager tomarrow. so when i get the job and can get a place and back on my feet again, official classes are one of the things i will be saving for.
just wanted to clarify so i wasn't grouped in the category of cheap hearing people who don't want to pay for a class. because that is not the case at all. i literally have 40 bucks to my name... which i stashed away so i wouldn't spend it, but now can't remember where i put it so yeah basically as good as no money at all. haha. it is really not funny being poor, somewhat sad, but luckily i have a mom and a step dad who took me in when i was down on my luck. hopefully things will turn around for me soon. :)

yeah i live in a small town and though i imagine there might be some at the technical college in my town, i have zero money to take a class... unemployment hit prettty hard especially where i live and so many people are out of work, including myself. i am 26 and unfortunately had to move back in with my mother which at 26 can make a person feel kinda bad. :( but!!! i might be hired at quizno's, a sub shop in my city. i go in to talk to the manager tomarrow. so when i get the job and can get a place and back on my feet again, official classes are one of the things i will be saving for.
just wanted to clarify so i wasn't grouped in the category of cheap hearing people who don't want to pay for a class. because that is not the case at all. i literally have 40 bucks to my name... which i stashed away so i wouldn't spend it, but now can't remember where i put it so yeah basically as good as no money at all. haha. it is really not funny being poor, somewhat sad, but luckily i have a mom and a step dad who took me in when i was down on my luck. hopefully things will turn around for me soon. :)

Area News - NE WI — WADNet Post

Quite a bit goes on near Green Bay if you check out this link.

I've never heard of low cost or free ASL classes, I'd be all over that (as much as pregnancy allows) - THe only ASL classes I know of were at FCCJ-> now called FC?? something else now...

They weren't cheap nor at good times in the day.

I've never heard of low cost or free ASL classes, I'd be all over that (as much as pregnancy allows) - THe only ASL classes I know of were at FCCJ-> now called FC?? something else now...

They weren't cheap nor at good times in the day.

The only free online classes I know of are at LifePrint.com
It's the same material the guy uses with his actual college classes, but the images/animations are on the web. Not enough in the way of interactive, but it's a great start to learning the actual signs, I think, and he does go into some ASL grammar stuff. That's how I started; I went thru all 45 lessons and then kept reviewing them. Then I moved on to other sites from there.

Back