How does one know when they are fluent in ASL?

marcopollo

Reaction score
How do you know when you are fully wrapped in ASL? I have been devoting most of my time these past months learning ASL, and when I view videos of people signing on Youtube, I feel lost. I don't know where I am pertaining to progress, and I know that there are different signs for the same word, I just want to know how to become fluent.

Even those fluent in their own community are always learning as signs vary geographically and by age. But I asked myself the same question as I'm starting to get roughly 90% of what I see. It was a weird moment where I realized it wasn't my native language even though I'm naturally inclined to it, I think you'll know when everything flows like when you become adept at anything. Not to mention a "hearing dream" which I haven't really had since I was seven has become the rarity that signing dreams used to be. Good luck just keep at it putting daily effort and utilizing your reception skills and signing skills (converse with people to build the foundation) you will get it. Good luck :D Take a class With A Deaf teacher (or practice with someone attending one) and/or find a tutor if you can, it cost some money and time but it will make everything easier. Best advice, keep trying and keep finding ways to learn/ practice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

This is actually an interesting question. I took a language course when I was in university and there was a whole unit based on the idea that there is no universal agreement on what makes someone fluent in a language. Some believe there are different levels of language fluency. The highest level being "Mother Tongue" (native speaker, ASL can be someone's "mother tongue" if that was their first, native language) as in they grasp everything about the language such as vocab, grammar rules, dialects, etc...and the lowest being able to get by ordering food in a restaurant or talking to a cabby. Most people fall somewhere in the middle with languages that aren't their "Mother Tongue"

The only way for you to do is to go to the Deaf events where there are many Deaf ASL signers in the Deaf community. That is how I learned how to sign properly signing with Deaf signers in the Deaf community after I finished learning how to sign in the Deaf class. You would become fluent if you continue to sign with them.

I learned how to sign Amslan back in the 1970 before I signed ASL later. I love ASL and I need it very badly.

different questions

If people you do not know ask you if you are Deaf or HOH (as opposed to asking you if you are Deaf or Hearing), then you might be pretty good at signing.

it not direct English word for word.i think beginners get confused if self teaching that why good have signing teacher.
as said even good signers get it wrong at times

Back