How does it work

All right!!! I love it that they use their sign language with their lip movements! Thanks for the link.

For clarification purposes

Demise,
Cueing actually isn't sign language. :) It is handshapes and placements.
I just needed to clarify that. :)

loml said:
Cueing actually isn't sign language. :) It is handshapes and placements.
I just needed to clarify that. :)
Well, cueing doesn't necessarily displace sign language either. I just read some informational materials on cueing today and found it to be interesting. It is gratifying to see that CS's philosophy doesn't exclude its users from learning sign language.

It appears to me, at best, a visual representation of a spoken language, and in our case, that of English. I would gather that cueing is a whole lot more closer to English than SEE would ever achieve to be. I'm also a strong proponent of having early language development proficency among DHH infants and young children.

I can see why cueing has not gained widespread acceptance and usage; It is still a manual means of communication requiring skill, practice, and daily use. Unfair or not, the many reasons why parents reject ASL in communicating with their infant children are also applicable to CS. While CS's sheer simplicity is its biggest asset, the '20-hour' learning curve is certainly misleading.

As for the Deaf Education community, CS relies on lipreading as an essential component, and this may turn off professionals from using it. After all, lipreading is a poor substitute and it assumes too much from a DHH child in his/her comprehension of spoken language. The failures of oral education, pre-1960's, still holds considerable influence among many professionals, and casts a negative sway over CS.

Lastly, it would be nice to see if the CS association could commission a study to show CS's true efficacy in solving the language development problems among the DHH population. If they truly believe in the CS method, they should get the funding from Dept. of Education, initiate a comprehensive study of say, 50 CS users, tracking them from 1 to 9 years old, and publish results covering their English language development.

Really, it's put up or shut up time for CS; Lately, CI's have been more successful, where DHH children can pick up spoken language and have a language foundation, when they are implanted early in infancy. If CI's become very successful and widespread, resulting in thousands of successful cases of DHH people with age-appropriate language abilities, that may well be the death knell of CS.

That all said, CS certainly is intriguing. I can see its benefits, should parents really stick to the CS regimen, and DHH children can reap the language development benefits akin to Deaf people of Deaf parents, or even similiar to how a regular child would acquire language in a normal household. That is the beauty of CS.

Thank you for prodding me, at the least, to look into the subject. I have learned a little bit more about CS and its language development benefits. I do like it a lot, but I suspect that parents do not have the time, the keen interest, nor the discipline required for their DHH children's sake, to make CS a truly effective tool in a DHH student's communiations arsenal.

I went to a CS workshop at my college last year, and I've gone to a few pub-hoppings with the group. I can't really express myself because of speed issues, but that's yet to come, I guess. I lip read well, though, so CS definitely feels comfortable - I was definitely more comfortable with it than the hearing students in the class.

What I found interesting was that there was a pair of sisters at the workshop who signed with each other; their reason for learning CS was that one of them have chronic joint pain, so fingerspelling was a pain (literally and figuratively) and CS was that much more comfortable.

All that said, though, I'm putting more priority on learning to sign; I've never met anyone, outside of that group, who cued, and the vast majority of the deaf I've met haven't even heard of CS. (Which is not to say that I'm going to drop CS entirely.)

Eyeth
I would gather that cueing is a whole lot more closer to English than SEE would ever achieve to be. I'm also a strong proponent of having early language development proficency among DHH infants and young children.

Eyeth,

Cued Speech is an exact representation of the language/sound, as finite as DHH children recognizing that not all hearing people sound the same. A visual, tactile, auditory(if choosen) representation, of vowel and consanant combinations.

I can see why cueing has not gained widespread acceptance and usage; It is still a manual means of communication requiring skill, practice, and daily use

This may indeed be why there is lack of acceptance. In addition to your comments, many professionals, deaf and hearing, who have spent their careers involved in Deaf Ecucation, supporting a different method, in my experience will not publically acknowlege the benefits of cueing. The sheer simplicity of cueing, places these same professionals at a crossroads and the human desire to save face.

Eyeth,

I would liken cueing to typing as far as skill and practice goes. Once your body, and I do mean your body, because there is an enormous amount of stimulation and information that your entire body is receiving, memorizes the placements, efficiency developes. How do you eat an elephant, if not one bite at a time. :)

Eyeth
As for the Deaf Education community, CS relies on lipreading as an essential component, and this may turn off professionals from using it. After all, lipreading is a poor substitute and it assumes too much from a DHH child in his/her comprehension of spoken language. The failures of oral education, pre-1960's, still holds considerable influence among many professionals, and casts a negative sway over CS

I would agree some of your statements here Eyeth. Members of the NCSA are trying to educate people, the approach being, Cued English/Cued Speech. English being the language represented by the delivery system of Cued Speech. (also CuedFrench/Cued Speech etc.)

In reference to lip-reading, in fact we all do it from the moment we can see and are spoken to. Indeed CS relies on lipreading but with the clarification of handshape and placement.

Eyeth
Lastly, it would be nice to see if the CS association could commission a study to show CS's true efficacy in solving the language development problems among the DHH population. If they truly believe in the CS method, they should get the funding from Dept. of Education, initiate a comprehensive study of say, 50 CS users, tracking them from 1 to 9 years old, and publish results covering their English language development.

Eyeth,
The Cued Speech Resource Book: For Parents of Deaf CHildren - R. Orin Cornett, Ph.D & Mary Elsie Daisey, M.Ed. Copyright 2001

A factual, informative book, covering a myriad of topics, including in Chapter 25:
"Observations of Deaf Young People" : These 47 sections, written by deaf youngsters whose ages range from 4 years and ten months to 27 years of age, express their feelings and opinions about growing up deaf, about family, friends, school, life in general, and the future.

'The Cued Speech Resource Book: For Parents of Deaf CHildren' - R. Orin Cornett, Ph.D & Mary Elsie Daisey, M.Ed. Copyright 2001

There is also small book with follow-ups on some of these childrens. I do not have it in front of me at this time, sorry. I cannot tell you the time frame. I shall look, if you so desire.

Eyeth
Really, it's put up or shut up time for CS; Lately, CI's have been more successful, where DHH children can pick up spoken language and have a language foundation, when they are implanted early in infancy. If CI's become very successful and widespread, resulting in thousands of successful cases of DHH people with age-appropriate language abilities, that may well be the death knell of CS.

Cued English/Cued Speech has and continues to be successful.

CI's have been successful. There is developing research that is indentifying a number of those who are described as having wonderful speech and listening skills, but who had some “gaps in language skills”, “unsophisticated vocabularies”, etc. People need to recognize what they’re useful for AND what their limitations are. AV is not going away any time soon. We need to be encouraging parents to think about all facets of communication, not just speech intelligibility. The concept of CI’s for speech and CS for language is useful for many, many children.

Eyeth,
There are mutilple uses for Cued English/Cued Speech. You may find the following of interest to you. :)

http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/cued/uses.asp

Eyeth
should parents really stick to the CS regimen, and DHH children can reap the language development benefits akin to Deaf people of Deaf parents, or even similiar to how a regular child would acquire language in a normal household. That is the beauty of CS.

Absolutely!

Eyeth
Thank you for prodding me, at the least, to look into the subject. I have learned a little bit more about CS and its language development benefits. I do like it a lot, but I suspect that parents do not have the time, the keen interest, nor the discipline required for their DHH children's sake, to make CS a truly effective tool in a DHH student's communiations arsenal

Your welcome Eyeth. I in turn would like to thank you for taking the prodding. :)

I sincerely believe, that if parents are infromed of all the possible choices available to them, for the sake of the child, keen interest and discipline can be manifested.

ahhh yes accuracy before speed... goes for many things in life

ismi said:
I went to a CS workshop at my college last year, and I've gone to a few pub-hoppings with the group. I can't really express myself because of speed issues, but that's yet to come, I guess. I lip read well, though, so CS definitely feels comfortable - I was definitely more comfortable with it than the hearing students in the class.

I am happy to hear this ismi!

What I found interesting was that there was a pair of sisters at the workshop who signed with each other; their reason for learning CS was that one of them have chronic joint pain, so fingerspelling was a pain (literally and figuratively) and CS was that much more comfortable.

How very intersting!

All that said, though, I'm putting more priority on learning to sign; I've never met anyone, outside of that group, who cued, and the vast majority of the deaf I've met haven't even heard of CS. (Which is not to say that I'm going to drop CS entirely.)

I totally understand what you are saying here ismi.

Thank you. :)

CS are not for every deafies..... there are some deafies have no aptitudes to learn to read lips or speak some words at all... CS WONT HELP AT ALL

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie :dunno:

CS are not for every deafies..... there are some deafies have no aptitudes to learn to read lips or speak some words at all... CS WONT HELP AT ALL

SxyPorkie,

We are all different. I believe in givng everyone an opportunity to explore all their options.

ismi said:
I must echo your observations. I, too, have never met a CS user, either DHH or hearing. I have gone to a Deaf school, Gally, visited NTID, etc. If there were 5 degrees of seperation starring me as the focal point, I could easily reach 50% or more of the entire North American DHH population. And yet, I have not met even one CS user, although I have heard about it before, though.

I suspect that CS' perception may be an unfair one; Its proponents view CS to be used in a critical period of time for the DHH user in acquiring language, and not necessarily a communications method to be used well into adult life. Perhaps, many CS users, upon entering grade school, eventually pick up sign language, and rely on CS less and less. By the time they graduate from HS, they are full-blown sign language users and may have lost CS proficiency.

Not helping matters, admittedly, would be the general school system's reluctance to use CS and its methods in schooling. Parents can only continue interest in CS for so long, upon taking notice of signs that their DHH child is making use of residual hearing, having age-appropriate language skills, and/or communicating via sign language.

Despite all what I just said, it could be more of a case where I'm in the wrong social circles! ;)

book said:
"Observations of Deaf Young People" : These 47 sections, written by deaf youngsters whose ages range from 4 years and ten months to 27 years of age, express their feelings and opinions about growing up deaf, about family, friends, school, life in general, and the future.
Anecdotal evidence can only carry you so far. I'd rather see a study done on this subject, adhering to rigorous academic and scientific standards, based on objective measurements. Again, this would be nice, if the results could easily validate the use of the CS regimen in terms of English language development.

For too long, Deaf education has centered on speech language development, and the pendulum needs to swing the other way, upon English language development or whatever the DHH person's native language is. I'm still a strong believer in ASL and that it can promote English language development, but it would be nice if hearing parents can have the choice of using CS instead.

Eyeth said:
I must echo your observations. I, too, have never met a CS user, either DHH or hearing. I have gone to a Deaf school, Gally, visited NTID, etc. If there were 5 degrees of seperation starring me as the focal point, I could easily reach 50% or more of the entire North American DHH population. And yet, I have not met even one CS user, although I have heard about it before, though.

That actually surprises me quite a bit. While my exposure to the Deaf world is without a doubt less than yours, I've known a small handful of people who used CS, including someone on these boards (I'll let her talk about it if she wants) and also a co-worker.

I really want to learn Cued Speech. Unfortunately, my mom did not have every single resources available at the time she found out about my deafness. I still want to learn it. I think it might help "see" some speech better like for speech therapy. There are some things that sound alike and seem alike or doesn't seem clear on the lips that Cued Speech will be very handy. I am surprised that this system is not used widely. It's so simple and easy that I think every teacher of the deaf, hard of hearing and speech therapists and interpreters for dhh children should know about it. It's so easy to learn if you have the classes that I don't see the excuse not to require it.

Finding an Instructor

ClearSky
I still want to learn it

ClearSky,

Perhaps this link will provide some answers for you. :)

The National Cued Speech Association certifies beginning Cued Speech instructors to ensure consistent introductory training across the country. Certified Instructors of Cued Speech are proficient in Cued Speech production and are qualified to present information about Cued Speech and to teach beginning level Cued Speech courses

http://www.cuedspeech.org/sub/resources/findinstructor.asp

Lest you are "one up"

ayala920 said:
That actually surprises me quite a bit. While my exposure to the Deaf world is without a doubt less than yours, I've known a small handful of people who used CS, including someone on these boards (I'll let her talk about it if she wants) and also a co-worker.

ayala920,

Perhaps geographics has some bearing on it, I am not sure.

Gally used to have a Cued Speech department, I. King Jordans closed it. I am sure that politics were a major factor.

IMO, Cued English/Cued Speech is not well understood, and has historically had the back seat as far an options.

Eyeth said:
Anecdotal evidence can only carry you so far. I'd rather see a study done on this subject, adhering to rigorous academic and scientific standards, based on objective measurements. Again, this would be nice, if the results could easily validate the use of the CS regimen in terms of English language development.

Eyeth,

There is much research happening. I am not sure that it completely fits your criteria, but if you are interested, by all means please pm me and I shall share this information with you.

ayala920 said:
Heh. I suspect I have already met a couple of CS-users. Erm, make that ex-CS users! I guess ex-CS users don't casually bring up their CS upbringing in everyday conversations, or actually use it that often. At my Deaf school and at Gallaudet, everybody signed, and there was no incentive to even use CS in public or in the classroom.

Back