How do you sign...

Emmer

Reaction score
I was thinking there was a sticky topic where you could ask questions about how to sign a particular word, but I cannot find it. If it still exists, if someone could either post a link here or if a mod could just combine the threads, that would be great!

Signs I would like to know, descriptions are good, but a video would be awesome!

Graphic Design/graphic designer
Self-employed
Google (verb and noun, if there is anything)
Search engine (online)

:ty:!

I was thinking there was a sticky topic where you could ask questions about how to sign a particular word, but I cannot find it. If it still exists, if someone could either post a link here or if a mod could just combine the threads, that would be great!

Signs I would like to know, descriptions are good, but a video would be awesome!

Graphic Design/graphic designer
Self-employed
Google (verb and noun, if there is anything)
Search engine (online)

:ty:!

I'm surprised that you didn't get a response yet! I guess a lot of people are having fun -- it was a day off from work for many people in the US after all. :)

1) Aslpro has the sign for graphic designer in their dictionary:
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

I think they use frames, I can't link directly to the page --but just click on G and then graphic designer and it pops up.

2) It's a compound sign: SELF+WORK

That's per an old dictionary I have that was printed in 1994. Hopefully the sign didn't change.

(I've seen SELF signed slightly differently on different web sites -- I've been signing it the way it's signed at the Lifeprint . com dictionary.)

I was surprised that the sign doesn't include the sign for AGENT that is usually added to so many other similar words, e.g.

PROGRAM+AGENT == programmer
LAW+AGENT == lawyer

Just signing SELF+WORK -- IMHO, that could mean that you were doing work for yourself but not neccesarily that you are self-employed.

Maybe an experienced signer can comment on that or verify that.

3 & 4) I have a link to an on-line dictionary for technical words
Sign Language for Technology

And they didn't have either words!

I would think it would be OK to use the signs:
SEARCH and ENGINE for "search engine"

As for Google, I've been reading Bill Vicars comments at his website Life . print and it seems that if one doesn't have a sign for a specific word than you handle it by finger spelling it and then come to an agreement with the other signers on how you will sign that word during the rest of the conversation.

I would be tempted to do the search sign with the "g" instead of the "c" handshape, instead of repeatedly finger spelling "Google". I'm new to ASL, I hope signing that way isn't a sin! If it is, I'll guess I'll find out soon. :)

Last edited:
Back