How do you sign...

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
for Blouse?

Sandals?

Asian?

Thanks.

How I sign flip flops…. I saw some one do something like this, I cannot remember exactly so I do my own version. People understand me though. Non-dominant hand out as if I was signing shoe. Dominant hand in the “F” shape under the non-dominant hand fingers pointed in towards me. Then I do the motion with the dominant hand that the flip flops make and I mouth “flip flop”. It might be wrong but no Deaf person has ever questioned me on it.

Audism is a term used to describe discrimination or stereotypes against Deaf or hard of hearing people because they are Deaf.

Audism is a term used to describe discrimination or stereotypes against Deaf or hard of hearing people because they are Deaf.

Some people also use it to describe d/Deaf people who discriminate against hearing (or other deaf) based on their hearing or their preferred language. (Granted, this usage is a lot rarer.)

for Blouse?

Sandals?

Asian?

blouse is same as shirt, no need for the distinction.

sandals....depends on the type.
flip flops= left hand flat, palm down, tips out right index finger pointing down goes between index and middle finger of left hand.
birkenstocks=left hand flat, palm down tips out, right hand "c"handshape facing up, slides on underside of left hand.

asian= use thier specific heritage if you dont wanna offend, there is non-offensive signs for every country. if you dont know thier heritage, fingerspell it.

any handshape just wiggled out in the air like "washing a window", ive always seen as a "filler" sign, people use it when they have no idea what the real sign is, or when there isn't a sign for it, they use it temporarily. its fine if you wanna do that, but you need to set it up in the conversation of speech.

How I sign flip flops…. I saw some one do something like this, I cannot remember exactly so I do my own version. People understand me though. Non-dominant hand out as if I was signing shoe. Dominant hand in the “F” shape under the non-dominant hand fingers pointed in towards me. Then I do the motion with the dominant hand that the flip flops make and I mouth “flip flop”. It might be wrong but no Deaf person has ever questioned me on it.

not to criticize your sign, just an observation.

i could be wrong, but i dont think dominant hand can be under the recessive hand....i did your sign as im sitting here and it felt funky, couldn't figure out why then that dawned on me. im sitting here trying to think of a sign where the dominant hand is underneath the recessive hand, and i can't find one.
cloest i could think of was "fart", recessive hand "s" handshape, dominant hand covers end of fist and "blows" out....but that faces the person, not pointing downward.....any comments on my theory?

not to criticize your sign, just an observation.

i could be wrong, but i dont think dominant hand can be under the recessive hand....i did your sign as im sitting here and it felt funky, couldn't figure out why then that dawned on me. im sitting here trying to think of a sign where the dominant hand is underneath the recessive hand, and i can't find one.
cloest i could think of was "fart", recessive hand "s" handshape, dominant hand covers end of fist and "blows" out....but that faces the person, not pointing downward.....any comments on my theory?
Do you mean dominant hand moving under the non-dominant hand?

COPY, XEROX, GARAGE, BELOW, UP-TO, PROPHESY, SUBWAY, SUBMARINE, HYPOCRITE, SOCCER, HIDE

So audism can be used to discribe d/Deaf people that discriminate about hearing people as well as hearing people that discriminate about d/Deaf people? True?

So audism can be used to discribe d/Deaf people that discriminate about hearing people as well as hearing people that discriminate about d/Deaf people? True?

Additionally, I've seen deafies call other deafies audists, too.

Back