How do you sign "rock & roll"?

Yeah, I've seen that also but it seemed very English and non-conceptual to me. For someone with no English background it doesn't make sense. The "rock" in "rock & roll" doesn't have anything to do with "rocks" or "stones" or "hardness".

I understand that sometimes new signs show up in the Deaf community that aren't conceptual, for whatever reason.

But thanks for the input. :) I guess there is no one "right" sign for the phrase. :dunno:

You are right..someone would need a strong English background to figure it out.

Because I work with young ones who are acquiring English as their 2nd language so if I wanted to sign that conceptually accurate, I would use the ASL sign for guitar and shake my head up and down as if I was playing in a concert. I know it is kinda dramatic but that is the best way toget the message across to what kind of music it is. Does that person have any background knowledge of different kinds of music?

Why not the sign for rock followed by the sign for roll. :dunno:

Because the conceptual message would be as if Reba is interpreting a lecture about rocks rolling (literally). It would be a confusing message to the person she is interpreting for. SEE is too confusing for many deaf people who do not have experience with English.

That's why I never recommend it as a means of language acquisition. Only when the person is familiar with English or has a strong first language and is able to figure out the signs and put it all together.

Because the conceptual message would be as if Reba is interpreting a lecture about rocks rolling (literally). It would be a confusing message to the person she is interpreting for. SEE is too confusing for many deaf people who do not have experience with English.

That's why I never recommend it as a means of language acquisition. Only when the person is familiar with English or has a strong first language and is able to figure out the signs and put it all together.
Right. The original concept of "rock 'n' roll" was the human body moving, rocking and rolling. It wasn't about a rock "stone" but about the rocking motion.

Maybe the "rocks rolling" SEE sign would work for the group "Rolling Stones", ha, ha. ("A rolling stone gathers no moss.") :lol:

You are right..someone would need a strong English background to figure it out.

Because I work with young ones who are acquiring English as their 2nd language so if I wanted to sign that conceptually accurate, I would use the ASL sign for guitar and shake my head up and down as if I was playing in a concert. I know it is kinda dramatic but that is the best way toget the message across to what kind of music it is. Does that person have any background knowledge of different kinds of music?
Mostly young adults, so I would say yes.

I don't know how the head shaking would look done by an old lady like me. :lol:

So then how would you sign Rock and Roll? :rockon:

Just like I described in post #21 :)
oh.. kind of like this then eh?
music-smiley-006.gif

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Reba said:
Now it's my turn to ask for sign help. :)

What sign do you use for "rock & roll" music?

I can't get a consistent answer from my local Deaf community. Many people just spell "rock" and then sign MUSIC.

But I really need a sign. There is one person that I interpret for who doesn't read or write, and so I'm trying to stay away from spelling out words, for now.

I've seen some people use the "devil's horns" :rockon: sign upward for rockers, and downward for hip hop. Is that right?

Please excuse an old granny who doesn't keep up with the current music scene. :dj: I don't listen to that music myself but I want to keep up with current signs relating to pop culture. :P

:ty:

Try what they've always done since the 80's - it's an internationally recognized sign by displaying "the horns" in the air and banging your head a few times. If you want to say you love rock, display "the horns" (palm toward you) below your chin and do the Gene Simmons tongue deal. Now I know you're conservative, this will make you look ridiculous, but it will make your point across. :lol:

Reba,

How I don't envy you. As we all know, everything needs to be taken in context. So this brings up the questions, "What exactly is Rock and Roll?" and "Is this what is really meant?"

Personally, I think of Rock and Roll music as coming from the 1950s and 1960s. The more modern type I consider "Rock".

If the discussion is about 1950s music, I don't think the "rock on" sign would be appropriate. For that, I would fingerspell "rock" and sign music. To me, the "rock on" sign would be more appropriate for the hard rock or heavy metal type of music.

But then again, would all these genres of music make sense to your typical, everyday Deaf person?

To me, signing anything about music makes my head want to spin because I find it rather difficult to convey the concepts.

You can do it, Reba! After all, Keith Richards is still touring. . . He's like 105, isn't he? :laugh2:

I'm no expert, but I'b do r r music or sign rock roll music. Got a song in my head now. Make that 2 now.

My sign for rock and roll is the pointed index and pinky finger with fist as the smiley looks (can't figure out how to do that yet since I usually use the quick reply) with elbow bent and forearm pointed upward moving back and forth without the head-banging which for me would be the heavy metal or hard rock. Also, depending on the beat I may bob my head left and right and maybe tap my toes.

My sign for rock and roll is the pointed index and pinky finger with fist as the smiley looks (can't figure out how to do that yet since I usually use the quick reply) with elbow bent and forearm pointed upward moving back and forth without the head-banging which for me would be the heavy metal or hard rock. Also, depending on the beat I may bob my head left and right and maybe tap my toes.

:werd:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Try what they've always done since the 80's - it's an internationally recognized sign by displaying "the horns" in the air and banging your head a few times. If you want to say you love rock, display "the horns" (palm toward you) below your chin and do the Gene Simmons tongue deal. Now I know you're conservative, this will make you look ridiculous, but it will make your point across. :lol:

What he said, and even hearies know what it means! Rock on baby:rockon:!

Back