How do you know when you've lost your voice?

KhroniKali

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and I'm not feeling well. At home, I'm pretty oral. I sign with some of the ones who know a little and am teaching more but for the most part, I'm oral because it's easier for everyone else. I know, I know, please no lecture. I'm working on this and want to become more signer than oral again. Anyways, when I do speak (I talk to myself everymorning before I talk to a person as practice) if feels pretty grindy... if that makes sense, and it's hard to tell if anything is coming out. When I put my hand on my throat, I can feel air moving but I don't feel those vocal vibrations.

So other than someone else telling you, how do you know when you've lost your voice?

By feel.
I can feel my voice in my chest. When I get hoarse, I know.
It is one of those you just have to get down to feeling the sensations.

I lose my voice without fault every spring for about a month from allergies. I always sign and talk simultaneously. I know before I lose my voice my nose and upper throat area will get a little raw when I swallow and my breath when I try to talk will feel like it skips and looses then gains traction... it comes out too smooth then skips here and there and feels like it catches. I get lightheaded too very quickly like I'm overexerting to be heard.

The last time I was sick, I had strep, bronchitis and laryngitis. I had absolutely no idea that I had lost my voice. It went from being there at the doctor's office to 15 minutes later being totally gone while I was at the pharmacy. I gave them my prescriptions, they asked me a question, I answered and it was gone and they couldn't understand me. I couldn't feel it, either. Once the laryngitis got worse I was able to tell that my vocal cords were not responding properly but there was a bit of learning curve there for me.

Yeah, I have gotten to where I just don't like talking much at all. I have developed a 'deaf accent' apparently, and since I can't hear myself anymore when I do talk it feels like I am ripping my throat out because apparently I am damn near screaming at the top of my lungs. LOL

Back