How do you feel when hearing ppls. are...

ASLsTuDeNt2 said:
Now that I know Sign Language, and my friends and I converse, I notice people staring at me, and I do find it annoying, and its frusterating.

I see where your coming from. Yes people can be very rude.

I posted this in another thread about a year ago, but it bears repeating here. I have a couple of friends who are hearing and fluent in ASL. They like to go to Denny’s and pretend they’re deaf. Some of the comments they get are hilarious—like the little kid who asked his mother "mommy, what are they doing"? The mother replied "shhh"! "They’re deaf—don’t stare". Another classic was the dumbass trucker who asked the waitress "what the hell are they doing over there?" The waitress replied "I don’t know—I think they’re deaf". And the trucker replied "well, it looks stupid to me".

Yeah. I was one of those deafies. The waitress told me what the trucker said, so I walked over and strangled him.
With my bare hands.
His tongue stuck out like a banana.
He crapped his pants.
It was a mess.
"Course, I am a bit more laid-back now.

My husband is a hearing and I am deaf. I don't care if hearing people stare at me. I would stare at them back or ingore them. If hearing people make fun of my signing, I will make fun of their mouth back. They would stop suddenly. I don't like to be mean but they asked for it.

sometime it bother me when they whispter and laughin while lookin at me. I did walk to them "Dou have any problems with me and my friends" they walk off

Beowulf said:
Yeah. I was one of those deafies. The waitress told me what the trucker said, so I walked over and strangled him.
With my bare hands.
He crapped his pants.
It was a mess.

:lol: I hope he learned his shit lesson! :smash:

Have you all heard of this true story about Deafies in Canada..It is about Deafies group at resturant...anyways...here is the story...

Deafies group went to resturant...sat in circle table...while they enjoyed laughing and chatting...Hearies sat across from Deafies...of course...starred at Deafies...

The whole entire time, Hearies pointed and mocked at Deafies's sign languages....sooooo until Deafies decided to revenge back to Hearies...

How? Here it goes...Deafies agreed then....

Deafies all were leaving the table...except ONE deaf person...this person walked straight to the pay phone, picked up the phone ~ pretended to dial it...then lay the phone down, signed (sign language) to it...then hung up and left...

All of these Hearies were :jaw: ........so one of hearing guy got up and walked straight to the pay phone...starred at it...then picked up the phone and lay it down....

All Deafies stood outside at the window....starred at what happened...They all :giggle: :lol: :laugh2: They banned the window...hearing guy saw them :wave: at him and others.... :laugh2: :fu2: :bye:

Hearies :jaw: Its a true story!! :D

coloravalanche said:
Have you all heard of this true story about Deafies in Canada..It is about Deafies group at resturant...anyways...here is the story...

-snip-

Hearies :jaw: Its a true story!! :D

I thought that was a skit played out by some deaf group at Gallaudet. :confused:

I just hadda laugh at some stories by Levonian, Katzie, Kuifje and Angel! :twisted:

I have been always cordial, if not staring right back with a smile.. just for a few seconds and then going back to what I were doing previously before the rudeness. A few times I have waved, and usually don't get a reply. *shrug* People can be curious, and get frightened if anything goes beyond that. Kinda reminds me if I ever stare at something I think is an oddity, I gotta do it with a smile and be prepared to take it beyond that. :twisted:

Liza said:
I thought that was a skit played out by some deaf group at Gallaudet. :confused:

Nope, it was true story happened in Canada. My deaf friend is from Canada and told me what happened. It was his friends who did these things! :D

That's fine as long they dont tell me 'to wash my hands' as sometimes they think I'm talking dirty.

Richard Roehm

With my bare hands.
He crapped his pants.
It was a mess.

IDK, I have a hard time believing that especially the crapping in his pants. Hmmm...?

How Can You Deal with People Who are Staring at us?

Well , personally if I'm talking a little louder than normal and I notice some strangers or unknown people are staring at me. I tried to remember to stare right back at them but with a very pretty smile. It usually gets them to look the other way. In meantime, if you have enough guts, just go up to them, and say. Is there something I can do for you OR is there something wrong?
That's another thing that will shut them up.
I know it's very agitating. I"m in my early 40's and I'm still seeing Aliens TOO everywhere. LOL.

Scraplaholic Sarah Lee

I'm hearing but sign because my son is deaf. My hearing friends know I sign, but then all of a sudden we'll be in a situation where I'm using sign, communicating with deaf people or with someone who is hearing but across the room or something. And all of a sudden it hits my friends that I can do that and they are excited about it. Not all staring is meant in a negative way. It's just that signing is not something people see regularly, unless they happen to be around a community where there are a lot of signing people.

Cheri said:
When people staring at me I just "wave Hi" at them... then they will stop staring at me. when people stare at you some times they think something about you interested them. :)
lol i do the same thing, they'd look embarrassed and look away immediately.. makes me laugh inside my mind but I know some hearing people are curious.

Back