How do you feel when hearing ppls. are...

Roadrunner

Reaction score
How do you feel when hearing ppls. are staring when you and your friend(s), spouses, etc., is signing in public places such as in restaurants, stores, etc.?

It irks me if they constantly stare at me and not coming over to introduce themselves. If I see someone openly staring at me -- I'd stare back at them. :lol:

Well, they do, as I realised afterward who cares about them as I will never seen them again and I am not ashamed if they stared at me, and my hearing daughters noticed it too and they give them the same treatment back as they did to us in first place. My hearing daughters have better confidence than me!

I'm cool with anyone staring at me. I'd do nothing other than smiling at them and do whatever I'm doing..

I'd not let anyone with me to "get back" at them for staring at us! :)

When people staring at me I just "wave Hi" at them... then they will stop staring at me. when people stare at you some times they think something about you interested them. :)

Cheri said:
When people staring at me I just "wave Hi" at them... then they will stop staring at me. when people stare at you some times they think something about you interested them. :)

You hit it right on the head. Just think that you are interesting :)

I personally do not like staring either, but if it happens staring back works but do it with a smile :) :wave:

Well, I don't but when I did with interpreter back or if someone knows me that I am deaf and comes up and sign, then people stare, and it can be uncomfortable because I don't like the attention. Then, other people notice my voice, and if they know me like from the same place like a hair salon, and they know me, then their treatment becomes different like oooo she's deaf, so I must face her. I don't know, their attitude are loud (obvious) and contagious (other people begin to copy the same attitude) and do the same to me. It just makes me want to go elsewhere because I can't stop knowing that their attitude towards me is different.

Have you ever had your "treatment" different? If so, how do you deal with it so that they treat you as normal as possible? How do you tell them without insulting them?

just yesterday at my job orientation thing, there was two hot guys staring at me and my interpreters. I wanted to say hello, ha ha ha ha... all kidding aside, I stare back at them, and sometimes ask the waiter to ask them if they think I am a celebrity?

Well, I guess Ive trained myself to ignore the staring...becuz for as long as I live and speak/sign, peeps will stare at me...so I just go about my business and keep on what Ive been doing all that time.

I did have one strange experience, though. I was at a restaurant with a friend of mine, and a couple kept staring at us while we were signing...I noticed it after a while, because they kept watching us, and I mean REALLY watching...I turned around and signed to them if there were anything wrong, and they...*gasp*...signed back!

That's what bothers me...that two people were peeping on a private conversation, and I did get up and go to their table and ask why they were watching us - they apologized and said that they didn't mean to be nosey, but that they had noticed what we were talking about and had gotten interested - I told them it was pretty rude, left them and told the waiter to cancel our orders, as we were leaving the restauarant.

It never really left my mind - that there are peeps that do undy what you're saying, and taking advantage of our conversation...wowza!

Well, most of hearing little kids were stared at my sign language in the pubic. If I were in serious discuss with friends or family. I would feel, it is annoyed for them to stare at me which is impolite and no respect.

Their parents do tell their children, please turn around and sit down at the restruant.

If my discussion wasn't serious. I would say hello with smile my face. It is depend on what we were talking about.

As for the teenager kids are very curious what we were talking about. Most of them know sign language a little bit because my two sons taught them in this town.

:lol: you are so hilarious
kuifje75 just yesterday at my job orientation thing, there was two hot guys staring at me and my interpreters. I wanted to say hello, ha ha ha ha... all kidding aside, I stare back at them, and sometimes ask the waiter to ask them if they think I am a celebrity?

Dang.. I did not approach you to do autograph.

To be honest, It kinda makes me feel uncomfortable because, everytime I eat at a restaurant, I have to make sure there's no food on my face so I don't embrassed myself when they're watching me eat like a pig heh...

Other times when I am at the store with Roadrunner, people stare at us when we sign to eachother, and I just look at them and say ' Hi ' with my voice and they would be like :shock: , maybe because they think Deaf people can't talk ...LOL

And most of the time, I just ignore them by thinking the only reason they stare at us is because signs sure can look more interesting and beautiful to watch....like they would want to learn it along too....

Sometimes I just think it as if they were staring at me because I'm a cutie?..heh..

kuifje75 said:
just yesterday at my job orientation thing, there was two hot guys staring at me and my interpreters. I wanted to say hello, ha ha ha ha... all kidding aside, I stare back at them, and sometimes ask the waiter to ask them if they think I am a celebrity?

ahahaha that's a good one ! :) "Good Attitude"

Last edited:
I get uneasy then when I get my fuel up and say, "Didn't your mother ever tell you that it's not polite to stare?"

:lol: @ Katzie, that was a good advice , Ill use that line next time. Thanks girl!

Cheri said:

I second that! :D

If it's an adult I worrry that I might be making noise or something (especailly in a resturant.. when you can't hear yourself eat and you're hungry... well they don't know you can't hear yourself and they think you're being rude. ) It depends on the situation.

I have not seen a lot of people stare.. mostly small children. I recall having lunch with a deaf friend and she and I were signing away and a small child, probably about 2 or 3 years old, seemed increadibly facinated with us. I thought it was cute.

Katzie said:
I get uneasy then when I get my fuel up and say, "Didn't your mother ever tell you that it's not polite to stare?"
Yes thats right.
Plus we point people if I was telling "YOU" in sign language (Auslan and BSL) it is very very rude gesture in British and Australian's manners but its ok for deaf people, it's hard but live with it. Hearing people don't like it.

farmerjoe said:
If it's an adult I worrry that I might be making noise or something (especailly in a resturant.. when you can't hear yourself eat and you're hungry... well they don't know you can't hear yourself and they think you're being rude. ) It depends on the situation.

I have not seen a lot of people stare.. mostly small children. I recall having lunch with a deaf friend and she and I were signing away and a small child, probably about 2 or 3 years old, seemed increadibly facinated with us. I thought it was cute.
Yes lots of deaf people don't realised they are making noise when chew foods, thats life, my hearing family know and sometimes remind me, I thank them as I don't meant to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a hearing point of view

Hello,

As a hearing person, who now knows your culture, and your language, I can understand how it can be bothersome. I can admit that before I had any knowledge, I used to watch people sign. I never ment it to be rude, I personally did it because I was fasinated with the language, but those who I am staring at are not aware of why im staring, so yes it was and is very rude to do so. I am not sticking up for hearing people, because staring at anyone because of something that you may think is different, is extremely rude, but people are nosey, and curious, and dont realize their ignorance when doing so.
Now that I know Sign Language, and my friends and I converse, I notice people staring at me, and I do find it annoying, and its frusterating.

I see where your coming from. Yes people can be very rude.

ASLsTuDeNt2

Back