How do you feel about "deaf wannabees"?

prostock19 said:
I am a hearie, and it's not that I want to be deaf, but if it was to happen to me, I wouldn't mind all that much. I think it is stupid that someone would want to make themselves deaf. I do admit, sometimes when I am with deafies, I would act deaf so I won't be the only hearie there. My friends think it is funny when I order from a menu by pointing like them.

If I was in a deaf group with you in a restaurant and I see you ordering from menu, pointing at food items on the menu as if you were deaf, you would have brought a HUGE smile on my face and trying hard not to laugh. I can picture you doing that and my watching other deafies reactions. You're one of us, really...:) :ily:

I honestly think this would have to be some sort of mental illness or personality disorder. I just find it bizarre.

It's a case of "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it". LIke when I was a small child, I thought it would be neat to have a broken leg and get crutches and have everyone sign your cast. It seemed really special at the time. Then when I was a teenager, I did break my leg and have to go around on crutches for 9 weeks. Why on earth did I ever think that crutches and a cast would be great? It certainly wasn't fun in the slightest.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
I hate that when cruel children pointed their fingers at me and stare at me and asked me what is that!?!!?!

ship2.gif
Did you tell them that you are an alien ?
alienated2.gif

Why I am wearing the hearing aids. I could not find a job ! I am very upset because I can't find a man. I need to become a hearing if you could give me a medication to cure my hearing level ?

Banjo said:
Anybody who would want to completely destroy one of their senses obviously need to get some professional help.

For once, Banjo, I'd have to agree with you. I mean, losing my sense of taste, (though it would also have to mean losing my sense of smell to give it the full effect) could be nice because it would be a lot easier to eat healthy goods and stuff. However, I would like to be able to smell if something's burning, or a baby, or....
I really enjoy ASL, enjoy meeting people in the deaf community, and learning about deaf culture. If I did for some reason become deaf, I wouldn't feel like ALL HOPE IS LOST!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!
BUT, it would be frustrating not to be able to communicate as easily with my family and hearing friends. Also, people learn so much about the world by "overhearing" other people's conversations; I would miss that. There are certain sounds, like children laughing, and selects types of music, that I would really miss.
Some people do want to become deaf because of the culture and the people, I know some CODA's have felt this way. They feel it would be easier to be fully in the deaf world, (especially if they have all deaf siblings, like a teacher of mine did) than be "mostly a part of both.
I think though, when a lot of people SAY they want to be deaf, and they are learning sign or don't know deaf people very well, they are saying to try and make the deaf person feel better. I was guilty of it the beginning of my first semester :( **hides in embarrassment** When hearing people don't understand at least some of the complexities that go into deafness, they say that to try and be polite rather than because they really mean it.

just my thoughts, ttyl

Thats way too slow and painful experience. Don't you know what the real M-80 firecracker... Not the fake legal one, Im talking about ILLEGAL, and REAL one. Man! I couldn't believe how loud it was!

Yeah, they're SO explosive!!! Had a friend who popped that M80 and I couldn't believe how LOUD it was. Not only that it was loud, it also created a sonic boom - you could feel the pop MAJOR TIME!

-jeff

netrox said:
Yeah, they're SO explosive!!! Had a friend who popped that M80 and I couldn't believe how LOUD it was. Not only that it was loud, it also created a sonic boom - you could feel the pop MAJOR TIME!

-jeff

yeah, we had someone set one off at school last year, the WHOLE CAMPUS heard it, and many people felt it. One of my friends had the wonderful experience of being right next to it as it went off, he's blind, and then that made him partially deaf for a couple days, he wasn't too impressed. (knowing him, he was probably involved in getting and setting it off in some way, but that's another story)
People who want to go through pain to destroy their senses should, simply put, not be allowed near any sharp or blunt objects. Can you say straightjacket?

Exactly! Very sonic boom, unreal!

Also, the boom is maybe 2 or 3 seconds long! Much longer than regular cute firecracker which have very short bang.

netrox said:

-jeff

well...

Not that too many ppl are going to really respond to one of my posts, since only a couple of you do...but anyway, I am not deaf, I hear perfectly fine. I think it is disturbing that someone would want to make themselves deaf willingly. I have a couple of friends who are deaf, or hard of hearing. I personally want to know sign language for my daughter but I also do think it is a beautiful way to communicate...weird maybe, but I think it is. Hell I "talk with my hands" normally LOL I appreciate everyday the things that most hearing ppl take for granted, the sound of a child laughing, and the bird's songs, the sounds of water gently moving down a stream, and the list goes on. I personally would never want to miss out on those things and wished all ppl never had to. But in life things happen and ppl do miss out on a lot of thigns...but also those same ppl could experience things that the rest of us never would be able to. There are pros and cons to everything in life...good and bad will always go together. I try to look to the good in everything personally. Everyone who is deaf, to me has a beautiful way to speak...it is different to me, that is why I think it is beautiful, I love things unique and different. :) But to others, to hear one sound would be beautiful to them. So why wish we are something we are not? To me, everyone whould cherish the good in whatever they have in their life!

I concur with your post. That was beautiful. You are so sweet and full of love. People who do not try to get to know you better are really missing out.

aaaawww ty

mlkshkgrl said:
I concur with your post. That was beautiful. You are so sweet and full of love. People who do not try to get to know you better are really missing out.

I am blushing now...ty hon :) Glad I am able to get to know kind ppl like you ;) Have a great day!! :wave:

Steel said:
or even tune up the volume to the highest as possible on your boom box with your headphones connected 24/7? :D
couldn't agree more. i do it on a daily basis, unintentionally of course...

Wow Dragon... *sniff* *sniff* that was.. wow... *sniffle*

Kudos C_Dragon, Kudos

I think you "hit the nail on the head" to use an idiom, (wrong thread I know, but anyway). Hearing people should be happy they are hearing, and deaf people should be happy with, or hopefully try and accept, that they are deaf. If people could all accept themselves, the world would be a much better place.

Back