How do you do hearing tests?

Sabiya

Reaction score
After some thorough research, I finally realized what I've been denying all along: I have tinnitus. But it's only affecting me when it's too quiet and when I'm anticipating certain sounds. Like if I think someone's gonna knock soon, I'd "hear" a knocking noise about four times before a REAL knock happens. That kind of thing.

This applies during hearing tests too. Those beeps and hums are easy to "memorize" so I usually "hear" them when they aren't there, it doesn't help that the quiet aggravates it.

In the past, I used to guess during the hearing tests ALL the time, pushing the button every single time those sounds are heard, whether it was "all in my head" or actual sounds. But looking through my hearing score, from five years ago, one thing stood out to me. I had 90db hearing loss on my left ear the first time I took the test, 60db loss the second time and the average was 60-65db throughout.

I can't get the 90db out of my mind, I don't remember how I took the test years ago, but 90db is a huge difference compared to 60db. It made me wonder if the 90db was my actual score WITHOUT guessing and 60db was my score WITH guessing.

So how do you take the tests? I've heard that you're not supposed to guess because it botches your score and can give you the wrong results, others say to go ahead and guess because the score will be accurate. Which is right? I keep thinking my score's higher because I guessed and my hearing loss is actually worse :shock:

They lock you in a small room with a big bell and see how you react when it rung.

My Audi tells me she takes into consideration facial expressions. At least for the word test. I always give a quizzical look when I guess with the beeps or the words.

My Audi tells me she takes into consideration facial expressions. At least for the word test. I always give a quizzical look when I guess with the beeps or the words.
I just say a bazaar, nonsense or dirty word/sentence when I don't know what was said... Usually good for a laugh

I'm not sure I agree about hearing the knock before it actually happens? Is this in a sound booth or like at home?

As for the sound booth itself, I often think I "hear" the beeps but I actually don't. My Audi says she can tell when that happens and it happens to a lot of people.

:lol:...never forget when my employer told me I had to have a hearing test...even tho' I'm a full-blown deafie since pre-teens....(but still oral too)...The lady was talking to me, saying "when you hear the sound, just raise ur hand or finger, OK?"....so I said..."Okay, gotcha"...

She assumed I could hear somewhat :)giggle:)....so she got to fiddling around with the machine and the knobs...I just sat there.....*waiting*....and *waiting*.....she finally got this puzzled look on her face....then I saw her turning both knobs all the way over....and I just sat there....*waiting and waiting*.....she looked at me and exclaimed...."Oh my, why didn't you tell me you were profoundly deaf?".....(as if it were a waste of her time...and no HA was gonna help me)....Soooo. No Sale!

This was many years ago...and yeah, I did get the job anyway...just proved my assumption that if a deafie can talk and read lips....people assume they are "faking"....

I'm not sure I agree about hearing the knock before it actually happens? Is this in a sound booth or like at home?

As for the sound booth itself, I often think I "hear" the beeps but I actually don't. My Audi says she can tell when that happens and it happens to a lot of people.

Yeah that will happen to me too , I will push the button thinking I heard a
'beep' ,. The last hearing test I had my audi used recording for the words part and I had trouble understanding most of the words. I did better when
my audi said the words .

RR, my ex-husband had to take hearing tests at work because they work at a loud printing company. The tester (not an Audi, just a hired tester) was dumbfounded when my ex failed miserably, and THEN my ex told the tester he was already deaf. The tester was not too happy he wasn't warned first. Kind of funny for us, not so much for the tester.

RR, my ex-husband had to take hearing tests at work because they work at a loud printing company. The tester (not an Audi, just a hired tester) was dumbfounded when my ex failed miserably, and THEN my ex told the tester he was already deaf. The tester was not too happy he wasn't warned first. Kind of funny for us, not so much for the tester.

I had to take a hearing test at GE and the woman giving me the test was telling how to take it . She knew I was HOH , the vice president told her. The woman was getting upset that I was not raising my hand when I heard the 'beep' . And told me I needed to raise my hand! I told her I am not hearing the beeps. She saw me take my HA off too , she was also very
dumbfounded I failed miserably. Yeah thinking about this now is funny. When the woman realize just how bad my hearing was she started to over
pronounce her words making harder to read her lips . And she was writing letters in the air for me to read. :laugh2:

I notice the test is shorter when you are in the profound level it really makes for a quicker test ..

I notice the test is shorter when you are in the profound level it really makes for a quicker test ..
Yep. I just tell them I'll let you know when I can Feel the beep. It kinda tickles a bit

That is true for me! I can be in and out of there in 10 mins for both ears because they know there's zero point in testing the lower db loss levels if you're already profound.

That is true for me! I can be in and out of there in 10 mins for both ears because they know there's zero point in testing the lower db loss levels if you're already profound.

The test just gets shorter and shorter !

The test just gets shorter and shorter !

Yep -- once they know what db level you are at, it's "hey, you're pretty deaf! Let's get you out of this soundbooth and see how much money I can make off you for new HAs."

(Just kidding! I love my Audi. She's a very sweet lady. She's never pushed anything on me, ever. I've heard not-so-good stories from others, though.)

I have that and I hate it when it comes trying to decipher which is real and what's not. :P

So I just wait until I actually sense it in a way.. or hear it.

As for the earplug thing in the ears, I used to have that done alot when I had some hearing left but when my hearing dropped, it's now pointless and all it does.. makes my ears itch like crazy lol.

I once told my audiologist to turn up the volume up high when she kept asking is it loud enough, as I thought if it was loud enough, I'd could hear every beep possible in these earplug things. She caught me though cause her voice made my spine tickle. :(

Never liked doing these tests...

And my audiologist also likes to make me listen to tapes of a person talking with increasing background noise sounds the further in the test we go, and I would have to repeat what the person said (either words or sometimes sentences).

Those are a little hard but I like it better... it's a little more challenging. :)

Back