How do you deal

charlotte1

Reaction score
How do you deal with hearing people mocking the way you talk? Here in the UK there is quite a bit of it goes on well in my town there is. I personally dont care but my young daughter gets upset when she realises that not only other kids but sometimes adults have mocked her speech.

Unfortunately, there are rude, insensitive, ignorant people every where you go. They are best ignored. I always explained to my son that he should simply ignore their actions, and to feel sorry for them, as they obviously had never been taught any better, and must feel very bad about themselves if they had to resort to making fun of others in order to make themselves feel good avout themselves.

An expert post by an expert. Thanks, Jillio.

The same happens in writing . . . people who communicate in ASL tend to write as ASL looks to them. They receive lots of criticism for it and are ridiculed and labeled by those with only marginally better skills.

Naturally, it hurts and they withdraw.

Currently, some members with degrees of assisted hearing are complaining because some total deafies are not more open to them. Perhaps one reason could be the constant jeering at deafie's attempts to translate ASL to written English.

Last edited:

The same happens in writing . . . people who communicate in ASL tend to write as ASL looks to them. They receive lots of criticism for it and are ridiculed and labeled by those with only marginally better skills.

Currently, some members with degrees of assisted hearing are complaining because some total deafies of not more open to them. Perhaps one reason could be the constant jeering at deafie's attempts to translate ASL to written English.

YW. And I couldn't agree with you more. Few are able to recognize that their own actions are the basis for rejection. It is much easier to blame the other.

Currently, some members with degrees of assisted hearing are complaining because some total deafies are not more open to them. Perhaps one reason could be the constant jeering at deafie's attempts to translate ASL to written English.

Very well said, Chase. Might I add, there's a person here that I was always editing his or her post when I replied, because he or she posted as if he or she were signing. I don't do that anymore, even though it almost drives me nuts not to edit. The only editing I do now is to delete part of what I will quote and leave the rest of that poster's post alone.

I'm aware of the deaf squeal (I believe that's what it's called) and I ignore it. When people gawk and point at me and Snickers, I ignore them, unless it's a bit much by them . . . usually by a parent to a toddler, which the parent knows better than to do that. :roll:

Well, I don't speak English so.

I'm sure I have been made fun of more often than I know, but often I am not aware if someone is doing it (since I can't really see what people do very well)

Though I have learned not to try and get a strangers attention and talk to them by myself. Even though I tend to keep a small whiteboard with erasable marker with me, plus a notepad and pen, I have had times in public where I try to solicit communications with someone and get ignored and even avoided.

So usually if I'm going to somewhere unfamiliar, I don't go alone. And even places I know well, which are close by to me, I only go alone if people there are familiar with me (like my pharmacy) and only do it rarely.

mock back at them... mock how they look when they mock :)

other than that, I'll just ignore them..

mock back at them... mock how they look when they mock :)

other than that, I'll just ignore them..

While mocking back is always tempting because they look so ignorant and goofy, its best not to lower yourself to their level.

Unfortunately, there are rude, insensitive, ignorant people every where you go. They are best ignored. I always explained to my son that he should simply ignore their actions, and to feel sorry for them, as they obviously had never been taught any better, and must feel very bad about themselves if they had to resort to making fun of others in order to make themselves feel good avout themselves.

Well said! :)

I think mocking deaf people's writing will just make them more afraid and willing to write therefore hurting their chances to improve their writing skills. I think that's the worst thing anyone can do.

they make fun of you because they know you're better than them. They just want to feel validated. Fighting them back will just make them feel better about themselves. Simply just ignore them and by doing that, it makes them feel shameful about themselves for being useless and ignorant. :o

I agree with you all...

And people who made fun of deaf people have made fun of other people too... so it isn't you, it's them...

Thank you everyone for your replies, as I said it doesnt bother me if they do it to me but my kid is young and sensitive.

Been through a lot of this during my childhood years.

Charlotte, what I would advise you to talk with your daughter about this and encourage her to ignore them, etc.

Oh, I was mocked plenty while growing up. And it hurt. The best I could do was to ignore them. I even tried mocking them back but that only spurred them on more, so I gave that up and tried hard to ignore them. It's hard. I wish I had better advice for you, but all I can tell you is to tell your daughter to ignore them the best she can.

Simple, ignore them and focus on your task at hand. If they get in your face, make them see what idiots they are and move on. If you are a small person, it may help to have someone accompany you for that extra "firepower". Idiots like that are almost always accompanied by other idiots like them, they can't even stand up for themselves.

Seriously, the only thing I found that work is laugh and act like you can take a joke.

because people like to see you get upset , and if they see that you don't get upset (even ignoring them tells them that you got upset), they will give up. They will realize that no matter what they do, they can't make you cry.

Seriously, the only thing I found that work is laugh and act like you can take a joke.

because people like to see you get upset , and if they see that you don't get upset (even ignoring them tells them that you got upset), they will give up. They will realize that no matter what they do, they can't make you cry.

They've got a counter for upbeat reactions. The point is NOT to react at all.

Throw water balloons at them. It will not solve anything - but you sure will feel good at that moment! ;). Ok, I'm kidding. Sort of.

On a serious note, I would say ignore them and keep your head up high.

Back