How do you create signs for ASL?

Audiofuzzy

Reaction score
Ever since I saw ASL video dictionary online (from the link at other thread here) I was wondering why some words are just fingerspelled.
I think it is a shame since creating new signs regardless of how common they would be could only further enrich ASL vocabulary.

I think there is a sign out there waiting to match every single word in English full dictionary. Even if it wouldn't be used that often it should sit there ready to be discovered.

What is the procedure for inventing and registering new signs?

Fuzzy

Either I am being ignored or no one "nose" (knows)... ???
:ugh2:

Fuzzy

Sorry, can't help you.

I followed these links as well, and tried to get the sign for CI.

I recall that it used to be a sign for "vampire" but then higher up. I believe that normally it is fingerspelled.

As for your question...... don't know. There are probably different signs for the same word, depending on region. Until recently, it must have been difficult to register them. Now, with computers, it should be possible to make a "video"-dictionairy....

I thought about your question for a while but havn't had time to make a good post.. so here's a rushed version of what I was thinking;

ASL like other langauges evolve slowly. If you want to know what it takes to create a new sign in ASL, think about what it takes to create a new word in English.

It's not easy. I think of fingerspelled words as "borrowed" words. like "balet" etc.

Then I thought about words like "computer" in ASL which at some level mimic the object. The sign for computer (one of the many signs actually) has the hands moving in circles.... but aparently According to Webster's American Sign Language Computer Dictionary, and aslpro.com the hands move in oposite directions... why?! the wheels on a reel of tape spin the same direction. It also means i've been signing it wrong this whole time.

Ok I just got out my copy of "The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary" and I find that "computer" is signed with the open-8 handshape which is what I origonally learned and have been using since, well since I learned the sign for computer. but I've been doing it wrong.. again, the hands make circles in oposite directions... Can anyone explain this to me?

ok I spent way more time on this post than I wanted and I need to go to bed now..

Sounds a bit complicated.. I recall a story from years ago about one allegedly deaf girl who was in Saturn car TV commercial and the deaf communicty branded her as a liar because supposedly she invented the sing for "Saturn" and it was done against the sign creating rules..they said she was really a hearing person. I don't know the whole truth. I wonder what was that about..

I think having rules for creating a new signs is very good idea. I think..

Fuzzy

I think it has to do with the person who created the ASL dictionary at that time and what he/she knew to the best of his/her ability and will add as he/she goes with the ASL dictionary .....

I agree there should be some rules on making signs but not so strict and formalized because sometimes hearing people do come up with interesting and much easier ASL signs like an interpreter or somebody in the family. ASL is always ever changing. What used to be signed 10 years ago now is not in current use. You know what I mean?

Yes I do - the same with spoken language. If we compare English of middle ages to today's, the difference is big.

Thanks for the links!

Fuzzy

Cloggy said:
Sorry, can't help you.

I followed these links as well, and tried to get the sign for CI.

I recall that it used to be a sign for "vampire" but then higher up. I believe that normally it is fingerspelled.

As for your question...... don't know. There are probably different signs for the same word, depending on region. Until recently, it must have been difficult to register them. Now, with computers, it should be possible to make a "video"-dictionairy....
The sign for CI is referring to the electrodes going into the head. From my experience, it isn't normally fingerspelled--I usually see people signing that.

We "Smith" (a make up name) family use our own sign languages that no one will be able to read us. It's called "SSL." - Smith Sign Language. Ha, ha. Well, oh well.

Back