How do you cope with inclement weather?

You haven't seen my newest post yet, have you? I look completely different now. Check out the Pics of You section to see what I look like now. Mind you-- the hair is different.

Seen you didnt stay in the closet and lost your toupee....lol

Hopefully those stuck in hurricanes can stop wasting their time taping up their windows! It doesn't stop the windows from breaking and it just creates huge jagged chunks of glass with the ability to near decapitate people. Apparently the advice is still on some hurricane preparedness handouts and websites but it's outdated advice.

The one time I was in a place with hurricanes we taped up one of the windows, but only to tape cardboard over it because it was a big sliding window next to our bed and if it broke while we were sleeping we didn't feel like being woken up by bits of shattered glass covering us.

The hurricane and tornado are part of inclement weather. :dunno:

If you exclude so it will severely limit our discussion - not good.

It's nature that we have to deal with it everyday. We can't escape nature from the weather to natural disasters.

Okay. The reason why I am starting this thread is because there is a High Wind Warning for the area tonight, and the risk of injury or damage is very great-- wind gusts up to 60 MPH can do plenty of damage. I have an appointment somewhere prior to it hitting, but I am hoping I get back in the house BEFORE it hits.

Anyways.... I'm curious.... when inclement weather hits, how do you cope with that? (Not counting tornadoes and hurricanes, okay?)

Well, I created some threads with exemption that leading to dramatization and end up to get locked. Please reconsideration about those threads before you put exemption to restrict the discussion - it will not work in AD forum.

For serious answer, I experienced tornado, hurricane, earthquake, blizzard and flooding. The tornado is common in Alabama, but not bad as area in Tornado Alley region and our house has basement that is safe shelter for tornado. If your house doesn't have basement, the hall or closet are ok, but not safer as basement. Make sure to have plenty of food and First Kit too. DirecTV didn't work during tornado warning due to extremely darker cloudy.

We aren't immune to hurricane and the hurricane could spawn the tornadoes into region, but not happening very often. If you live closer to beach communities, it is better to evacuate the area, but for tornado - cover your head and body.

Snowy/icy weather - when you know that snow or ice will coming, especially on news - go shopping grocery and make sure that you have enough food. Do not drive on snowy/icy road unless you have snow or winter tire or put chain on tires with extra caution. Make sure that you have working heat too.

if bad wind stay in if rainng put mac on...I either take it off or put it on...in parts of England rain and floods ruined people homes train lines blown into sea..random question

I just stay inside and do whatever...I'm personally a fan of storms, I used to stand on our porch (it had a roof) with my dad when I was little and watch them (obviously if they got too bad we would go inside)

I pretty much do the same with ice/snow...I grew up in Indiana, so the world didn't stop if it snowed a few inches...the perk of the cold weather is that the garage doubles as a refrigerator :)

Just the other day, we had heavy winds and such. Wind speeds reached 60-70 MPH. That's about par around here and that's because we are used to tropical storms or hurricanes. But this was neither of those. This was an old fashioned Florida storm. After all those winds came the rain and more rain, then more wind, then - - - Heaven forbid - - -the temperature dropped. A W-h-o-p-p-i-n-g 15 degrees. How did we handle it? Just the same as any other day. If you feel safe, go out, if you don't stay in. Use the common sense you were given.

Also, if you know that you're in for a bad winter or bad season of any weather, stock up on supplies at the start of the season. Use them up but replace them as you go. That way, you are not going to be stuck out of food when there's a storm warning and everyone runs to buy all the milk and bread from the grocery. If you absolutely MUST have milk but you're worried about it spoiling, get powdered milk and bottled water. It's not the same as fresh milk, but it's real milk and you can drink it and use it for cooking (which is why it's nice to have a camp stove for emergencies)

Speaking of powdered milk, I actually cook with powdered buttermilk more than I use fresh because it gives a better texture. If I want a strong buttermilk flavor I will use regular buttermilk and add a few spoons of powdered. That way you get a real taste of buttermilk (like in buttermilk biscuits).

A F0 tornado touched touch in southern Maryland today. Freaky February weather! Lol

Just the other day, we had heavy winds and such. Wind speeds reached 60-70 MPH. That's about par around here and that's because we are used to tropical storms or hurricanes. But this was neither of those. This was an old fashioned Florida storm. After all those winds came the rain and more rain, then more wind, then - - - Heaven forbid - - -the temperature dropped. A W-h-o-p-p-i-n-g 15 degrees. How did we handle it? Just the same as any other day. If you feel safe, go out, if you don't stay in. Use the common sense you were given.

You better be careful saying this "Use the common sense you were given "
RR might get on your case.

Does Santa Ana winds count? It's naaaasty. The combination of Santa Ana winds, dry vegetation, and fire are catastrophic! Won't miss it at all. Hope it won't get bad in Southern California this year due to severe drought and extremely dry weather.

Yep that area is known to have high winds that makes wildfires dangerous.

Does Santa Ana winds count? It's naaaasty. The combination of Santa Ana winds, dry vegetation, and fire are catastrophic! Won't miss it at all. Hope it won't get bad in Southern California this year due to severe drought and extremely dry weather.

Also, if you know that you're in for a bad winter or bad season of any weather, stock up on supplies at the start of the season. Use them up but replace them as you go. That way, you are not going to be stuck out of food when there's a storm warning and everyone runs to buy all the milk and bread from the grocery. If you absolutely MUST have milk but you're worried about it spoiling, get powdered milk and bottled water. It's not the same as fresh milk, but it's real milk and you can drink it and use it for cooking (which is why it's nice to have a camp stove for emergencies)

Speaking of powdered milk, I actually cook with powdered buttermilk more than I use fresh because it gives a better texture. If I want a strong buttermilk flavor I will use regular buttermilk and add a few spoons of powdered. That way you get a real taste of buttermilk (like in buttermilk biscuits).

I been keeping some milk in my freezer and it taste Ok after it defrost . I was going to buy some powered milk but it almost $5.00 for a small box.

Back