How do you choose?

knoxe

Reaction score
If you are deaf, but don't know sign, and you have a deaf child, how do you decide whether or not to teach them orally or through sign language? Also, how would you decide whether to give them a CI or a hearing aid?

What I would do is teach them both ASL and Oral Speech. It would help them understand speech and they would be able to read lips a little bit. When it comes to a CI or a hearing aid, take them to an audiogist and see how bad their hearing is. After all the testing is done, talk to the doctor and see what they say. Don't just get one opinion, get a few different ones to see what you are up against. I hope that this helped you a little bit. If you need anything else, messege me and I can see what I can do.

If I am deaf and dont know sign..that would be a whole different ballgame because when I didnt know sign language, I was in denial about my deafness but I think it would change my views on my deafness and make me want to learn sign language. As I stated before, I would do both. As for a CI..I would wait until the child is old enough to make that decision.

If I am deaf and dont know sign..that would be a whole different ballgame because when I didnt know sign language, I was in denial about my deafness but I think it would change my views on my deafness and make me want to learn sign language. As I stated before, I would do both. As for a CI..I would wait until the child is old enough to make that decision.

I'm with Shel90 on this one. ;)

I would teach them sign first and written English second. Sign is the language of the deaf, so always focus on that first.

I am going to be honest. If anyone disagrees, express your opinion.

I agree to what shel90 says to a point when she talks about the CI's. Where I don't agree is when the child is old enough, waiting to decide could be a mistake for the child. What if the child is 10 or 11 years old and gets the implants? He/She could lose the rest of thier hearing and then the impants don't work. So, I personally would get the impants when they are young (around 6 months to 18 months) to get the impants.

I agree to what shel90 says to a point when she talks about the CI's. Where I don't agree is when the child is old enough, waiting to decide could be a mistake for the child. What if the child is 10 or 11 years old and gets the implants? He/She could lose the rest of thier hearing and then the impants don't work. So, I personally would get the impants when they are young (around 6 months to 18 months) to get the impants.

If they chose to have the surgery at any age they will presumably be aware of the risks. Forcing them means they have no chance to decide for theirself.

To OP: I'd probably have the child taught with sign in school and use an oral language at home. Isn't that how new generations are naturalised? Native language at school and old language at home?

FYI, there are some people who got their CI after 10 years old and still can make up for lost time of hearing/speech. It is up to that person who make efforts and work hard to get the ability to speak / hear again.

I often see deaf people who was forced to have CI at young age grow up and end up being in deaf world, irony isn't when u considering that their parents wanted them to be in hearing world but their plans backfired in their faces.

As for original poster, I recommend you to explore and research exhasutively ALL OPTIONS before u make decision as ur kid's outcome will be greatly influenced by your decision.

Edit: i forgot to mention is that if i want my kid to get CI and i dont know sign language, I would go ahead take ASL class to learn sign language in case if my kid doesn't want CI and dont want use his/her voice anymore.

Shel. At what age do you believe a child is old enough to make that decision? Just curious. Thanks.

I actually don't have a child but I am deaf and do not know sign, but am trying to learn, so that one day, in case I do have a child who is deaf, they could learn both ways. I've heard that this is controversial, and I may be ignorant about it all, but I am very interested in learning more now, since I never had the chance when I was a child since no one in my family is deaf.

Back