How do we view our government as the deaf??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthey

Reaction score
I'm doing a research project for my governmet class at my high school. My teacher told me to do it on how we, the deaf seem to be discriminated by the government. I dont know how we are, so I'm wondering as the deaf community to help me!

how is the government discriminating the deaf considering it's one of the biggest employers for the deaf.

how is the government discriminating the deaf considering it's one of the biggest employers for the deaf.

Maybe saying discriminating is the wrong thing to say, but how does it effect the way you live? if you dont think it does, please tell me your views about the governmnet

How they (or anyone else) 'Discriminate' against Deaf is very relevant and I think your question was phrased accurately. I believe that you (the Deaf) are discriminated much the same as all other non-white, non-hearing, or non-fully capable people are. In regards to non-white, there's deep rooted prejudices against those that exist among (my personal estimation) 10-15% of the total population of this country. In regards to the Deaf or other non-fully capable people, I believe the discrimination is higher because it includes beliefs of those non-whites who're also discriminated against. So that I might expand on that in hopes to clarify my point, non-whites are discriminated by whites as well as other minorities (ex: Latino's and blacks discriminate among each other also). The Deaf exist in all races but face discrimination by all, even though they are the same race. Those that discriminate against deaf people will probably include most that discriminate against another skin color, as well as those with the misbelief that a lack of hearing includes a lack of intelligence or other faculties. In our current world, I do not know how to overcome these discriminations.

I am not deaf, so I cannot answer your question first hand. However, I believe the 'government' views deafness as a disability, and in that belief as a demographic they feel they can more easily steer towards their control. The more readily you accept government handouts, the more you remain under that control. In that sense, I think the government views the Deaf as just another among the poor minorities, and they'll use the same tactics (which seem to prove effective) to keep them on the government handout list and therefore under their control. While I'm sure there's some politicians who understand that the Deaf, just like all other minorities, include citizens of the same range of intelligence and abilities as hearing people, as long as a majority of them rely on government checks, they will forever be a tool to getting reelected and furthering their (the politicians') ends. Both the democrats and republicans have forever used these tactics, and will continue to do so.

I guess to summarize my whole medium length post, I thing the government views the Deaf as just another minority on their payroll that they can exploit to their own ends. I do not think that until term limits are installed, therefore taking reelection hopes based on false promises and 'throwing bones', that this will be fixed unless there is a drastic (and much needed) change in our government in which it reverts to the belief that 'all men are created equal'. Our government is getting farther away from our Constitution with every election cycle, and we are all suffering as a result. Their manipulation of all majorities is just one example of that.

*disclaimer* I had a long night at work, with a few drinks afterwards, so I'm sorry if I lost you in my ramblings. I started trying to proofread my post, but gave up in my stupor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back