How do u feel when you become deaf or hard of hearing?

spainmale

Reaction score
I accepted becoming deaf when i was 10 years old. I am proud to be deaf. What about you peeps?

I was born deaf so I never experienced what it is like to have hearing. However, because I grew up being influenced by the hearing perspective, I wanted to be hearing so badly and was ashamed of my deafness. Finally, in my late 20s, after therapy and learning ASL, I accepted my deafness and now I am proud of it. :)

Well, According to my mother.. I was not accepting of my deafness when I first became deaf LOL.. I think i just didn't want to accept that I was different.. but the more I got used to being deaf, the more I just accepted it.

My family like any other hearing family wasn't too happy when they discovered I was deaf. For years I was made fun of by peers for being deaf and what not and recently I've comed to accept it. No longer ashamed of it and Ive realized its the ones who lack understanding and empathy that are dumb.

I am currently learning ASL as much as I can to prepare for that day that I will no longer be able to hear or recognize my own voice when I am speaking. I've already been asked to drum up some signs for a song that the church is doing on the 4th of July so it gives me incentive to learn as much as I can, not just for others, but for myself as well. I just hope I can make some new friends along the way.

Back