How do keep car doors from freezing ?

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
I read on line to use a cooking spray like Pam around the doors , would this be OK ?? My parking space is in the shade and it's one of the last car to get the sun on it. I am using something for the locks , I am talking about the doors being frozen shut. If we do not move our cars for the plowing we could get a fine and my condo manger could care less if we can't open the doors. You still could a fine .

I used to hate that when I was living in Chicago. I'd put a flame (from a lighter) on the key to make it hot then put it inside. This is one of the reasons why I moved to Florida. Cars too cold to start, scraping ice off cars, shoveling cars out of snow, and cars would rust from the salt on the roads. Ugh.

Anything food related would probably eventually stimk, try mechanical oil or a shaver lubricator?

If your car is old and condition is not important, you would try to tape small piece of paper around lock.

It looks like your car is old because there is no keyless entry involved here.

If your car is old and condition is not important, you would try to tape small piece of paper around lock.

It looks like your car is old because there is no keyless entry involved here.

It's not the locks I am talking about . It the doors , I can unlock my car , if we get rain or wet snow and freezing weather the doors get frozen shut.
Yes it's an old car and I am very sorry I listen to my son in law and brought it.

Can you get an old bath towel, and drape it over your door as you shut it? (Not too far in where it would interfere with the locking mechanism.) Just enough to fill the gap in the door jam.

Several on-line sources recommend the cooking spray.

One caveat I would add is if you do that, be careful getting in and out of the car. You don't want to get the stuff on your clothing.

Speaking of unfreezing things....

I was once told that alcohol would defrost an iced over windshield and/or windows....any truth to that does anyone know?

I used to hate that when I was living in Chicago. I'd put a flame (from a lighter) on the key to make it hot then put it inside. This is one of the reasons why I moved to Florida. Cars too cold to start, scraping ice off cars, shoveling cars out of snow, and cars would rust from the salt on the roads. Ugh.

I understand how your feels. I still hate Chicago.

Leave the windows down and climb through them. Then you also won't have to scrape them! Of course they might not go back up...

Some people put a little rice in pantyhose and hang it from the doorknobs at night. Supposedly the rice draws in the moisture from the air so less water to ice on the door. Can't vouch for it. Not good if it's raining/snowing, but OK if you're freezing up from condensation.

If you're going to try alcohol, I recommend waxing the areas first to help prevent damage to the paint.

Leave the windows down and climb through them. Then you also won't have to scrape them! Of course they might not go back up...

Some people put a little rice in pantyhose and hang it from the doorknobs at night. Supposedly the rice draws in the moisture from the air so less water to ice on the door. Can't vouch for it. Not good if it's raining/snowing, but OK if you're freezing up from condensation.

If you're going to try alcohol, I recommend waxing the areas first to help prevent damage to the paint.

What if I rubbed a candle around the door , maybe the wax would keep the water off ? Yeah , that would be a real stupid thing to do leave the windows open , I might as well just leave all the doors open .

I read on line to use a cooking spray like Pam around the doors , would this be OK ?? My parking space is in the shade and it's one of the last car to get the sun on it. I am using something for the locks , I am talking about the doors being frozen shut. If we do not move our cars for the plowing we could get a fine and my condo manger could care less if we can't open the doors. You still could a fine .

park in the garage, maybe?

Live in a warm state... Hehehe... :P

Actually, I've heard of the PAM spray thing before. I also believe that there is a spray they sell at most auto places up north that is specifically made to keep them from freezing up on you. :)

Back