how do I tell this hearing guy....

NeonSocks

Reaction score
So I sort of met this hearing guy at the bookstore I'm at all the time. He works there, and he is always there when I go, and I sort of stare at him alot.... Anyway, I told him yesterday that I thought he seemed sweet because he is always smiling and talking to everyone, and he gave me his phone number (he just said "here", I think, and handed it to me, then left).
So I can talk pretty well and I don't think he realized that I'm deaf, especially since he gave me his phone number, haha! and I was wondering how to tell him.
I text him already; I just said "hi, I'm that one girl..." but I don't want him to think I'm rude for texting and not calling. How should I tell him I'm deaf?

Like you said in your other post just lay it all out there. I don't think it will be a big deal. Let him know your good at lip reading or at least somewhat proficient and move from there. I went deaf a few years ago and learned to lip read in about a year with a lot of motivation. My bf stuck through it all with me. My speech is kind of failing me as sometimes I mess up words and don't realize they come out garbled up. He just tries to make the best of any situation.

just like imfamousmacbook said just put it out there because if he liked you when he thought you were hearing he will still like you when he finds out your not. Good Luck!

Okay, thank you guys! I guess I will just tell him, "hey, if you didn't notice..."
And if he isn't accepting, then he's not worth my time, right? Thank you for giving me that extra little push.

Okay, thank you guys! I guess I will just tell him, "hey, if you didn't notice..."
And if he isn't accepting, then he's not worth my time, right? Thank you for giving me that extra little push.

That's actually happened to me before. You'd be surprised by how many people already know.

*recieves phone number*
"Ummm you know that I'm deaf right?"
"Yea but.. don't you text?"
"..... true."

Hahaha. I'm the one who ends up feeling stupid.

You bet!

That's actually happened to me before. You'd be surprised by how many people already know.

*recieves phone number*
"..... true."

Been there, done that. :lol:

Classic! That happened to me before,too. That is an exact same line I say to them- you know I'm deaf, right?

Yeah, I would say that line to him. Let's hope this guy is nice!

*recieves phone number*
"..... true."

This was before texting became available:

*receives phone number*
*Ummm, you know I am deaf, right?"
*Yes, but that is okay.*
*I can't use the phone, so now what?*
*Ummm...*

Now who was feeling stupid?

This was before texting became available:

*receives phone number*
*Yes, but that is okay.*
*Ummm...*

Now who was feeling stupid?

Actually, there was one occurrence where I had the following conversation during high school (texting was around but not popular yet):

*receives phone number*
*Yes, but that is okay.*
*Don't you have a TDD?*
*Wow.... you actually know about THAT?! Yea, I'd rather use AIM....*
*AIM sucks. Get Yahoo messenger.*
Then we got into a debate about what's a better IM program.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of ignorant people, who end up apologizing to me after I told them that I can't hear the phone and WALKED AWAY!!!! Needless to say, I never "called" them.

Actually, there was one occurrence where I had the following conversation during high school (texting was around but not popular yet):

*receives phone number*
*Yes, but that is okay.*
*Don't you have a TDD?*
*Wow.... you actually know about THAT?! Yea, I'd rather use AIM....*
*AIM sucks. Get Yahoo messenger.*
Then we got into a debate about what's a better IM program.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of ignorant people, who end up apologizing to me after I told them that I can't hear the phone and WALKED AWAY!!!! Needless to say, I never "called" them.

Hah. In my situation it happened before there were computers. It would go like this:

**blushing**
*Hmm, how about leaving notes?*
*Notes?*
*Yeah, we could leave them in some trees we like and take it from there.*
**laughing**

Needless to say, I had female company after that. ;)

Hah. In my situation it happened before there were computers. It would go like this:

**blushing**
*Hmm, how about leaving notes?*
*Notes?*
*Yeah, we could leave them in some trees we like and take it from there.*
**laughing**

Needless to say, I had female company after that. ;)

Aren't you the charmer? ;)

Telling hearie your deaf

Everyone seems to be on board with the just tell him idea. I agree and please remember this type of awkwardness happens with deaf meeting deaf and hearing meeting hearing and it is just part of taking the first step.
You seem to like him..smile..and he did give you his number. I did not care for his "here" and walk away. So connect with him however yu feel comfortable and let him know your deaf and if thats a problem for him you woud like to know now...smile...do this , of course with a smile and perhaps a touch to his arm. I am proud of you now go have some fun..Midnight♥♥♥

just like imfamousmacbook said just put it out there because if he liked you when he thought you were hearing he will still like you when he finds out your not. Good Luck!

I was a friend's party when I was younger and a guy was hitting on me by whispering in my ear. When my friend told the guy I was HOH he lost interest in me! I had no idea he was coming on to me, and if the guy was turned off by me being HOH I am glad I did talk to him! Who need him!!

When I was younger, I did internet dating. I would tell people that my first language was ASL. I never told them I was deaf. I was embarrassed about that. I had hoped that telling them ASL was my first language would yield some clues. On many occasions, it did not. People were mad that I didn't tell them I was deaf.

This guy may not know what's appropriate communication for you under the circumstances. It's hard enough to connect with a stranger for most people. Give him the benefit of the doubt and help him understand what's appropriate. If you've already scoped him out as a nice person, he'll probably be gracious and make adjustments as needed. Good work! lol

Barbaro, Beowulf... that's how I snagged my boyfriend - "You know I am deaf, right?" hahaha

Barbaro, Beowulf... that's how I snagged my boyfriend - "You know I am deaf, right?" hahaha

Heyyy, Liza, kiddo, if my eyes were sore, you would be a sight!
I am sure you were more than interesting to your boyfriend. Lucky chap! :hug:

Back