How do I get my loved ones to remember that I'm losing my hearing?

Wirelessly posted

I was born severely deaf to an all hearing family, married a hearing man and we have 7 hearing children and am immersed in a hearing environment 95% of the time or even more. Grew up oral (using voice). However over the the years when I have found it impossible to decipher what people are saying - I have learned not to get frustrated but just to go to my own comfort zone of silence and to be content with my own company. I find this works the best when stuck in the back seat of the car. So much so that it is my preferrence now.

I experience similar things to the OP (original poster) and it's difficult. My hearing friends are well-meaning and kind people, but they constantly forget the communication tips I tell them and it's disheartening. And I'm not a loud, confident assertive person who is able to insist that people follow their instructions. So if I ask a few times and if it doesn't work, I give up and go quiet. Not an ideal solution, but I'm not comfortable nagging people either. What I do now is to meet my friends one-to-one as it's much easier. And I try to avoid being in group social events that doesn't allow me to split off and engage in a one-to-one conversations (so I'll go to a cocktail event that allows me to walk around, but not to a sit-round-the-room event where everyone is participating in a single conversation, like a Bible study or games evening).

All I can say is...then ignore them....if they ignore you!...I'm not about always repeating and repeating "I'm deaf, remember?"...I've no patience with people like this, even family....Sounds mean, I know...but sometimes it does work.

wear a deaf tshirt

I like this suggestion. It's a perpetual reminder to others that there is a deaf person in their midst.

After the experience of being yelled at by bicyclists riding on sidewalks in Berlin (they use bicycle bells to warn you if they're coming up behind you, of course I don't hear those bells), I wanted to get a tshirt that said "I'm deaf, I can't hear bicycle bells."

One thing I know is that the more people are educated on what it's like to have your hearing loss, the more they would know what to do.

Just saying to someone "I'm deaf, I can't hear you" is not very constructive. It doesn't tell them what they need to do to make sure you can follow. You need to tell them exactly what they should do so you can keep up.

One tip I can suggest is that in situations like sit down dinners, you ask people to look in your direction when they are sharing a story so you can follow more easily and make it clear it's because they matter to you that you want to know what they said.

My best friend always looks at me when talking in social situations and she would explain to others in the group that she was doing that so I could follow. The others in the group started copying her example.

In family situations, they still keep forgetting so I have no problems interrupting and saying "hey, what are you guys talking about?" Other times, if I don't have the energy or patience, I would get up and leave the table. I outright refuse to waste my life putting myself in situations where I'm excluded. I'd far rather read a good book in the livingroom and wait to have one on one chats with family members individually than sit at the table wondering what everyone was laughing about and not being in on the jokes.

I don't get upset or angry because I've learned over the last 40 years that expressing anger or frustration in social situations is not helpful. Anger repels people and they will eventually start avoiding you because you've developed a reputation for being foul-tempered. When you think about it, would you approach anyone at a party who looks pissed off? No, you would be thinking they're ruining the vibe and they should leave if they're so miserable. Would you invite anyone who tends to get pissy at parties and express an inability to socialize well? No.

The other thing that I do is start conversations at parties, not attempt to join them. I may bring up a newsbit or ask people direct questions that is not a yes or no answer, just questions that would get the conversation going and because i was the one asking the questions, they were talking to me and if others joined in, I would hold up a finger and say "hang on, what was that you said?"

When I was in university, I was sad to either not be invited to parties or sad that I couldn't follow others when at parties and realized that this would never change unless I did something to change it then I took charge and was the one who invited others to my parties or invited others to meet for a one on one coffee chats or I was the one who would organize things like going bowling, etc.

When you're in charge, you're the one who sets up the ideal social situations.

It does suck always having to remind people and because this is recent, your hearing loss, it's going to take time for both you and those who know you to adjust to this new reality.

Get a pair of rabbit ears. Kind of hard to ignore a pair of giant fluffy ears flopping around on your head! :)

Wirelessly posted

I was born severely deaf to an all hearing family, married a hearing man and we have 7 hearing children and am immersed in a hearing environment 95% of the time or even more. Grew up oral (using voice). However over the the years when I have found it impossible to decipher what people are saying - I have learned not to get frustrated but just to go to my own comfort zone of silence and to be content with my own company. I find this works the best when stuck in the back seat of the car. So much so that it is my preferrence now.

You sound very laid back. I am as well. :giggle:

After the experience of being yelled at by bicyclists riding on sidewalks in Berlin (they use bicycle bells to warn you if they're coming up behind you, of course I don't hear those bells), I wanted to get a tshirt that said "I'm deaf, I can't hear bicycle bells."

was it in German? :)

was it in German? :)

No need. Seemed like everyone could speak English in Berlin. Hadn't met any that didn't know english except for in rural areas and it was only the elderly who couldn't speak it.

Truth be told, the tshirt I really wanted to wear was "I'm deaf, I can't hear your dinky little bicycle bells so stop giving me the middle finger!"

You could have a t-shirt that just says in large block letters "DEAF WALKER."

I used to ski at a particular area in New England that had ski events for the deaf quite frequently. (This was before I had lost my hearing.) They had bibs that skiers wore over their jackets with "DEAF SKIER" on the back. Worked well; people coming up from behind knew that THEY were responsible for not running into such a person, and that yelling " on your left" or "on your right" would be useless.

I was just kidding. I promise I'm not going to wear anything like that. I'm trying NOT to push people away, so yeah, just kidding.

I was just kidding. I promise I'm not going to wear anything like that. I'm trying NOT to push people away, so yeah, just kidding.

inapppropriate insult because cause hurt serious!

I apologize for offending anyone, that wasn't my intention. I'll try to keep my sarcasm to myself in the future and I hope that you can accept my apology.

It's a hard thing for us "hearing" to get used to but when you make the effort it can happen very quickly. There's one thing I did, and this might sound crazy to you guys but it helped me understand.

I bought a pair of ear plugs that block sound. I think they take everything down by 40-50 decibels. I wore them and took a shower, tried talking on the phone to my husband, and did "normal" daily things. I realized how difficult it was...maybe something like this followed up with a list of things they could do to help you would make a difference?

I realized how difficult it was when I got out of the shower and realized I never turned off the sink water from brushing my teeth because I didn't hear it!

Back