How do I choose a new HA ?

The Ever-Elusive Waterproof Hearing Aid...

I can't, for the life of me, understand why you can have microphones and speakers that will work underwater, but not a waterproof hearing-aid. While it may be that the two forms of technology involved are not compatible, at least for something compact enough to work as a hearing aid, I refuse to believe that there isn't some way to create a hybrid that would solve this problem.

The brilliant, yet extraordinarily simple solution that Eurion Lotos came up with was to do one thing above all else: protect the circuitry. This means that even if the earmold and tube get waterlogged, or the battery, the hearing aid still lives forever completely untouched. Given the ungodly cost of this technology - especially here in the US where it is typically unsubsidized - this alone is a HUGE leap forward.

Call me cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that other companies chose to forgo this option in order to ensure repeat customers.:cool2:

I can't, for the life of me, understand why you can have microphones and speakers that will work underwater, but not a waterproof hearing-aid. While it may be that the two forms of technology involved are not compatible, at least for something compact enough to work as a hearing aid, I refuse to believe that there isn't some way to create a hybrid that would solve this problem.

The brilliant, yet extraordinarily simple solution that Eurion Lotos came up with was to do one thing above all else: protect the circuitry. This means that even if the earmold and tube get waterlogged, or the battery, the hearing aid still lives forever completely untouched. Given the ungodly cost of this technology - especially here in the US where it is typically unsubsidized - this alone is a HUGE leap forward.

Call me cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that other companies chose to forgo this option in order to ensure repeat customers.:cool2:

I wonder why the Eurion Lotos are not available any longer.

Agreed.

You and me both Bottesini - love the pigs flying graphic - but I'd love to be the guy who either figures out why or comes up with a solution.

The whole thing reminds me of a friend of mine who went to buy a washing machine at a store and noticed an 20-year old model in the back that happened to be the same one he was still using. He told the salesman that they should advertise that fact and the guy laughed out loud at him: "Are you kidding? The last thing we want is equipment that will last 20 years! We'd go out of business if everything we sold was that reliable!".

That, unfortunately, is capitalism in a nutshell. You don't make money unless customers need to replace what you're selling often enough for you to make a bigger profit. Or put simply, why sell something that will last ten years without fail when you could sell twice as many that die in half the time.

Okay, call me cynical.

It's ok to be cynical. If those Eurions we still made and in a high power version, I would so ask if I could be fitted with them. The colors strongly appeal to me.

Eurion website

I should point out that the website for the Swiss company that makes the Eurion Lotos is still active, which is why I bothered to make the suggestion in the first place: http://www.eurion.ch/En/Default.htm.

I'm going to try calling them soon. If I get through to someone I'll let you guys know - after I buy another pair *chuckle*.

I should point out that the website for the Swiss company that makes the Eurion Lotos is still active, which is why I bothered to make the suggestion in the first place: Eurion.

I'm going to try calling them soon. If I get through to someone I'll let you guys know - after I buy another pair *chuckle*.

any luck calling them????

No joy on Eurion

Tried their number but I keep being told that the number is incorrect or no longer in service. As for a more powerful version, I'd be amazed if the same waterproofing technology and/ or design couldn't be incorporated into different models to suit the power requirements of each person's particular need.

I think the number one thing that makes this hearing aid so unique is the screen used to keep the microphone dry while still allowing sound to be transmitted without dulling or otherwise altering the sound. My recollection is that it could easily withstand depths of up to 10 feet of water, which is more than enough pressure needed for swimming lengths in a pool or getting soaked head to toe under any of the typical circumstances life might through at you. Besides, any deeper than that and you start to risk serious problems with the earmolds getting pushed into your eardrum from the pressure.

Like I said, if anyone knows of a hearing aid that comes even close to what these can achieve, then please let us know.

P.S. One of my favorite things to do is ask audiologists about hearing aids like these and being told - in no uncertain terms - that they simply don't exist, and then watching their expression when I tell them that I'm actually wearing ones that do.

Back