How do I choose a new HA ?

AlleyCat

Reaction score
I have 2 different brands of HAs. One is Rexton, the other is a Starkey DaVinci. The Rexton is about 5 years old; the Starkey about 1 year old. And, the Rexton is analog, the Starkey digital. Funnily enough, I hear NO difference between the two in that one is analog and one is digital. It's been suggested that I may be "too deaf" (at 110 db) to hear enough of a difference. How do I know the audis are giving me the best I can have out there? It seems to me from some of what's been said in this subforum that some do outstanding with their HAs, and I don't consider what I get as outstanding. Would love feedback from you -- please, NO suggestions for getting a CI. Already researched that and met with a CI audi, and it is NOT an option to be pursued at this time (you can read my results in previous threads if you're interested!)

Hearing aid suggestion

I would suggest Eurion Lotos hearing aids as a proud user of them for over a decade now. They are so waterproof that they're sold by grabbing one out of a filled fish tank and handing them to the user. I used to do Eskimo rolls in my kayak while wearing them and love never having to worry about sweating any more - an incredible difference from my childhood. You have the choice of mercury/ lead acid or zinc air batteries, the latter of which requires oxygen to produce electricity and means the battery compartment can let in moisture. There is a flap switch which allows you to switch between the two (I prefer zinc air batteries because of how long they last).

I also have severe hearing loss - 40-45% of regular hearing - and can't recommend these hearing aids enough. Hope that helps!

View attachment 14720

Alley Cat, I don't even remember what frequencies you can hear. If it is in the lows, the Naida transpositional would make sense.

I would suggest Eurion Lotos hearing aids as a proud user of them for over a decade now. They are so waterproof that they're sold by grabbing one out of a filled fish tank and handing them to the user. I used to do Eskimo rolls in my kayak while wearing them and love never having to worry about sweating any more - an incredible difference from my childhood. You have the choice of mercury/ lead acid or zinc air batteries, the latter of which requires oxygen to produce electricity and means the battery compartment can let in moisture. There is a flap switch which allows you to switch between the two (I prefer zinc air batteries because of how long they last).

I also have severe hearing loss - 40-45% of regular hearing - and can't recommend these hearing aids enough. Hope that helps!

View attachment 14720

Hearing Loss Effect of Hearing Loss on Listening

Mild Loss 26 - 40 dB
Will miss consonants. At 30 dB, can miss 25 - 40% of speech signal. Degree of difficulty depends on noise level, distance from speaker, and configuration of the hearing loss. Will benefit from hearing aid.

Moderate Loss
41 - 55 dB
Can understand face-to-face conversation at a distance of three to five feet and if structure and vocabulary is controlled. May miss 50 - 75% of spoken. Will benefit from a hearing aid.

Moderately / Severe loss
56 - 70 dB
May miss most or all of the message, even if talking face to face. Will have great difficulty conversing in a group. Will benefit from a hearing aid.
Severe loss
71 - 90 dB May not even hear voices, unless speech is very loud. Without amplification, the individual will not recognize any speech through listening alone.
Profound loss
91 dB or greater May not be able to detect the presence of even a loud sound without amplification. May perceive vibratory aspects of sound. Will rely on vision communication.

http://www.chsys.org/body.cfm?id=237

Here is how hearing loss is classified. What you have is probably a moderate loss.

It is calculated in decibels, not percentages.

View attachment 14720

FINALLY! someone who has a pair of these! do they actually work well enough to swim in? where did you get them? what is their max gain???
*EQL*

Alley Cat, I don't even remember what frequencies you can hear. If it is in the lows, the Naida transpositional would make sense.

if you are at 110db, sounds like Phonak Naidas (what i have) would do well. the other one ive heard of for that loss level is Oticon Sumo DM.

*EQL*

FINALLY! someone who has a pair of these! do they actually work well enough to swim in? where did you get them? what is their max gain???
*EQL*

Since she left I will tell you it is 60db. But I don't think they make them anymore. Not sure.

Since she left I will tell you it is 60db. But I don't think they make them anymore. Not sure.

max gain 60db... i could probably deal with them on max for swimming! just gotta find somewhere that still has some i guess!!!!
*EQL*

if you are at 110db, sounds like Phonak Naidas (what i have) would do well. the other one ive heard of for that loss level is Oticon Sumo DM.

*EQL*

It actually depends on the audiogram and where the 110 is, and most likely not across the board.

Eurion Lotos

I actually made an inquiry about them today to the people who originally sourced them from Switzerland, and they told me that they aren't able to reach the company anymore for some reason. Such a shame since I've never had HAs that lasted so long and took so much punishment - thank God I bought 4 of them.

I'm going to keep searching for water-resistant HA's and bluetooth loopsets that will allow handsfree use of cellphones. Will let you guys know if I find anything worth pursuing. One thing I have noticed is how criminally expensive they are here in the US compared the two I'm wearing now that cost only $350 each.

P.S. Bottesini - Thanks for the info on decibels versus percentages, I'm just so used to explaining my deafness to people with perfect hearing that need an explanation they can relate to and understand.

I actually made an inquiry about them today to the people who originally sourced them from Switzerland, and they told me that they aren't able to reach the company anymore for some reason. Such a shame since I've never had HAs that lasted so long and took so much punishment - thank God I bought 4 of them.

I'm going to keep searching for water-resistant HA's and bluetooth loopsets that will allow handsfree use of cellphones. Will let you guys know if I find anything worth pursuing. One thing I have noticed is how criminally expensive they are here in the US compared the two I'm wearing now that cost only $350 each.

P.S. Bottesini - Thanks for the info on decibels versus percentages, I'm just so used to explaining my deafness to people with perfect hearing that need an explanation they can relate to and understand.

You are welcome . We are kind of hijacking this thread and apologies to AlleyCat, but I like the colors of those, and would like to have something so cheap for exercise, although I wish it would have more gain.

Thanks for your suggestions! I have heard a lot about the Phonak Naidas.

I've also been very curious about the hearing aids where the earmold is tiny (because I have SO much feedback, it is a constant frustration with me) and maybe could eliminate some of that with smaller earmolds -- the kind that just goes in the canal only.)

And, you'd be right, the 110 db is not across the board. I don't know what the hertz/frequencies are, off the top of my head. Suffice it to say I'm quite deaf! :)

Thanks for your suggestions! I have heard a lot about the Phonak Naidas.

I've also been very curious about the hearing aids where the earmold is tiny (because I have SO much feedback, it is a constant frustration with me) and maybe could eliminate some of that with smaller earmolds -- the kind that just goes in the canal only.)

And, you'd be right, the 110 db is not across the board. I don't know what the hertz/frequencies are, off the top of my head. Suffice it to say I'm quite deaf! :)

i believe bigger molds are needed to block the sounds from reaching the HAs and causing feedback. That being said, with the new feedback blockers, you may be able to get away with it, you'd have to ask your audie. In general though, bigger molds with smaller vents = less feedback.

One thing I have noticed is how criminally expensive they are here in the US compared the two I'm wearing now that cost only $350 each.

the HA only cost 350 each? or the bluetooth?? if the hearing aid only cost 350, i'll TOTALLY buy one off you if you'd be willing!!!

anyway, sorry AlleyCat for kinda hijacking this... when will you get to see your audie about new HAs? Also, could you post your frequencies across the pitches so we have a better idea of your loss??

Bott - very true that it wouldnt be across all the frequencies! I always forget that most people don't have a flat loss like me!

Thanks!
*EQL*

From my cold dead hands...

Sorry Evil Queen Lisa, I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't jealously covet the ones I already have. As mentioned above, I still thank God I had the foresight to purchase another set before the company mysteriously disappeared. Being able to get drenched in sweat, or walk without a care through a monsoon while still carrying on a conversation is simply priceless.

One painful example I recall from a time prior to their purchase involved the lead role in a play where the lights from the stage proved too much while wearing the thick costume I had. Small beads of sweat trickled down into the battery compartment and left me completely unable to hear the cues given by the actors behind me for each of my lines. I was fortunately able to fake an excuse to turn around and lip-read, and pulled off a successful show, but the experience was so traumatic that I never sought out the stage again.

Sorry Evil Queen Lisa, I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't jealously covet the ones I already have. As mentioned above, I still thank God I had the foresight to purchase another set before the company mysteriously disappeared. Being able to get drenched in sweat, or walk without a care through a monsoon while still carrying on a conversation is simply priceless.

One painful example I recall from a time prior to their purchase involved the lead role in a play where the lights from the stage proved too much while wearing the thick costume I had. Small beads of sweat trickled down into the battery compartment and left me completely unable to hear the cues given by the actors behind me for each of my lines. I was fortunately able to fake an excuse to turn around and lip-read, and pulled off a successful show, but the experience was so traumatic that I never sought out the stage again.

darn.. it was worth a try!!
*EQL*

Anyone else have any leads?

I actually sent an e-mail directly to Eurion Lotos in Switzerland over a week ago and have yet to hear a reply from them. I might try giving them a call soon and will let you know if there's any success. Have any of you had any luck locating a hearing aid that can tolerate moisture or has features that put it heads above the rest? I'm in the market, so I'd be thrilled to find out that there is another company who can offer anything remote comparable to the ones I currently enjoy.

I have Phonak Savias (I don't know if they'd be good for your loss, though) and they withstood the washing machine.. Though that was probably just some insane luck. Mine also have not posed too many problems when wearing them in the rain. Also no issues with sweat.. I don't know. I know they're not water PROOF, because one hearing aid was a little hesitant to turn back on post-washing machine (just needed some extra "lets sit on top of the humidifier because I don't own a Dry and Store time") but they do OK with some water exposure.
They've been pretty good... sorry I'm not specific, I just don't know how to describe wearing them :P

phonak naidas are supposed to be very water resistant. Not pool-able, but sweat and rain able. Thats what i have, can't say ive tested the rain theory though.
*EQL*

Back