How do get your dog to take pills?

Smile... really, he's a gentle kind of dog.. he's willing to eat anything...

It's good to hear that your dog is feeling better... I have been through all kind of dogs.. this Great Dane I have now... his name is Obie and it's my 4th generation of Geat Dane. He's a funny Marmaduke type of dog. My wife hate him...LOL

My dog taught himself how to catch a ball using his front legs! I wish I had a picture of this! He had a ball that squeaked and I was throwing for him but Finlay would not catch the ball with his mouth, he kept jumping up and trying to use his legs. I thrown the ball about four time and Finlay finally caught the ball using his front legs , he was so excited , the look on his face was so funny , he was so happy! Finlay is really a clown. Thanks for your support. That is neat your dog is not fussy like my dog with food!

With our Labs, we could never fool them with hiding their pills in food. They thoroughly cleaned off the food and left the pills behind.

The only way that worked was Hubby would open the dog's jaw with one hand, then stuff the pill to the back of the dog's throat with the other hand. Then, he would close the dog's mouth, hold the jaw shut, and stroke the outside front of the dog's throat until the dog gulped. It worked best for them. :)

With our Labs, we could never fool them with hiding their pills in food. They thoroughly cleaned off the food and left the pills behind.

The only way that worked was Hubby would open the dog's jaw with one hand, then stuff the pill to the back of the dog's throat with the other hand. Then, he would close the dog's mouth, hold the jaw shut, and stroke the outside front of the dog's throat until the dog gulped. It worked best for them. :)

I would never put a pill in my dog's food, he would leave it behind too! Our dogs are a lot smarter than we think! I have given my dog pills the same way your hubby does but for some reason I do not like doing it that way.

My dog taught himself how to catch a ball using his front legs! I wish I had a picture of this! He had a ball that squeaked and I was throwing for him but Finlay would not catch the ball with his mouth, he kept jumping up and trying to use his legs. I thrown the ball about four time and Finlay finally caught the ball using his front legs , he was so excited , the look on his face was so funny , he was so happy! Finlay is really a clown. Thanks for your support. That is neat your dog is not fussy like my dog with food!

What I love the most... from our 1st generation Great Dane, his name is Ki (pronounce Kye, like eye) we have 14" dia stainless steel bowl for him to eat... So, at about 4 PM, or other time, when he get hungry, he will pick up the bowl with his mouth and walk toward either me or my father, if we sit on the couch, the distance between the bowl and our knee is like 20 to 24" high and whenever he spit the bowl out, the bowl landed on the knee, bang! sometime it hurts! or if we are standing up, he will spit out and landed on our foot!! after that he just sat down and made a mean look on his face, more like a squinting eyes, meaning he demanded food!! also, all of our Great Dane, we train them to learn to open the door using his mouth. After he's well trained, we no longer have to wake up in the middle of the night to let him out for bathroom.

I would never put a pill in my dog's food, he would leave it behind too! Our dogs are a lot smarter than we think! I have given my dog pills the same way your hubby does but for some reason I do not like doing it that way.
Well, it's not exactly fun to do. At least your dog is not as slobbery as Labradors are. :lol:

Well, it's not exactly fun to do. At least your dog is not as slobbery as Labradors are. :lol:

When dog my drink water ,he will slob water all over the floor! the water will drip off his mouth! I have to tell my granddaughter to keep her shoes on or her snocks will get all wet! You can't walk bare in my house! LOL!

What I love the most... from our 1st generation Great Dane, his name is Ki (pronounce Kye, like eye) we have 14" dia stainless steel bowl for him to eat... So, at about 4 PM, or other time, when he get hungry, he will pick up the bowl with his mouth and walk toward either me or my father, if we sit on the couch, the distance between the bowl and our knee is like 20 to 24" high and whenever he spit the bowl out, the bowl landed on the knee, bang! sometime it hurts! or if we are standing up, he will spit out and landed on our foot!! after that he just sat down and made a mean look on his face, more like a squinting eyes, meaning he demanded food!! also, all of our Great Dane, we train them to learn to open the door using his mouth. After he's well trained, we no longer have to wake up in the middle of the night to let him out for bathroom.

My dog will knock his bowl of food over if he does not like it! My Samoyed once picked her bowl when she wanted food! I thought it was really funny!
I once did not have enough money to buy the canned food my Samoyed liked
and had to buy a cheaper brand. When I woke up the next day I found my dog bowl upside in the corner of the kitchen and when I picked up the bowl there were small pieces of newspapers pushed into food! My Samoyed made it very clear to me what I could do with my cheap dog food! She had packed the canned food deep into the bowl tried to bury it with newspaper!
Aren't dogs wonferful!! How could we live with out them!!

We wrap it in cheese, or meat, or bread. Our dogs just scarf things down without chewing. Cats, though... whole other issue. We had to hold our cat, open it's mouth, drop the pill in and rub their throats. Not the most fun thing to do, for the cat, or us, but it got the job done,

Yeah, just make sure that there is plenty of water in the bowl.

Yeah, I am always filling my do water bowl up! I have a bowl in my car too so I can give my dog water when were out. I brought my dog one those plastic container for sandwiches , wonder bread made them , and I put in my pocketbook and use for water dish for my dog. The sandwich container is the prefect size to carry on walks in the park , I bring bottle of water and share it with my dog!

When I was getting a hearing dog , I was hoping I would get a lab! I did not think I would get a poodle. I love my dog , but poodles cost a lot groom! My dog hair cuts cost more than mine!

I got lucky with my dog. He will take any pill I give him. But only if I am the one giving it to him. His thyroid pills are so small he sometimes bites me but never hurts me.

My grandmother use to have a Yorkie that was impossible to fool. She had to shove the pill to the back of his throat and hold his mouth shut until he swallowed it.

My dog w/ Allergy issues...

I had to slice a hot dog and slide or stuff a pill in it, he would take it without any problems.

my two dogs Pandy and Walter loves everythings for mores reasons like what needs and gone crazy!

1.Hot Dogs
2.Corn Dogs
3.Lunch Meats
4.Hamburgers

my best friends have issue pills on dogs or cats chew on reaosn! illness!

Crush it or cut it; use a pill cutter. Put it in the middle of whatever they're eating. Also, don't let them see you put the pill or medicine in it.

A slice of cheese. One dog is very smart and she'll spit out her pill if it's not a full slice of cheese.

I would like to have this thread locked!! Finlay is gone and it very hard seeing this thread still being used. Finlay would had been 12 years old on Sept. 9, and I am stilling missing him terribly !

I posted this when Finlay was dying from cancer and there is no need for it to be used anymore!
Alex please LOCK this !!Please let Finlay RIP!!

Last edited:
We toss a few "free" treats to them first. Wow, they get excited. Then they are happy eating treats. Then, haha, the loaded treat. Whoops! Treat and pill are gone. Like Sallylou says, they love sliced cheese and it is easy to squish around the pill. They also love bologna, just a little for very special occasions. Leftover meatloaf seems to work best. Shiny eyes and happy faces with wagging tails. Too cute!

Back