How do deaf from birth read internally?

I also have the "inner voice" when I read. I guess I never thought of reading without it. Even as I type this I have it. This is a very interesting topic.

I don't have an inner voice but I was born completely hearing.

when I read it's like watching a movie with limited sound. I never hear the voices when characters speak though.
It's weird to explain.

Well, if you are practicing speed reading you need to understand that what you read makes a difference as to how fast you can read it. You can't read technical journals as fast as you can read fiction.

How you describe your difficulties reading leads me to think the problem is attention or dyslectic related though I'm not a doctor.

As far as inner voice goes, when you read to yourself you will read faster.
However, I think you are confusing thought with speech. You don't have to know how to talk to be able to think. Again, I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing the ability to read to yourself has more to do with your brain than vocal activity.

Yeah, heavy duty material will be slower than easier material, that's true. Unless you already understand it, then you might zip through it faster.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize that it would be possible to really get and retain info without doing sub-vocalization. I'm not going to buy the software as times are a little tight for me right now -- but I'm going to try to drop the sub-vocalization.

I don't think you need to buy any software. The free app works well enough, I think.

Free online speed reading software | Spreeder.com

I'm a hearie, but...when I read for comprehension, I read more slowly and hear the words in my head. If I'm skimming for content, I read much more quickly and no words in my head.

My work is as an editor. I edit a lot of the same things over and over again, so I can skim and it's ok. If the work is an odd one-off topic or one I haven't seen recently, or by a new writer, I slow down. By sounding the sentences out in my head, I can get a better idea of the flow of the language and the correctness of the information.

Sometimes my lips even move as I read, but not always.

I never see pictures in my head. I don't have a very good imagination. Maybe they are related?

I don't think you need to buy any software. The free app works well enough, I think.

Free online speed reading software | Spreeder.com

I tried it with 3 different browsers, it didn't work for me. It just gave me enough of an idea how the paid software would work.

In the advance settings when I changed the number of words per minute and chunk size -- the control didn't go away and gets in the way of reading the text.

When I cut and pasted another article in the text box I couldn't even scroll and read the entire text that I pasted in.

But its great to know that one can understand what one is reading just by looking and not sub-vocalizing. (Well comprehend more than what I would have thought possible. ) I didn't realize that before. I don't think I would do that for something that I was trying to learn -- but for other types of reading, this is really helpful to know. So, even thought the free software doesn't work for me, I'm glad you linked to that web site. Thanks again! :)

This is how I read too. However my "movies" also have audio as well but it is limted to what the characters say to each other and there's no sound effects for the other stuff that i imagine unless they have explosions or guns in the story.

When I read non fiction, I'm much less likely to use inner "movies".

Me too. When reading fiction (my favorite is science-fiction/fantasy and I speed through those), it is a lot like my dreams. In my mind, I am there, but incorporeal (inner self) and I see what is happening. The characters' thoughts and words between themselves are telepathic, and more like pictures and emotions than words, which my inner self picks up on.

When reading non-fiction, it is more like an inner voice, sounding out the words in my head, and I have to be more diligent about reading and therefore take much, MUCH longer. If I try to read at a normal speed with my inner voice, I have a problem with cluttering and tripping over my words. Otherwise, I might realize that I am only seeing the words without processing the meaning and have no idea what was said.

When I read I have a signer standing behind me signing everything I read. I turn and look and they are never there. But I KNOW they are there... I just KNOW!!!! :giggle:

I tried it with 3 different browsers, it didn't work for me. It just gave me enough of an idea how the paid software would work.

In the advance settings when I changed the number of words per minute and chunk size -- the control didn't go away and gets in the way of reading the text.

When I cut and pasted another article in the text box I couldn't even scroll and read the entire text that I pasted in.

But its great to know that one can understand what one is reading just by looking and not sub-vocalizing. (Well comprehend more than what I would have thought possible. ) I didn't realize that before. I don't think I would do that for something that I was trying to learn -- but for other types of reading, this is really helpful to know. So, even thought the free software doesn't work for me, I'm glad you linked to that web site. Thanks again! :)

Maybe this one will work better for you: ZAP Reader

Click on Settings link to change settings, and click on Reader link to cut and past text into box.

Maybe this one will work better for you: ZAP Reader

Click on Settings link to change settings, and click on Reader link to cut and past text into box.

Yes, this one worked better -- thanks! :ty:

'Tis not perfect (this version also has a big GUI control that sits in the middle of the screen and can't be moved) -- but at least the creators acknowledge that it is in beta.

I'm still surprised how much can be understood without subvocalization. I just thought that would work if one was skimming for something specifically.

Really glad this thread got started! :)

when im reading first person fiction/memoirs i have a set voice for dialog and when the character is talking to the readers. even as im reading posts i still have a set voice. im a hearie. this doesn't answer the question in any way. (#'^'#)

To answer your question about little words, if they are part of a sentence, they usually don't have a picture. I almost think this is why ASL is easier for me to understand than spoken language.

So for example, the word but, alone brings the image of a butt (yeah, I know), but if used in a sentence, like I wanted to go to the store, but couldn't, I would likely picture someone walking up to a store and turning back around (at this moment in time, and old general store near me called Anderson's which is now closed with me walking up to it and a closed sign on the door).

Has generally is either someone holding something (like she has a book) or someone having a description (she has blonde hair). Has doesn't have a picture to itself, but in a sentence it is the person/thing possessing something. Are is similar, it could be they are late (people walking in looking at a clock) or they are short (a bunch of people my height).

Some, the and a/an are all sort of number words. Some can be relative (some Americans - thousands, some of my fingers - less than 5) so depends on the subject. Some Americans would probably picture the map of the US with people standing around the states. Some of my fingers, I would picture my hand with certain fingers held up.

I was trying to figure it out while reading a play for homework, whether I hear a voice that narrates the picture or not. I think sometimes there is one, but sometimes there isn't. There are definately sound effects in my head - wind, explosion, and basically all of the onomatopoeia have sound affects attached to the picture. Some are a feeling, like God is a warm cozy feeling, love is similiar, hate is a cold feeling, and of course, things like temperature, pain, sensation are all felt. Taste is also important and ironically not always something that would generally be edible. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but I taste the word cloud. I picture it, but there is a specific taste to it too. There have been times I have gone somewhere and commented "this smells like X tastes" where X is not always something you would normally taste. Now granted, as a kid I had to put everything in my mouth (probably one of the Asperger traits, sensory seeking), so I've probably tasted things most people haven't, but some words have a taste that doesn't make sense. Or a texture on my tongue, like silver is a cool, smooth, shiny taste.

So...do I hear a voice? Sometimes I think I do, but if for example, I'm listening to a book on tape, and NOT reading along (normally I do both for full comprehension), I cannot repeat back to you a quote of the words most of the time, but I can usually repeat back to you the picture I saw. I remember what people say in pictures. I remember places by pictures. But I think sometimes there is a voice that narrates things. I know when I was little, a lot of times I would talk like I was writing a book. Rather than saying "Jimmy told me that he can climb a tree." I would say, "I can climb a tree," claimed Jimmy.

Back