How did you improve your speech?

Yeah!! It often takes 2 to tangle. You lift me. I lift you. You never know!! A person may feel valued that you want their help to improve your speech. I'm sure that is how a lot of friendships form. You would learn speech and make a new friend or 2.

Precisely. That's why people come here or go to a big event like Deaf Expo.... to make new friends, and like you said, it does take two to tangle-- or better yet, resolve the issue as a team.

Wow! Thanks for the great tips. However, do you recommend that I read a book (that does NOT have pronouncation guides) out loud and listen to myself? That would be difficult though.

How about an audio book? You can get these at your local library.

I'm developing some software that helps with this. Anyone interested in giving it a spin? It's free :)

The program isn't released yet, but it's almost at the beta-testing stage.

My speech is quite good, but I know someone who could use a little more work on his.

Idk what thw heck i did as a kid to speak all right. Enough for people nit to realize i was deaf. But well i did a lot of singing and reading. I guess that was it. And well as soon as im out of here i will keep teaching my fiance's little brother how to sign. Everyone in his family is learning too because his little brother is losing his hearing. Probably in 2 years he will have lost it completely. Wanna teach him at least the basics before he is deaf.

Wow! Thanks for the great tips. However, do you recommend that I read a book (that does NOT have pronouncation guides) out loud and listen to myself? That would be difficult though.

if you live in America... I'd recommend you to see your vocational rehabilitation. if you qualify for it, they will pay for your speech therapy.

Strong can you get a speech evalution? I wouldn't worry all that much.....Have others mentiond that your speech isn't great?
As FF said, NOTHING will get rid of that deaf voice.....our speech is never going to be as good as a hearing person's speech.

Idk what thw heck i did as a kid to speak all right. Enough for people nit to realize i was deaf. But well i did a lot of singing and reading. I guess that was it. And well as soon as im out of here i will keep teaching my fiance's little brother how to sign. Everyone in his family is learning too because his little brother is losing his hearing. Probably in 2 years he will have lost it completely. Wanna teach him at least the basics before he is deaf.

How old is his little brother? If he's still in school he could attend a Deaf school/program or Gally/NTID....that's an awesome way to pick up ASL!

I don't know about you guys, but I speak just like a hearing person would-- my voice and level of speaking is very advanced.

I don't know about you guys, but I speak just like a hearing person would-- my voice and level of speaking is very advanced.

This. I want my speech to be refined. I don't really believe that we can get rid of our "deafie" voice. I had a speech assessment recently and found out that I need to work on these phonemes:

/th/, /r/, /f/ and /p/.

Any suggestions? If I work on these letters, my speech will be perfect as long as I keep practising.

This. I want my speech to be refined. I don't really believe that we can get rid of our "deafie" voice. I had a speech assessment recently and found out that I need to work on these phonemes:

/th/, /r/, /f/ and /p/.

Any suggestions? If I work on these letters, my speech will be perfect as long as I keep practising.
Did the person doing the speech assessment give you any suggestions?

I don't think it's expected that practice will necessarily result in perfection of speech.

That's a tough one. How about looking at some words with those, and speaking to yourself how to say it? Doesn't have to be out loud; think in your mind how it sounds and go from there.

How old is his little brother? If he's still in school he could attend a Deaf school/program or Gally/NTID....that's an awesome way to pick up ASL!

He is 7. And well no one in familu is willing to send him to a reside tial deaf school. Neither does he want to go. And there been no program for deaf kids here i am going to teach him what i can. Also he has some other disabilities to take into account and well he doesn't trust too many people.

This site keep erasing everything I write, so I am going to try just one more time, but this time I am not going to give any explanations or instructions. SPOKEN ENGLISH by the DEAF: </title> </head> <body bgcolor="#000000" background="Lightening.gif" text="#ffff00" link="#000000" alink="#000000" vlink="#ffff00"> <script type="text/javascript"> ////// Compete ///////////////////// __compete_code = '667f89f26d96c30e99728fe6a608804 You would need a hearing person to help you get started with the four voice sounds, the two articulated aspirated voice sounds and the Orthographic Code which contains all the sounds of English -about 32 or so.

English has four voice sounds ah uh eh ih and two of them can be articulated and aspirated to make ee and oo. Two or three of the four sounds put together, one after the other, are called diphthongs. Most English sound begins in the throat and echoes through and out the mouth. M and N begin in the nose and end with burst through the lips (m) or a burst of the tongue leaving the upper gums (n). English has nine articulations that do not have voice sound p s k f h t th sh wh, but are whisps, pops, gusts, and hisses of breath through and by the throat, tongue, teeth and lips. If you add voice to them, you get the sounds of b d e g j l m n r v w z. The Orthographic Code contains all the sounds of English. Every single sound when it is alone, and every word ends with articulated aspiration. Syllables of words begin and end with consonants, when possible, which is most of the time. Syllables are connected with continuing voice sound, but words are not, the last consonant of one syllable being the first consonant of the next. The last syllable of every word begins with a consonant. Each word is said separately, and ends with full articulation and aspiration of its last sound. Syllables of words begin with a consonant and end with a consonant, when possible, which is most of the time. The last consonant of one syllable often is the first consonant of the next syllable of a word. The hum of voice is heard from beginning to end of each word, but not from beginning to end of sentences or phrases. Failure to change the voice sound, ah uh eh ih, and failure to stop the voice sound at the ends of words with articulate aspiration, are the "deaf sound." Grammar is simple compared to others languages, and must remain simple for the best understanding. Nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, prepositions and conjunctions, and their phrases serve as Subjects, predications (what the subject is doing or being), objects and description. Four voice sounds, two aspirated articulations of voice sound, nine articulation (consonants), the names of five vowels, A E I O U, the names of the letters of the alphabet and the numbers, are all included in the Orthograph Code (about 32 sounds). Accent, to express emotion or to draw attention to a sound, syllable, word, or phrase, is achieved with volume or extended the time of the sound, and by whispering (almost soundless speech). Hearing people often must be reminded that they are speaking too loud or too softly, or not articulating and aspirating clearly enough to be understood. No one does it perfectly, except the Queen of England, and there is great latitude in the ranges of every sound, but with definite limits to those ranges. Spelling is the hardest part of English, so we have dictionaries (there five or six combinations of letters to indicate the sound of the name of the letter A, and several combinations for each of the sounds of the names of the letters E, I, O and U. For more explanations and instruction: the http address is john-richardson-meadows then a period or point then angelfire then period or point and com. The video, which would require assistance of a hearing person is http://youtu.be/M0rx6EneN_4

/th/, /r/, /f/ and /p/.

"th" "r" "f" and "p"
The sound of "p" (which has no voice sound with it) is achieved by placing the lips together, building a bit of pressure, and letting them pop apart. "P" with voice sound is "B."
The sound of "f" (which has no voice sound with it) is achieved by placing the top teeth on the lower lip, letting a little air escape, then burst apart with a gust of air. If you are not careful you may spit in someone's face. "F" with voice sound is "V."
The sound of "R" is achieved by lifting the tongue slightly towards the alveolar ridge inside the mouth just above the top front teeth as you make the sound of "uh," a little grunt, in the mouth, on the tongue, which should wabble (vibrate) a little. "R" without this sound of voice is a whistle. The alternate sound of R which can be used at the ends of words and syllables is just a little grunt "uh." Foreign languages use this grunted "uh" for R at the beginnings of words, but English does not.
The sound of "th" (which has no voice sound) is achieved by placing the tongue on the top front teeth, letting a little air escape, then burst open with a gust. If you are not careful you will spit in someone face. "th" with voice sound is "the."

Back