How did you defend thesis for your Master's degree?

Jiro - "A modeling simulation of a gasoline contamination in an unconfined aquifer in Moscow, Idaho"

Hydrogeological investigation using computational models on the fate and transport behaviors of a 11,000 gallon gasoline leak into the unconfined aquifer. Documents of the spill site containing 10 years worth of accumulated data on BTEX (benzene, toulene, ethylxylene, xylene) groundwater samples along with geophysical investigations of shallow subsurface, geological and soil samples, monitor wells reports, stratigraphic descriptions and surface water data from nearby perennial creek were used for the purpose of obtaining improved understanding of the dynamics involved in the fate and transport, and groundwater flow with help of analytical and numerical models. My investigation also required the use of 2 and 3-D graphical software applications for surface/subsurface details on fate and groundwater flow, geology, and topography.

When you show up in Vegas we will have to talk about Xylene in aquifers.....Not a challenge, a story

Let me ask you this.....not a quiz....lol. Curiosity.

What would be the potential effects of a large underground xylene bladder rupturing and leaking into an underground water source which runs into a 3 acre pond on a golf course approximately 1000 yards away

Let me ask you this.....not a quiz....lol. Curiosity.

What would be the potential effects of a large underground xylene bladder rupturing and leaking into an underground water source which runs into a 3 acre pond on a golf course approximately 1000 yards away

If it percolates to the surface of the water it'll evaporate, otherwise it'll simply persist underground for awhile though not that long. Though you didn't say how much volume-wise.

If it percolates to the surface of the water it'll evaporate, otherwise it'll simply persist underground for awhile though not that long. Though you didn't say how much volume-wise.

I don't know the volume...lets say full.......maybe 50ft x 30ft.....no idea on the depth. Would it have an effect on the golfers? Especially if untreated for awhile.....

I don't know the volume...lets say full.......maybe 50ft x 30ft.....no idea on the depth. Would it have an effect on the golfers? Especially if untreated for awhile.....

Not likely though we're still dealing with a variety of unknowns, including parameters. Slow leak, quick release? Depth? Above water table, at the water table, below? Type of geology? Soils? Sandy? Consolidated materials? Regardless, if it's a pond on some golf course, I'd let nature take it's course. Xylene volatilize quite readily out in the air and eventually from water.

Leak rapid enough and shallow enough to make the ground above the bladder damp in a Texas July. Soil umm dry and hard...type :dunno:

I would say the top of the bladder was 1ft deep and just outside the building.

This situation would be 1988ish

Leak rapid enough and shallow enough to make the ground above the bladder damp in a Texas July. Soil umm dry and hard...type :dunno:

I would say the top of the bladder was 1ft deep and just outside the building.

This situation would be 1988ish

Dry soil. It'll evaporate quickly, relatively so. Wetness or soil moisture is key in extending residence time. Xylene is low on the list when it comes to soil contamination, unless it's near a drinking water supply.

What if golfers were to dip towels into the pond for club cleaning and whatnot.....Sorry for getting off topic.

I don't want to ruin your thread......The reason I asked.... This actually happened and the course reported a higher than normal cancer rate (for the area) soon after.....Many many lawsuits were filed. EPA got involved and sued. It was eventually ruled that the Xylene leak was not a factor. But I as curious what an opinion 20 years later might be. Sounds like it is the same.

What if golfers were to dip towels into the pond for club cleaning and whatnot.....Sorry for getting off topic.

Think of it as cleaning agent or solvent. You can take a chance with your club doing that. LOL. Maybe smell a little sweet.

Think of it as cleaning agent or solvent. You can take a chance with your club doing that. LOL. Maybe smell a little sweet.

It's purpose in the bladder was for cleaning steel before painting......

are y'all trying to scare me or what? this is my L-A-S-T semester to complete my Master's.

are y'all trying to scare me or what? this is my L-A-S-T semester to complete my Master's.

Oh relax.....I wouldn't worry about defending your Masters

With Iran,North Korea, EMPs,Solar Storms,Global warming,Debt to China,Hurricanes,Earthquakes/California drivers and Northern California crime it is doubtful you will get a chance:lol: (j/k)

Yeah, global warming as caused by man is bunk which almost ranks in the same category of disbelief that there is no such thing as an oral defense for a Master's degree but *only* for PhD graduates. Just plain funny. But, yeah, NorCal, just believe in yourself and you'll do great things.

Moscow???? How dare someone named a town after a commie bastard!!! :lol:

btw - :ty: Interesting read. what was your finding?

I meant to address the "Moscow" thing.
Unique Beginnings

You're welcome on the read. You can check it out at the library if you want. Disbelievers are welcomed. :laugh2:

Back