How did you decide a career?

Kaitin

Reaction score
How did you decide a career? Are you happy? Do you have advice?

I can't think of any good career. I am sick of school now, but I don't have a career decided. Old jobs: lab technician, stable helper, dog walker - :(

All replies welcome! :ty:

How did you decide a career? Are you happy? Do you have advice?

I can't think of any good career. I am sick of school now, but I don't have a career decided. Old jobs: lab technician, stable helper, dog walker - :(

All replies welcome! :ty:

What kind of lab technician u used to be? Are you good with precision assembly like dental lab, opticial tech. lab or doing some repairs on watches like smallest screws to assemble on gears and etc.?

Hi, Whitewolves:

I worked in a medical research lab. I did ELISAs for finding cytokines in lung fluid. I also fed and divided lung cells growing in flasks. I've never done repair work or used precision assembly. But lab work was boring and lonely - just ELISAs all day, with pippettes and chemicals. I don't think I was good or very bad - just ok with ELISAs and lots of the other lab work I didn't understand. It wasn't my job, but I don't know if I could understand with a Biology degree (maybe in 2 years). The people in the lab had Ph.D degrees, M.D. degrees, or Ph.D. degree AND M.D. degree.

Do you do precision assembly? Do you like this?

:ty:

I decided on becoming a teacher when I volunteered at PDSD along with my curiousity to why many deaf people graduate with low literacy skills. I loved to read and write growing up so I wanted to share that love with deaf children. What I didnt know before entering the Deaf ed program were the other serious issues such as the big one, for example...language deprivation. Once I learned about it, it started the fire.

I love my job..it is stressful, yes, and it can do without all these IEPs, committees, and other ridiculous political BS. If I can just do that, then it would be the perfect job!!! :)

Thats right Shel, if they would just let you teach!
I'm 50 now and when my last group of kids is grown, (We've had
7 and I still have 3 at home) I've wondered what I will do
with myself. I've had so many different jobs. I've wanted
to become a natreopathic doctor but becoming one of those
is full of BS too. I'm too old to deal with people sitting
around tables and questioning me about weather they
think I would make a good PHd or not. I just don't want
to put up with crap any more. I am trying to start a home
based consulting business for alternative therapies. If
that generates sufficient income I will just kick back,
enjoy my hobbies and my grandkids, because what
else in this life is there? I would suggest that people
find the job they love. Whatever you would do even
if you didn't get paid for it. Then find a way to make
it pay.

:ty: Shel.

Did you doubt your career when in college or did you know?

I want a "fire" about a career, but I don't. I had a fire about school, now I don't also. I don't know. I want to stop school and work, but I don't have a job and my parents would kill me. :|

I'm a computer programmer. The company I work for make websites primarily aimed for youths. I fell into this job because it's very easy for me. I want to study languages and maybe be a teacher of English (language) history.

:ty: Shel.

Did you doubt your career when in college or did you know?

I want a "fire" about a career, but I don't. I had a fire about school, now I don't also. I don't know. I want to stop school and work, but I don't have a job and my parents would kill me. :|

Oh I had doubts up until my 3rd year of teaching! I kept hearing over and over again how that u need patience for this kind of job. I used to have a bad temper in my 20s and I would lose it over little and stupid things so I was worried about not having the patience for it. However, I kept on with my studies with those doubts. The first 2 years of teaching was the hardest cuz I was so overwhelmed and I wasnt sure if I was doing the right thing cuz I didnt have any experience working with children who were delayed but once I learned my style of teaching, the doubts disappeared. Yes, I still make mistakes and I am always finding ways to improve myself.

With teaching, it was always said if u are still overwhelmed and stressed out constantly by your 5th year, it is probably not the right career for you.

It seems that the job taught me to have more patience rather than teaching me to lose it more frequently. It was interesting.

I dont dread going to work..it doesnt feel like a job. I go because I look forward to it. :)

FYI..yes there are days when I dont feel like teaching..LOL!

About stopping college while working...I did that cuz after my 2nd year of college, I didnt know what I wanted to do. That was wayyy before I did volunteer work at PDSD. I got a full time job at an insurance company to see if the office environment suited me while doing volunteer work at different places after work or during the weekend. After 3 years of working for the insurance company, I knew that sitting on my butt all day doing repeative work wasnt my style so I went back to school full time. That was before I had kids so if u dont have kids, grab the opportunity to do volunteer work at different kinds of places. Maybe u can discover your kind of career that way.

I wish I did some volunteering in high school but I was too involved with sports.

it pay.

I would love to do that with interior designing in the future. That was and still is my dream job.

I have had 3 careers in my life: the first was out of neccessity of becoming independent, the second was raising my deaf son, and the third was the direct result of raising my deaf son. Having been actively involved in his education and having done extensive research into the educational and psychological and social aspects of deafness, it only made sense that, once he was an adult, I would continue with other deaf adoloscents and young adults. I saw, when myson was a younger child, too many childrengoing without services that were needed simply because a school system failed to provide, and parents did not have the where-with-all to demand what was needed. I also saw the psycho-social implications of mainstreaming and inclusion, and decided that the only way to back up my strong beliefs was with action. Hence, my third carreer.

it pay.

I didn't see your post, FredFam.

What is a "natreopathic doctor"? What kind of therapies? Good luck with your business! :)

I don't know a job I love. I didn't love lab technician or dog walker. I like horses but not stable helper either.

How do you find a job you love?

I have had 3 careers in my life: the first was out of neccessity of becoming independent, the second was raising my deaf son, and the third was the direct result of raising my deaf son. Having been actively involved in his education and having done extensive research into the educational and psychological and social aspects of deafness, it only made sense that, once he was an adult, I would continue with other deaf adoloscents and young adults. I saw, when myson was a younger child, too many childrengoing without services that were needed simply because a school system failed to provide, and parents did not have the where-with-all to demand what was needed. I also saw the psycho-social implications of mainstreaming and inclusion, and decided that the only way to back up my strong beliefs was with action. Hence, my third carreer.

Always you impress me, Jillio! :thumb:

What is a "natreopathic doctor"? What kind of therapies?

An "ND" is a doctor of natural medicine. They have the same education
as an MD only it is more extensive because it covers topics like nutrition
and herbal remedies and much more. Instead of only treating a symptom,
like most MDs do an ND will try and treat the entire person. This includes,
physical,spiritual, and mental health.

An example of a type of therapy would be this: Suppose you had
the early stages of congestive heart failure. An MD would put you
on oxygen if he felt you needed it and a diuretic(something to pull
the fluid away from your internal organs). These are examples of
treating the symptom. An ND would try the following first: He or
She would tell you to take two specific amino acids. (amino acids
are the basic building blocks of protein in your body) Those two
amino acids would be L-Taurine and L-Carnetine. And then to
help rid your body of the excessive fluid build up they may ask
you to drink peppermint tea which is a natural diuretic. If they
could not resolve your problem naturally in addition to the natural
therapies they may give you very small amounts of the things
the MD would give you. Pharmacy medicines are a last resort
in this area of medicine.

Another example would be to take Ginko Biloba to improve blood
circulation to the brain. Lots and Lots of natural treatments.
Taken in the early stages of illness they work best.

I would love to do that with interior designing in the future. That was and still is my dream job.

I am design impaired. My husband has to dress me or I may go
out with stripes and polka dots on. He doesn't mind though, he
likes to dress me.:giggle:

:laugh2:

:ty: for natreopathic doctor explanation! :)

LOL! I am a freak when it comes to my clothes coordinating with each other. However, when it comes to interior designing, I like to be very unusual and daring. I wouldnt make a good fashion designer since I tend to play it safe with clothes.

My home is decorated with unusual stuff..:)

I didn't see your post, FredFam.

What is a "natreopathic doctor"? What kind of therapies? Good luck with your business! :)

I don't know a job I love. I didn't love lab technician or dog walker. I like horses but not stable helper either.

How do you find a job you love?

First think about what you like to do so much that you would
do it even if no one paid you to. Like today, when I was shopping
a lady had some health related questions and I answered them. No
one was paying me in that health food store. But I love answering
those types of questions so much that I do it for free. I will turn
that into a career at some point. What do you love? Do you like
to write and like to eat out? Then maybe you should be a
restaurant critic. Think about your strengths and capitalize on them.

My home is decorated with unusual stuff..

Hahaha, I have 7 children. My home is decorated with
FREE stuff! :giggle:

First think about what you like to do so much that you would
do it even if no one paid you to. Like today, when I was shopping
a lady had some health related questions and I answered them. No
one was paying me in that health food store. But I love answering
those types of questions so much that I do it for free. I will turn
that into a career at some point. What do you love? Do you like
to write and like to eat out? Then maybe you should be a
restaurant critic. Think about your strengths and capitalize on them.

I love: running, playing soccer, reading for fun, friends, parties, dogs, cats, horses - any animal, learning about different people, meeting new people, learning new ideas and skills. My strengths are: outgoing, friendly, like everyone (almost) and (usually) most like me, good with animals, athletic, high energy, hard working (usually), not dumb, good with math and science (usually but not great), kind. My weakness (for balance): impatient, lose interest and stop paying attention, bored fast, niave (sp?) - I know, first I like everyone without "common sense" (my dad argues that I am too friendly to everyone without "using my head" and sometimes "softheaded" :(), not brillant, good grades with hard work and attention but bad grades with less work and attention, now hating school, probably immature, sometimes lazy.

I don't know a career that uses the strengths. I could: meet new dogs while running and doing math in my head on the road to making new friends. No. :D

Back