How can you go to church when youre deaf?

B

Buckdodgers

I dont know what the preacher is talking about and you cant sing nether.

i have a hoh friend who goes to church with me and she always signs the words to the ong as well as sings them... but u can always tape record the sermons and get someone to tell u about it later...

or u can talk to the preacher afterwards and he should be more than happy to write down what he was talking about...

There are some churches that provide interpreters. Do some research, you'll probably find one in the area. If you can't, then visit different churches and talk with someone at those places about interpreters. They might be able to provide one for you. :)

Kal-El said:
i have a hoh friend who goes to church with me and she always signs the words to the ong as well as sings them... QUOTE]

Unfortunately that is illegal, a Class B misdemeanor.
At least, in my state it is. Only a CERTIFIED interpreter can interpret anywhere.
Yeah, it blows.

My father used to take me to chruch eventho i'm deaf.. but He always SIGNS when he sings while i watch.. I know some Chruch who knows some signs where i live and Rochester too.. so I hope in future more interpeter or whoever knows signs can go to church and do it for deaf who attends to church!

Beowulf said:
Kal-El said:
i have a hoh friend who goes to church with me and she always signs the words to the ong as well as sings them... QUOTE]

At least, in my state it is. Only a CERTIFIED interpreter can interpret anywhere.
Yeah, it blows.
Churches are exempt.

At least one church by me has full support for hoh/deaf, including certified interpreters and open captioning. After talking with the interpreters, I learned that that church has over 30 deaf members and I also know that there are at least 2 deaf people that go to another church in town. I was surprised to learn all this because this town isn't very big, so I was impressed with the services offered.

I'm not sure where you're from, but I know in Illinois there are several Deaf churches (where the pastor is either fluent in ASL or is himself deaf), a Deaf synagogue, and a whole ton of churches and synagogues that provide interpreters on a regular basis.

Beowulf said:
Kal-El said:

Yeah, it blows.

Beowulf,

You're joking, right? What state are you in? Anyone can sign, if the interpreters in the area don't like it, they can kiss off.

I am hofh, and it's very difficult.
No matter how far or close I am.
I just have to trust that my Hub
gets everything so he can tell me.
Other than that, I can still worship
and honour God in my own way. Even
if I can't hear. :angel:

pek1 said:
Beowulf said:
Beowulf,

You're joking, right? What state are you in? Anyone can sign, if the interpreters in the area don't like it, they can kiss off.

No joke, pek1. (I am in Missouri.) I am also irked by this dumb law. I have friends who attend AA and NA meetings, and we are JOLLY WELL AWARE of this unfair law. If a friend who is an uncertified interpreter gets caught interpreting in a setting other than church, he/she faces a fine of $500 and/or imprisonment of one year.
At least, I think so. Perhaps Reba can explain it more thoroughly.
Yeesh.

Beowulf said:
pek1 said:
No joke, pek1. (I am in Missouri.) I am also irked by this dumb law. I have friends who attend AA and NA meetings, and we are JOLLY WELL AWARE of this unfair law. If a friend who is an uncertified interpreter gets caught interpreting in a setting other than church, he/she faces a fine of $500 and/or imprisonment of one year.
At least, I think so. Perhaps Reba can explain it more thoroughly.
Yeesh.

I hate to ask, Beowulf, but is it a state law that a person must wear a suit and tie to church in Missouri, too? :shock:

NAD has a list of state laws that apply to interpreters.
http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=180366

It appears a great deal of this has to do with remaining in ADA complicance, so it seems unlikely most laws would apply to or be enforceable in informal settings such as 12 Step Meetings, social events and church services. I just cannot imagine a way to legislate a hearing friend signing for a deaf freind to help them out. From what I can tell, this would be contrary to the spirit of most of these laws - not that this is univeral. I am sure some idiot judge could overdo it.

pek1 said:
Beowulf said:
I hate to ask, Beowulf, but is it a state law that a person must wear a suit and tie to church in Missouri, too? :shock:

Only if you sell cookies there.
Or recruit Marines.

And yeah, MorriganTait: otherwise this makes outlaws of some friends.

ayala920 said:
I'm not sure where you're from, but I know in Illinois there are several Deaf churches (where the pastor is either fluent in ASL or is himself deaf), a Deaf synagogue, and a whole ton of churches and synagogues that provide interpreters on a regular basis.

Agreed. The church I went to when I was growing up realized that I would need an interpreter so they hired a SNOYD pastor who eventually became a monthly pastor at the church, drawing other deaf members to the services. If one wants interpretation or a pastor for the deaf, they can ask or look around.

Back