How can I teach hearing people to respect me?

What about wearing a work tshirt that says: I'm not deaf, I just have selective hearing." - might make the most hardened customers loosen up and find you non threatening. It's something I had thought about recently, too. I think I'll get a tshirt printed.

Think about how you might make it fun and exciting for the customers to talk with you.. especially in a field of business. You can't wait for 'em.. just take the initative and grab 'em in the balls or the boobs :)

What about wearing a work tshirt that says: I'm not deaf, I just have selective hearing." - might make the most hardened customers loosen up and find you non threatening. It's something I had thought about recently, too. I think I'll get a tshirt printed.

I've seen T-Shirts like that somewhere... Usually, in this context it is typically a hearing person wearing it. ;) I guess it can go both ways... :D

Oh I know it's disappointing sometimes when people ignores us. Typically, I ask them to repeat. They would, but a few would rather say never mind, so I am like, okay, it's your loss not mine. Sure, I don't like their behavior, especially when one lady was a hypocrite when she signed "thank you." You would think she'd know better if she knew a sign word, she'd be patient to try to communicate with a deaf person.

I had a boy who just seems uneducated about manners. He was next to probably his grandfather. He asked me something about a bike, and I didn't get the last word. I said, could you please slow down a little. He signed and rolled his eyes. Talks louder and slower. I just went, "sshhhh." I didn't get him 'cuz obviuously loud and real slow doesn't help, so I said, I don't know ask that man (another employee) and turned around. I couldn't believe his grandfather would just stand there like his boy didn't do nothing wrong by rolling his eyes at me. It's their loss because they don't get what they're looking for. I truly don't like it, but I really can't do anything else.

Maybe you can tell them, "you don't have to be so rude." So they get that you have feelings, and you're not a dumb person.

Think about how you might make it fun and exciting for the customers to talk with you.. especially in a field of business. You can't wait for 'em.. just take the initative and grab 'em in the balls or the boobs :)

Ha ha, I have a tshirt that says:
"Keep on talking, I love watching your lips moving."

At my workplace, I have to deal with a lot of hearing people, though it is a bit different because they KNOW that I am deaf. Still, there are some people who don't get a clue at all that they need to write with me. The morning supervisor keeps on talking and talking, and when I don't know the topic, I find it hard to follow her. Sometimes I just give up and nod, then ask someone else. You would think that the supervisor would want to make sure that all of her employees understood everything. Not always in her case. However, the night supervisor is wonderful and I really like him. He can tell if I didn't understand him and will write down whatever he said.

I just try my best and smile, and sign "thank you" to everyone. It seems to be quite contagious cos everyone is thanking me now, he he he...

I remember when I worked as a special orders clerk, my contact with customers was through my "secretary" but sometimes I was beckoned by the floor staff or my supervisor to come out and help some customers. First thing I did was to explain them that I was deaf, and I am such a poor lipreader so it probably would be better for us to communicate by paper if it was ok with them. I never had problems with customers from that and it was quite positive experience for me (and perhaps the customer, since he/she got his/her books.)

I remember one time, it was like 2 days before Christmas, and our deadline for ordering books before Christmas had expired. The customer was in a total panic, so the floor staff came to get me. When I got to the station, I was a bit afraid the customer would be rude, but when I explained to her, she had no problem at all. I asked her what book she needed, and then I found out that a store had it but it was one hour away. Customer was like she didn't have time to do it, so I offered to go driving to the other store to pick it up for her, and bringing it back in about two hours. The customer was thrilled and could not stop thanking me. I got a thank you card from her later on, telling how happy she was of her experience with me and that she would keep patronising at our store due to our wonderful workers.

I think it is a matter of attitude. Just smile and say "Im sorry I missed that what did you say?" If there is a word you didn't understand, just ask the person to write that one last word or something. Indeed, you will still have some stupid customers, so it wil not be your fault at all but theirs. There is no need in losing sleep over these lowlifes.

Working with the public

Hi Sue!
Working with the public is diffifult even if you are hearing but especially if you are deaf or hard of hearing.
My room mate works with the public she is hearing but because English is not her first language people treat her rudely too and do not try to understand her.
Fran

This is a huge issue at work for me. There are some customers do not respect me for the plain fact that I am hard of hearing. I am nice and very repsectful to these people. I try very hard to speak very clearly so everyone can understand my speech. There are some people who will not take the time to understand me. They just ignore me! :mad: :pissed: These people are only a tiny percentage of my "customers". :ty: What should I do? :dunno:

If you were in their shoes... you would ignore a deaf person, too.
There is nothing you can do about it.

I was a Kmart cashier, it was a brutal job for me...

Once customer notice me I have a hearing problem, after they come back
to the store again in other days... they won't stand in line in my aisle.

One day, nobody was in my aisle... customers go do service with hearing cashiers.

And people who are in hurry, they go thru my aisle, buying a can of beer or chips and just pay cash and left...

Man, I have a tough life. so I quit that job.

They will probably just laugh at you. ;)

I have deal with hearing people. Some hearing people don't have a patience with deaf people. Just move on...

this happens way too often. on a different note. I am working on a project that will help prevent miscommunication with police officers. i am tired of negligent incidents where deaf and hard of hearing are put in danger because cops can't even understand the basic sign for "i am deaf". if anyone can help fill out a survey i would greatly appreciate it. together we can make a change.

This is a huge issue at work for me. There are some customers do not respect me for the plain fact that I am hard of hearing. I am nice and very repsectful to these people. I try very hard to speak very clearly so everyone can understand my speech. There are some people who will not take the time to understand me. They just ignore me! :mad: :pissed: These people are only a tiny percentage of my "customers". :ty: What should I do? :dunno:

I would say, FINE, I will take your Tax money and live off of SSI (I have told someone this before because of lack of respect)

I was a nurse aide AND 7-11 cashier before and people complained all the time about me. I just don't say anything most of the time, and kept doing my work. But I will tell you the truth, Everyone have something to complain about. If you were hearing, they will find something else to not like about you.

Last edited:
I understand important to hearing people don't like deaf people. I told against to law Bullying, I am happy Canada say not permission not right bullying or insult, beating fight.

That is serious important to you better support to take care people. I think so people of respect to you also deaf can't try voice or bad sounds. That is normal you don't believe why me voice. I got new set up for ASL CLUB in school bishop james mahoney. I am happy encourage people want to pay $1,2,3 dollars not bad expensive to pizza. People want to share eat to pizza other person proud interest to involves learn how ASL CLUB class in school in lunch only Wednesday 2weeks. I am proud of you try changelle focus set up new development. I think so good set up on school new accept. I am proud thanks Principal understand that interest to you. I think cool :)

Sorry to hear that. In the hearing world, there are many rude people also. I think that people should be more understanding and considerate toward one another but that is not the case. I think the most important thing is that you respect yourself first. If people want to get to know you then they will make an effort to do so. If not then it's alright. Your life does not depend on them.

Usually, it depends on the local society.

In my hometown, the percentage of deaf residents is so low that not enough hearing people are fully aware of what to expect or what to do when confronting a deaf person.

In Rochester, NY, the percentage of deaf residents is high enough that the hearing locals are more understanding and treat us better than we would expect. Of course, there will always be a few who are just a bunch of pricks. :)

I've always told my son, "You be as nice and respectful and tolerant as you are supposed to be. If people still treat you rude just because you are deaf, it has nothing to do with you. Some people are just ignorant and rude, and they are happy to be that way. You can't change them. Feel sorry for them, because their ignorance makes their life very small and dull. :)

Well said, Jillio. I couldn't have said it better myself. I am a window clerk at the Post Office and have to deal with rude people all the time. I like your attitude and you are a wise person. Your son is lucky to have a parent like you.

I saw a bumper sticker a couple of years ago, it said: "If you ain't rude you ain't shit". People I was with thought it was funny.

Rude and disrespectful is part of U. S. American society. Not sure about the rest the world. Being nice is somehow thought of as being weak and dishonest. I told a friend of mine, "I prefer your hair the way you had it before." Another friend standing with us said, "Tell her the truth, her hair looks like frizzed out crap." And I'm saying, "But maybe other people like it. Why not say it nicely?" Of course the person who just got her hair done walked off.

Some of my family are very large. Strangers will wallk up to them in public and tell them they are a disgrace. Waitresses have told them they should not order this or that but should go for the fruit plate with plain yogurt.

At my old job two black men reported a boss because he spoke to them so disgustingly. They were told nothing could be done about it because he talked to everyone like that. The only way anything could be done is if he treated one select group of people disrespectfully. When they replied, "No one should be talked to like that, ever." They were told they could always go find other jobs.

Truth is everyone has a right to be treated with respect.

But here I'm afraid freedom means people have the right to be a jerk.

Some of my family are very large. Strangers will wallk up to them in public and tell them they are a disgrace. Waitresses have told them they should not order this or that but should go for the fruit plate with plain yogurt.

That is so cold...cant believe the guts of some people. Wow..

Back