How can I say this nicely?

opr0000m said:
I don't think it's their fault though. I mean you can't tell someone is deaf by looking at them, and if they aren't aware that you are deaf, what do you expect? just because they are ignorant doesn't make them bad people who should be mistreated for it.

I can understand the frustration though. most people in general are just ignorant dumbasses.
The fact that you generally can't see if a person is deaf is not an excuse for being ignorant and rude, though. The problem is not that they expect the person to be hearing, it's the fact that when they realise the person is deaf they then proceed to harass the person and be rude about it at.

You oughtta see these people around my hearing dog, Snickers. Even with her cape on, people think the "do not pet" doesn't apply to them. :roll: They ask me questions about her and what she does, so far, I've only run into one clod who said something inappropriate, which I never answer.

Teresh said:
The fact that you generally can't see if a person is deaf is not an excuse for being ignorant and rude, though. The problem is not that they expect the person to be hearing, it's the fact that when they realise the person is deaf they then proceed to harass the person and be rude about it at.

Sadly, that is quite true. Actually, you can apply to anybody who is seen as "inferior" for whatever reason. I'm not sure why people need to feel to "Lord it over" others... Are they so insecure??? It is either that or they think they are "God's gift" to everybody. I guess nobody told them that it isn't about them...

That happens to me while working at Minnesota State Fair or State Capitol snack shop... People who work with me or legislators or lobbyists or staffers know me- sometimes visitors come and wanted something, sometimes I can't get what they say while lipreading, so I had to tell them to write paper or repeat, but sometimes lucky when there is someone that know ASL or some signs.. sometimes people gestured like a father who relaized I am deaf, so had bag of chips and gestured to open it for his son, so I did. I have hard time understanding little kids talking, so their parents talked to me for them for more clearfity. I would never flip a birdie at the Capitol or State Fair or I will lost my job.

u need to buy a necklace signed 4 "I.L.Y." or letter beads that says "I'm Deaf" or "DEAF CAN'T TALK" So that way it's easier for costumer to show more identified abt urself who u are.

SmiLe ImL said:
u need to buy a necklace signed 4 "I.L.Y." or letter beads that says "I'm Deaf" or "DEAF CAN'T TALK" So that way it's easier for costumer to show more identified abt urself who u are.

While we're at it, SmiLe ImL, why not have a tatoo on the face that says a particular person is deaf/hoh? :shock: If hearies don't have to do that, why should deaf/hoh? :thumbd:

Back