How can I improve my finger spelling speed?

fingerspelling duel?? What is this?

They were trying to see who could spell the most words, without mistakes. They started small and moved up.

normal depend your skills slow process your fingerspelling because sometimes I aware it! I fast to spelling pretty fast I am very learn it!!!

They were trying to see who could spell the most words, without mistakes. They started small and moved up.

Lol! I shall prepare for the Fingerspelling duels. From A-B, C-D, M-N, and so on, I will make everyone here look like they are just 1 week in ASL 1.

Lol! I shall prepare for the Fingerspelling duels. From A-B, C-D, M-N, and so on, I will make everyone here look like they are just 1 week in ASL 1.

Son practices with: S-U-P-E-R-C-A-L-I-F-R-A-G-I-L-I-S-T-I-C-E-X-P-I-A-L-I-D-O-C-I-O-U-S.

I'm trying to think of ideas for games to play with fingerspelling.

Here's one:
3 people. A pencil and a piece of paper.

1 is a judge and will have 2 other people sign whichever the judge wants them to sign--random word(s), sentences, name of place, etc. They will be written on the paper and the judge will show it. Count on 3.

Whoever signs the fastest wins. Oh and it needs to be signed perfectly or close to it.

Your signing is off the chain! That means good, lol. I couldnt help but look at that gorgeous ginger cat in the background.:giggle:

Any faster and your hand would look like a big blur. I'm a novice so..lol. Id like to be able to sign like you very soon.

Yeah , I loved it when the cat looked right ahead at the camera! LOL!
I think I got one word out the first ytube , the word 'forgot'.

Hello! I'm a hearing student, just saying.

I'm interested in improving my fingerspelling speed! I try to practice as much as possible. Sometimes, I'll read things (for example, on the board) and just fingerspell what others write to get more used to it. Also, I have a tough time understanding when others fingerspell. When watching videos, I always have to rewind. Sometimes, I miss out on letters.

The only conversations I've ever had with someone who had signed before were with a teacher. Sometimes, it's a little embarassing always having to ask if they can please sign slower :|

What are some ways that I can improve my fingerspelling speed, as well as understand fingerspelling more accuratly? I greatly appreciate any advice!

EDIT: Here are some videos to show how I'm slowly, yet surly (at least I like to tell myself that haha) progressing with my signing. I'm becoming more comfortable doing so.

1st video for class:
ASL Autobiography - YouTube

4th or 5th video for class, 6 months later:
A Fishy Story - ASL - YouTube

Please excuse all my errors :dunno: :whistle:
I was always taught to look at shapes instead of individual words or letters, try that and see if it helps... Good job on the videos by the way! What level are you?:wave:

how about sign,
the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

BULL CRAP.....your speed????? Do you really want to develop your speed? FOR WHO? I am profoundly DEAF and i know no no no no DEAF that impress with your hearing people SPEED !!! We dont want to be impressed with your stupid speed. We want CLARITY ! Thats all. We want to be able to read your fingerspelling. Big turn off to us you try flash fingers in front our face fast to impress us. It makes DEAF like me angry. Stop abusing MY language like that. My language is beautiful and we DEAF want keep it that way. If you want impress someone with fast hands you in wrong major.

Thank you for the advice, everyone!

Wow, my fingerspelling has really improved! I have learned that as many people have mentioned, the CLARITY and accuracy of fingerspelling is much more important than speed. I first learned sign language about 3 years ago, and since one of my best friends is Deaf now, he says that he feels I'm a level 5 now! I still practice fingerspelling every day. When I am bored or walking to work, I'll fingerspell names, street signs, etc. I call bingo numbers at my work, so that's a great way for me to practice numbers, too!

Back