How can I get CI?

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
I had Cochlear implant that are way outdated. I need to have a surgery to replace at least updated implant to get new CI working. I have a SSI but I only have about range of 300-400 dollars. I know these will cost thousands. How can I afford these? I want a surgery and new CI. Thanks!

do you get Medicaid with your SSI? is your old CI absolutely not working, failed, dead? Have you even gone to a CI Center about all this, discussed this with a CI surgeon?

I think just because of the fact one of the CI is broken, you can get it all done for free by the company, only thing you would be responsible for is, your own medication

I have medicaid. I planning to visit the doctor about surgery after football season.

I have medicaid. I planning to visit the doctor about surgery after football season.

Just give a call to the company you had implanted with and they should do everything for free, why take governemnt money when you can just have the company pay for it.

ASk Borg, they will do it for free, in exchange to assite them take over Earth.

Just give a call to the company you had implanted with and they should do everything for free, why take governemnt money when you can just have the company pay for it.

The internal CI parts are warranted for 10 years (for Cochlear products). Externals are warranted for 3 years. Not sure about AB.

Medicaid will pay for a replacement but only if the doctor deems it medically necessary.

The internal CI parts are warranted for 10 years (for Cochlear products). Externals are warranted for 3 years. Not sure about AB.

Medicaid will pay for a replacement but only if the doctor deems it medically necessary.

oh didnt know that, weird too cause i had mine for 13 years before it broke. (AB)

My grandma think I don't need new internal, I just need an upgrade CI. I aruged that my internal is too old to work for new upgraded CI. I tried on one of my friend's new CI and it don't work. All I heard is buzz.

My grandma think I don't need new internal, I just need an upgrade CI. I aruged that my internal is too old to work for new upgraded CI. I tried on one of my friend's new CI and it don't work. All I heard is buzz.

A new CI is a new implant. I think you are referring to processor.

Just go see an audiologist because they have tools that test the internal to see if it works 100%.
If the internal doesn't work, then you'll be likely to get a new implant (if you want that), if the internal is working, all you need is a new processor that is compatible with the internal.
It all depends on if the internal is truely broken or not.

Dude, your friend's CI processor will only work for your friend, it won't work for you (or anyone else with a CI) as it is programmed and matched up to your friend's implant. You can't just try other people's CI processors, it just doesn't work that way.

Go to the audie, and find out what needs to be done. Then you can either get a new implant (if the old one does indeed need to be replaced) or get a new upgraded processor.

Dude, your friend's CI processor will only work for your friend, it won't work for you (or anyone else with a CI) as it is programmed and matched up to your friend's implant. You can't just try other people's CI processors, it just doesn't work that way.

Go to the audie, and find out what needs to be done. Then you can either get a new implant (if the old one does indeed need to be replaced) or get a new upgraded processor.

I do remember that the last generation of processors from AB, you were able to switch with other deaf peers lol. My friends BTE was soooo loud and mine as he told me, was sooo quiet. :giggle:

I do remember that the last generation of processors from AB, you were able to switch with other deaf peers lol. My friends BTE was soooo loud and mine as he told me, was sooo quiet. :giggle:

yeah and that's exactly the reason why we shouldn't "change" it with other CI users, because if someone's processor is too loud, it can even hurt you (at least that is what we were told)

I just know with AB's Harmony, you can't trade them with anyone else. Heck you can't even put the Right processor on the left ear, it just will not work. I figured it was the same with the other implants, but what do I know. I just now this is the case with the Harmony (and I believe the Neptune as well).

Back