How can I get a good adjustment?

eirlys

Reaction score
It's been over a year now and I kind of gave up. Things just sound bad/gross/annoying. I only wear my HA when I go outside because I have a really hard time functioning in public without. At home, I go without because I see no need to hear everything going on anyway... and I think I hear fine as is (you don't know what you're missing until it's gone).

My deal is.. I can't get a good adjustment and I'm afraid to go back, lest they mess it up more. I can't seem to find the magic words to tell them. Their software has words such as.. "tinny, metallic, echo, wooshy, airy, etc" that when you complain about it, they push the button to fix it. I'm also afraid that if I go back, they will turn the compression back on which gives me an obnoxious head expanding fluttering sound for some reason. I can't deal with compression. My first audi said it was common for people with reverse slope conductive loss. Also not sure if my earmolds are appropriate. I believe they are half-shell molds. He said I would hate anything else because they would fall out anytime I bumped or bent my ear.

The way I see it... I'm losing out on life and money... but I really can't stand the sound. Maybe I'm just doomed to a life with a bad adjustment since I can't seem to find the words with what is wrong.. they just sound bad? lol

I'm no expert but maybe your brand of HA is just not for you? I know people can prefer one brand over another, maybe you can get a good adjustment with a different brand of HA but I'm only guessing.

Yeah.. I'm honestly afraid that's the problem. I couldn't go with any other brand because I went to several different audiologists who refused to help me. They said my hearing was too bad and I would hate any attempts to improve it because it would just all be loud and blarey. They were trying to sell me a BAHA.. which I can't afford and don't want. I figured that if I wanted to hear, I had to go with the only people willing to help me and deal with it.

I should not be gullible. The people I ended up going with don't have any connection to selling BAHA's and they told me I would hate that because it's all head vibratey... so I should buy their product instead. I just hate being taken advantage of.

As I understand matters: BAHA is aid for different problem in hearing-bone conduction. This is very different than Sensioneural.
Aside: I understand about 10% of hearing loss is bone conduction problem.

Thus the previous comment on having the "wrong type" for YOU, with the unsatisfactory result.

Consider seriously what is correct for YOU

Also, there is a discussion on bone conduction below.read with interest pertinent to you.

Last edited:
They should help you if you have a hearing loss with obs you do..

Do you have a mixed loss or is it pure conductive?

Surley every Audi should offer to help you as its up to you if you want or don't want a BAHA.

I know some people who struggle to get a good adjustment, wipe the HA clean and start from the very beginning including a hearing test.

Where did you buy your HA? I know people that buy that buy their HA from a store that only sell their brand are not always happy with their HA.

I have had issues getting my HA's adjusted to they are comfortable. I want clearer speech but along with that, background noise is WAY too loud. I tried to see if I could get used to it but it was just way too uncomfortable. I'm trying new hearing aids, which I will get in a few weeks, and if those make a difference, great, if not, I'm going to try CI's. What I found out from this site is I have issues with "recruitment". Basically it's a narrow window from soft to loud so I have a choice of soft or loud. The new Naida's apparently reprogram sounds at higher pitches and brings them into a lower pitch to help with this. We will see. I'll let you know if they help. I won't have them until the first week of May though.

besides would it be possible to get a Y-vent earmold? I wear those and is gonna get new ones before the end of the year :)

Back