How are new signs added to ASL when something new is invented or made?

BeckiGreen

Reaction score
I have a question. When something new is invented,who decides what the sign for it will be and how do people that use ASL find out what the sign is?
For example,when the Internet was invented or email, who decided what the sign for Internet or email would be? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Another example could be Starbucks. I see online that it has a sign,but at one point was it finger-spelled? Instead of finger spelling Starbucks, someone I guess made a sign for it. I guess I could have googled this question, but I would rather get my answers from the people on this website. Again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to learn all I can about ASL.

Starbucks sign comes from the picture that is the logo, and if someone doesn't know a sign, the person who signed it to them fingerspells it.

Good question. Who decides what the sign is for something new?

Perhaps someone invents one and it spreads out from one person to another and before you know it, it's the official sign.

Sort of like words I guess. Someone had to have invented "email", "hashtag" and endless of other words out there.

Signs that were invented in the last few years probably came from deaf vlogs that went viral.

Good question. Who decides what the sign is for something new?

Perhaps someone invents one and it spreads out from one person to another and before you know it, it's the official sign.

Sort of like words I guess. Someone had to have invented "email", "hashtag" and endless of other words out there.

I agree with you. I thought the same thing. Someone invents one and it spreads and becomes official.

Back