Housing Issues Problem...

michlynn34

Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure if I am in right place to post here so by the way, I have been talking with my landlord about need a new smoke alarm detector flashing and door bell in my apt many, many times but they said I have to buy my own door bell flashing, then my landlord said they will get a smoke alarm to put it in my apt but the landlord never do it. So, I also live in the apt building on the front or back door was locked then how they can come in here so I cant hear they knock it. I was have been so frustrated and not happy with my landlord for a long time. They should have known that it must be law for the handicapped ppl who live under the roof, but it seems they dont get their responsibilty as enough to do their job for the apt. I only am the deaf person to live under the HUD apartment around the hearing ppl live there for 10 years. I am trying how to get through ADA powerful to talk with my landlord to must have put them in my apt for my safety. I know there must be a law for the ppl who need their equipments for their home safety. Well, I dont know what am I supposed to do this? Let me know what's your opinion or suggestion? Or other way, Where can I find ADA on the site?

Umm, Have you been this same problem in your apartment or rent a house or hud apt as just like I used to be? Share a thought to talk about this.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

michlynn34 said:
Hi, I am not sure if I am in right place to post here so by the way, I have been talking with my landlord about need a new smoke alarm detector flashing and door bell in my apt many, many times but they said I have to buy my own door bell flashing, then my landlord said they will get a smoke alarm to put it in my apt but the landlord never do it. So, I also live in the apt building on the front or back door was locked then how they can come in here so I cant hear they knock it. I was have been so frustrated and not happy with my landlord for a long time. They should have known that it must be law for the handicapped ppl who live under the roof, but it seems they dont get their responsibilty as enough to do their job for the apt. I only am the deaf person to live under the HUD apartment around the hearing ppl live there for 10 years. I am trying how to get through ADA powerful to talk with my landlord to must have put them in my apt for my safety. I know there must be a law for the ppl who need their equipments for their home safety. Well, I dont know what am I supposed to do this? Let me know what's your opinion or suggestion? Or other way, Where can I find ADA on the site?

Umm, Have you been this same problem in your apartment or rent a house or hud apt as just like I used to be? Share a thought to talk about this.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Ur not only bec I done same thing when i was first time move new apt last 2000 and ask my old landlord to order everything what i need since can't heard knock and phone you know what i mean.. i never get from my landlord i get pissed off and give up and am decied go to BVR who help me thur get a job and ects since last year till finally i get them from BVR since my landlord didn't order! i told landlord it's requite do it so they never do it i was pissed off since i live on hud for 2 years almost 3 year soon. now i m glad that my bvr did get help everythings i need for my apt it's help lots but i turn light flash off during nite while i was sleep :giggle: I suggect why not try go to BVR or Deaf social it's might help you what you need for ur apt and ects wish you good luck!

I have a problem with my Landlord too you not the only one sweetie... Everytime I need something fix he wouldn't even do it. I have spend a lot of money on this house that I am living at right now for four years. when I first move in that house there was no cleaning done there was trash everywhere in the bedrooms closets, attic and even basement and also they used to have a cat there and that cat urine on the carpet the Landlord did replace the living room and stair carpet but that's all! I said what about upstairs? he said it doesn't look that bad. So when summer came along it was humid outside of course the smell started to stink and I told the landlord about it and he said nothing I can do about it so I had to take the whole carpet out from 2 bedrooms and hallway on my own and it was hard work. I also put up a ceiling fan in the kitchen because there no light plate in the kitchen ceiling this place had a lot of repairs need to be done and he says you live there so fix it up. (Grrrr) :pissed:

I never had this problem before in my life with Landlords but this one is my age 34 so? what the point of him being so Lazy when he still in his mid age?

michlynn34 said:

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Yes, I had been struggle with landlord for 5 years. I finally got a case manager from State of Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to contact with Disability Law Center to get a formal letter to writing to the landlord.

If your apartment is more than 9 units. Landlord is the one responsbility to installation the door bell and fire detector alarm light flashers.

If your landlord refused to provide you the equipments. You need to contact your State Commission for the Deaf then go to seeing Disability Law Center.

I finally got the detector light flasher last fall 2003 ! I have been wait and struggle for five years.

Cheri said:
I have a problem with my Landlord too you not the only one sweetie... Everytime I need something fix he wouldn't even do it. I have spend a lot of money on this house that I am living at right now for four years. when I first move in that house there was no cleaning done there was trash everywhere in the bedrooms closets, attic and even basement and also they used to have a cat there and that cat urine on the carpet the Landlord did replace the living room and stair carpet but that's all! I said what about upstairs? he said it doesn't look that bad. So when summer came along it was humid outside of course the smell started to stink and I told the landlord about it and he said nothing I can do about it so I had to take the whole carpet out from 2 bedrooms and hallway on my own and it was hard work. I also put up a ceiling fan in the kitchen because there no light plate in the kitchen ceiling this place had a lot of repairs need to be done and he says you live there so fix it up. (Grrrr) :pissed:

I never had this problem before in my life with Landlords but this one is my age 34 so? what the point of him being so Lazy when he still in his mid age?

You are not only the one !! I had been frustration and struggle with my currently landlord since 1997. I have to keep bugging to call and wrote several letters with mail certified. If he does not do anything then I will contact State of Massachusetts Tenancy rights.

I know, it is such pain in the ass to going through with step by step higher to contact those people.

I had the same issue when I first rent an apartment while I was first pregnant and my landlord never did put a flashing smoke detector but he sure did put in a door bell that makes my lamp flash every time someone rings the door bell outside the apartment....I had to complaint about this almost every other day and finally he understood where I was coming from when I was unable to open the outside door to let someone in.....

free alarms

FEMA funding allows us to offer free Gentex alarms(plug in to wall). Visit www.safehousecampaign.com to apply. No catch. We are a charity that focuses on home safety for the high risk populations.

NACHI said:
FEMA funding allows us to offer free Gentex alarms(plug in to wall). Visit www.safehousecampaign.com to apply. No catch. We are a charity that focuses on home safety for the high risk populations.

Huh?...
The units feature an extremely bright strobe that studies show can be noticed by sleeping individuals. A louder than normal audible signal is also featured for those with limited hearing capacity. A battery backup is included, but will not operate the strobe.The strobe takes significant power and thus would drain batteries within seconds. This explains the need for plug in or hard wiring.

You may as well as to apply it....

I have no problem w/my landlord.. He is damn gentleman mellow. (pssst He is real estate) If I buy some of things related this home replace it and reduce my rent cost from puchused cost. Wow, Nice reasonable Landlord, Ever we had him..
Actually We don't like living "rent home" and prefer own a house.

*still hunting* pretty slow and caution find right a house.. avoid mistake buyer a house.

I agree with you Michlynn, that Apartment provided you fire alarm light signal under the ADA law and regulation.

I had no problem with my old apartments did provide and installed fire alarm light signal to my room and living room and my roomate's room. We used to live in Fremont California last year. We moved to new apartment in Pleasant Hill and requested apartment manager that we need fire alarm light signal, she did not aware so she asked to maintance, so she then understood, so she was willing to pay fire alarm light signals for us.

By the way, I just mentioned about my experience that I received fire alarm light signals from my old apartments, you may feel free contact me CAPoliticsdeaf

Reba said:
If you live in HUD housing, the landlord must follow ADA requirements. Any business that accepts federal funds (such as HUD) must obey ADA.

Here are some sites to start with:

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=99543

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=138063

NAD is too far behind on many deaf issues at this time so here is the direct route to getting your housing complaint into the HUD system.

http://www.hud.gov/complaints/housediscrim.cfm

Richard

Back