Housing for deaf

Sharktank

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any housing for the deaf, prefer to live in a all deaf community. ( tampa bay area ) Thank you.

Keep on dreaming

If your smart, WAKE UP! Its only a dream.

If you wish to remain dumb, then stay sleep and keep dreaming.

There are some 'loose' communities I guess where there might be a small concentration of deaf people but as far as housing within a deaf community- that is near impossible to find. Closest you'll find maybe are nursing homes/retirement homes (I know of one in PA).

Maybe someday- there's nothing wrong with wishing/dreaming but also knowing it isn't available right now.

Sharktank, it might help if you had first introduced yourself so we would have a better idea of what kind of housing you were looking for. Like DD posted, sometimes there is housing for elderly deaf to live in community together but we don't know if you are elderly.

One problem about a specific community for deaf people is that deaf people, just like everyone, have different housing needs. Single people might want urban apartments, families with kids might want single-family houses in the suburbs, some can afford only to rent, etc. There are more factors that go into choosing a place to live than just being deaf.

Thank you for the feedback, I'm sorry, im new to internet sites. My step-son is completely deaf, and he is 23 years old. I was checking for housing for him.

Does he need a supervised group home or is he fully independent? Did he request you do the search for him?

Thank you for the feedback, I'm sorry, im new to internet sites. My step-son is completely deaf, and he is 23 years old. I was checking for housing for him.

U mean to say his deafness is his only so called "handicap"?

I don't think there are any specific living situtions for "just" dhh people......There may be for intellectucally disabled/autistic or mental illness, but none for "just dhh"

Tampa has a large deaf community. So do many other parts of Florida. If someone here from the Tampa area could help let Shark know where the local deaf hangouts are, maybe Shark can talk with a few people and see if there is a concentrated area of living, such as many living within a few blocks of each other. But I don't know if the step-son has other health needs too? I had a friend who lived in Tampa for years and there were several other deaf friends within walking distance. We used to go visit them whenever I visited her in Tampa.

Tampa has a large deaf community. So do many other parts of Florida. If someone here from the Tampa area could help let Shark know where the local deaf hangouts are, maybe Shark can talk with a few people and see if there is a concentrated area of living, such as many living within a few blocks of each other. But I don't know if the step-son has other health needs too? I had a friend who lived in Tampa for years and there were several other deaf friends within walking distance. We used to go visit them whenever I visited her in Tampa.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that, by and large, the "concentrated" ones are retirees
who naturally have a lot in common....

Yeah, I am pretty sure that, by and large, the "concentrated" ones are retirees
who naturally have a lot in common....

Oh, certainly. But the example I was using were in our age range (20's and 30's). Maybe my friend just lucked out that there were others close by in our age range.

Oh, certainly. But the example I was using were in our age range (20's and 30's). Maybe my friend just lucked out that there were others close by in our age range.

Yeah, and that's probably the age range the OP's talking about....except I am not sure what kind of accommodations the OP's getting at......and if he's even coming back here...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...r-deaf-at-complex-built-for-hearing-impaired/

"A 2005 federal study found that the U.S. had virtually no affordable housing for the deaf. So the federal government helped build Apache ASL Trails, a 75-unit apartment building in Tempe, Ariz., designed specifically for the deaf. Ninety-percent of the units are currently occupied by deaf and deaf-blind seniors.

But now, the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development says Apache ASL Trails violates civil rights law -- because it shows a preference for the hearing-impaired."

This also happen with senior housing in my city b/c because it shows a preference for 'seniors ' . Anyone that low income can now living in senior housing. Maybe a group home for deaf people but they're mostly for people that can't live alone b/c they have other heath issues

Yes he also, has tunnel vision, and he is indepndent. I told him I would try to help him find an affordable place to live, so thats why I reached out to you all. I do appreciate all your feedback. Thank you so much.

Yes he also, has tunnel vision, and he is indepndent. I told him I would try to help him find an affordable place to live, so thats why I reached out to you all. I do appreciate all your feedback. Thank you so much.

So he's D-B? That's a bit more complicated, since that puts him in the grey area. Have you contacted Florida School for the Deaf and Blind and asked them about any possible leads? http://www.fsdb.k12.fl.us/ He's still relatively young and they may be able to give some leads on housing for high functioning young adults.

Here are the services that HKNC offers: http://www.hknc.org/VocRehabMAIN.htm It's too bad that a postsecondary independent living program for D-B folks isn't out there.......
It's tough b/c intellectucally he does fine right? And then there's the fact that even a lot of us struggle with the high rate of rents......even hearing and sighted young adults do.

Have you tried looking on craigslist for room mates? or even going to the local Deaf schools? I know my friend out here in California lives with all deaf people. However, he said that it took time finding the right room mates. Also if you are in college, you can go to the disability center on campus and post a flyer for roommates wanted for the deaf.

Back