Hotels have captioned TV's?

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the hotels in the states have captioned TV's?

Does the hotels in the states have captioned TV's?

Not all have captioned. Most chained hotels.. like starwood, marriot, etc.. have CC. All Tv 13" or bigger and year 1992 ( i think..) are required to have CC chip inside tv.

here in US - all TV at least 13" are required have CC-ready since late 1980s as FCC has passed the law.

Frankly, I have some problem with certain hotel/motel that TV may be difficult to set to turn CC on since most required to turn from remote, not on actual TV. I have know very few hotel have simple one-button on TV to turn CC on.

Last time I went was Holiday Express Inn which is very friendly what TV by Philips have one-button CC on TV.

Of course all have closed caption, all you got to do is press CC on the TV screen, there you got your closed caption. I work three different hotels and one motel in my life. I usually leave it on, so the guests will say "What the heck" and they will have to struggle to shut it off. Shhhhh....Very tricky to find the CC button. Smile!!!

when im going hotels during my out of town and i watch tv with CC more understand for me but my mom always knew it what i wanted it than non-cc

:laugh2:

Of course all have closed caption, all you got to do is press CC on the TV screen, there you got your closed caption. I work three different hotels and one motel in my life. I usually leave it on, so the guests will say "What the heck" and they will have to struggle to shut it off. Shhhhh....Very tricky to find the CC button. Smile!!!

All TVs (13" and larger) were required to have CC decoders, if manufactured after July of 1993. Not all motels have CC enabled TVs, I stayed at a Super 8 in Marquette, MI last month and the TV was manufactured in 1989. no CC decoder. I complained at the front desk and they told me the only way to resolve that was to swap TVs with another room the next day, but the overnight desk worker wasn't sure if that was possible and I'd have to ask some one in the morning. diddn't bother and just went without TV for the two days I was there. (I diddn't have time to watch TV anyway)

If you want to be sure the TV in your room has closed captioning you should call ahead.

Back