Hot 'n' Heavy?

Chase

Premium Member
Reaction score
If this U.S. soldier in the Iraq War is praying for strength, who could blame him? That's certainly no Batman utility belt he has strapped on.

givemestrengthlordpx8.png

That's got to be hard to carried so much weight. :(

USA Soldier typically carries about 100lbs of gear especially Special Forces. Several of my friends are Army Rangers and Marines. One is dead in Iraq War :squint:

This is typical gear they carry: Kevlar Armors (VERY HEAVY! - chest + helmet), extra mags + M203 grenade rounds, water pak, M4 rifle w/ accessories, night vision, gas mask, supplies (shovel, MRE's, etc.), sleeping pad, woobie (blanket), different set of uniforms for rain/bio/chem, and their personal belongings - perhaps Maxim mag :giggle:. It's basically like they're mini-walking-warehouse.

The reason why they pack like this is because there is no guarantee that there will be a re-supply or base camp for a certain period of time and obviously there is no Wal-Mart or Hilton Hotel around. They are always on the move so the only time they'll be resupplied is when they're on R and R or if they completed the mission which can takes weeks.

God bless our soldiers :welcome: but God damn Bush Administration :wackit:

No matter how strong the soldiers are, most or some of them will have back pain later in life due to heavy backpack gear.

yup definitely. same for professional athletes.. oh well.... what can i say? occupational hazard. for me - i know i'm going to develop arthritis in my hands or even blindness eventually since my occupation requires me to be behind comp all day :D

maybe better off with shield from bullets and explosives? how awful to carry heavy weigh.

why not spend future IRON MAN technology for future soliders!

That must be hard especially climbing over and getting in and out of trucks.

maybe better off with shield from bullets and explosives? how awful to carry heavy weigh.

why not spend future IRON MAN technology for future soliders!

They already did about a decade ago lol. Of course - it's a huge challenge and it takes a few decades to perfect it. Cost factor is an issue. The biggest factor is power supply. That's the number one obstacle for ALL technology. Moore's Law says CPU/data density doubles every 2 years but unfortunately, chemical technology does not (battery).

Think about what possibilities we can have if we have a battery size of penny that is as powerful as car battery that can last for a few months?

Very moving photo. My boyfriend is in the army reserves after having spent 3 years overseas, both in Korea and Iraq, so I can relate to that photo!

No matter how strong the soldiers are, most or some of them will have back pain later in life due to heavy backpack gear.

Yep you got that right, If I were to wear heavy backpack, I think I would have fallen "backward" and thud! ouch! :iough:

:ty: for the photo.

If I got into that position with all that weight on my back, there is no way I could even stand up again without help.

Our troops have to bear a heavy burden, physical and otherwise.

maybe better off with shield from bullets and explosives?

Starry, I wore "bullet-proof" flak jackets many times, as they do offer some protection from pistol and submachine-gun bullets, most shotgun pellets, spent rifle bullets, and general flying debris from explosions.

Media and movies have fostered the myth that "bullet-proof" is like Superman's suit, but in my time (and at present for military and law enforcement issue) there is no helmet or vest or glass that will stop even medium rifle fire nor protect against the force of near explosions.

Starry, I wore "bullet-proof" flak jackets many times, as they do offer some protection from pistol and submachine-gun bullets, most shotgun pellets, spent rifle bullets, and general flying debris from explosions.

Media and movies have fostered the myth that "bullet-proof" is like Superman's suit, but in my time (and at present for military and law enforcement issue) there is no helmet or vest or glass that will stop even medium rifle fire nor protect against the force of near explosions.
Right you are. Also, most "vests" leave a lot of body area exposed and vulnerable.

yup... that's what happened to my friend's 2 comrades at botched rescue mission at Roberts Ridge. One went thru side of vest and other went thru under the kevler helmet. Worst part? my friend was a combat medic and there was nothing he can do. Both died. AK-47 7.62mm round doesn't make a pretty wound like M4's 5.56mm :cold:

BTW - Chase, what did you wear flak jacket for?

Back