Hospital Tests First Implantable Hearing Aid

Whoa!!!

Two months healing time!!! :-o You expect me not to talk the entire time, too? Take a long walk off the short pier, pal! :pissed: It would never happen...

but the Envoy costs about $20,000 and is not expected to be covered by insurance.
GOOD, it shouldn't! I mean, if the ONLY reason is b/c of cosmetic issues, then PAY FOR IT YOURSELF!

Its weird, i dont think i would want something like this. It is like becoming hearing 24/7 cuz it is on all teh time. which would be strange. For me I like to turn off the noises sometime. ;-)

I know.....like I like to hear, but it's also wonderful being able to turn off sound and stuff...I just think that the hearing 24/7 and in ALL sittuions thing is a little too overrated.

What if you lose the remote control, or what if the mechanics fail or something?

What is the difference between an implantable hearing aid and a CI? Both of them are implants one way or another.

DefLord said:
What is the difference between an implantable hearing aid and a CI?
I could be mistaken, but I think the implantable hearing aid goes into the middle ear section, possibly attaching itself to one of those three bones, while the CI goes into the actual cochlea organ.

Honestly i would hate hearing 24/7. I really would. At the end of the day it's nice to take your hearing aids out and get a break, it really is. I could not handle the constant sound.

In my case, my daughter has a remote also and we can use each others. Deafdyke, you seem like a really cool person but I dont understand your way of thinking. I guess youre not impressed with Envoy because its not on the market and there arent many people who have it, so you dont hear much about it. When CI's were in the testing stages, did you guys have the same skepticism as you do with implantable hearing devices? Now most of you rave about how great CI's are. Also you seem to think the main reason for getting one is for cosmetic reasons. Not me, I've started wearing my hair shorter and the device is much more noticable. Keep an open mind. My guess is a few years from now, people will be sold on IHD's as they are now with CI's. :sadwave:

this seems to be difrent then a ci and better then regular haering aids becase it usees your ear to do the work and the article did say that the woman could hear sound she could not before, i think i will give it time before passing judgement.

Back