Hope this is the right forum for this..

AliceLiddell

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, although I wish it was under better circumstances.
I own a childrens theatre and I am doing a version of 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears' this year that is done in Theatre for the Deaf format. now here is the kicker - I know very little of ASL (I can spell, count and know odd signs such as snobby) The Utah Association for the Deaf had previously said they were going to help.. but non as of yet has arrived.
I am holding auditions for this show this tuesday and casting comes out a week later.... and I have no one to help my actors with their ASL. I must say I am slightly panic stricken.

Here is my question, would any one be interested in 'tutoring' my actors via email??

I am basically looking for someone who can talk with the cast and myself over emails so we can get the grammer and signs correct. I found a few very helpfull sites that I could probably relly on solely, but I would hate to go into a performance sand do something wrong and cause problems....

I am determined to continue this project, from what I have researched this has never been done locally and I feel it needs to be.

Thank you everyone! :ily:
Alice

I wish I could help, but my ASL skills are limited. I do want to compliment you on your clever screen name, though. :)

AliceLiddell said:
Thanks got a little thing for that story :p

Lets just hope I find someone in time :fingersx:

I would love to help you but Im not a native ASL user. Good luck :)

AliceLiddell said:
Thanks got a little thing for that story

I do too. I can recite Jabberwocky, the Walrus and the Carpenter, and the ALICEPLEASANCELIDDELL poem by heart. :) Did you get my PM, by the way?

Yeah I did but they don't accept PM's so i guess there goes that plan :( But thanks so much...

LOL My normal siggy is a peice of that poem... guess I should migrate it here! :p

I couldn't find the one I made of that poem - was going to post that the one that is up will have to do untill I find the APL poem... but it's not showing up for me!! gah!
The poem I have up now is from a prelude poem to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Charles Dawson is Lewis Carrolls real name...

EDIT: Ok now its showing up.... who knows...

Last edited:
Oh yeah—now I remember it. I have seen it before. Er…a minor nit-pick here, if you will. Lewis Carroll’s real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, not ‘Dawson.’

So you're saying none of the actors know sign and you don't either? Wow, that is going to be a pretty ambitious project in that case! It's hard for me to imagine pulling this off without a "live" ASL user involved (as opposed to email only). What about going to a Deaf event and asking around? If you are shy about your ASL or don't think you can communicate effectively enough, maybe you could pass out flyers explaining your situation and asking for volunteers to help with the production. What you are looking for is called a "sign master" I believe. Good luck!

Ahh your right - look at em go, no more 'from memory stuff for me lol

This project has encountered MANY roadbumps. The original header/director of the show was fluent in ASL but dropped out far enough into the game that backing out wasn't allowed. I trudged a head and found some good help through the Utah Association from the deaf... which eventually did not pan out. However I did not know this untill the point of 'panic' had come. I am determined to keep it running however... the theatre company is new and has some ambitious plans. I am not one to just back down when it gets to hard...

I was contacted by a member of this forum who is located in SLC Utah and expressed some interest.. however when I attemtep to reply to your email it was returned saying the email account was suspended. I attempted to reply to you here and was told that you do not accept emails or PM's
If you could contact me again with another way to contact you, that would be great! :ty:

You might also contact your local public school district. They should have at least one interpretor who could at least point you in the right direction as far as finding someone(s) to help you.

Back