Honeymoon?

Ildri

Reaction score
I'm getting married in November, and we haven't decided yet where to go on out honeymoon. I'm looking for advice everywhere!

It'll be late Nov/early Dec. We live in Ohio, and unfortunately can't spend a lot of money (we decided that in an ideal world we'd go to Australia or NZ, but we can't afford the plane tickets). His only real preference is that there be a nice beach. I'd like some place with somewhat of a different culture to explore.

Any thoughts? :hmm:

You can always rent a nice cottage by the beach. The point of a honeymoon is for a newlywed couple to spend some time together away from everyone and to appreciate life.

A honeymoon don't always have to be in an exotic place, you can always take a trip to an exotic place for your anniversary, or 2nd honeymoon.

How about renting a cozy log cabin up in the mountains for a few days and interact with nature and peace? Of course, during the summer months. You can go hiking and do sightseeing different wildlife. That could be in Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon, Washington, etc...many of the west US states have log cabins in the coniferious forests.

How much is "not a lot" of money, and are you close to a major airport? I'd suggest Mexico (nice beaches, different culture), the Dominican Republic (also gorgeous beaches and a different culture), Belize, maybe the Caribbean.

Obviously all those will be pricier than staying close to home, but Mexico and the DR are both fairly inexpensive as international travel goes.

Closer to home but still a trip: Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC are both beautiful cities which usually have decent weather in late November, but of course not tropical, and not warm enough for swimming. Both are lovely, romantic places, though.

San Antonio, TX could be a nice trip; the Riverwalk is supposed to be lovely.

Really closer to home: what part of Ohio are you in? What about a short trip to Louisville, KY, or maybe Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, Tennessee? Are you an Elvis fan? A trip to Memphis might be fun. No beaches in any of those places, but could be a fun time.

You can't go wrong going to Jamaica and staying on the beach at Ocho Rios, Mallard Beach Hotel. Best to fly to Montego Bay and the hotel will transport you to Ocho Rios, an experience in itself. You should be able to get a good and reasonable package if you look around. Mine was for two and all-inclusive 5 days 4 nights $575, 2005 price. Can't say enough how much we enjoyed the beach, food, drinks and accommodations. They speak English.

San Antonio, for North folks, should be held for when you know your home town will have four feet of snow and you want to get away from the snow and cold. Nevertheless, it is a great destination.

It doesn't necessarily have to be immediately after your wedding. You can always postpone it a bit for when the time is right.

Also, you can always do a bunch of mini-honeymoons at different places instead of one long honeymoon at one place.

It doesn't necessarily have to be immediately after your wedding. You can always postpone it a bit for when the time is right.

Also, you can always do a bunch of mini-honeymoons at different places instead of one long honeymoon at one place.

That's a great suggestion.

True, but - there is something special about that first trip as newly-weds, whether it's just a long weekend away or something more elaborate. It's worth putting some thought and effort into making it what both people want.

Oh man this thread brings back wonderful memories of my honeymoon! CONGRATS! My husband and I went to FL for our honeymoon ( we're in GA ). Destin FL was wonderful I'd highly recommend it.

The first trip as a married couple is one you will never forget! I have a necklace from my honeymoon that I hang in my car rearview mirror. It never fails to remind me :) get lots of keepsakes-although it was 2006 when I married it seems like it was eons ago. Wherever you go-have fun!

Funny, I got married in ohio. we went to maui and its a great place for honeymoon.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Went to Canada. Banff and Lake Louise. But that was in August.
If your budget is tight and you like the mountains, head for Colorado.

We lived in Pensacola, FL, and married there, so we spent our honeymoon weekend (also Memorial Day weekend) there. We didn't have to travel anywhere. :giggle:

Pensacola and the surrounding area include beautiful beaches. Sometimes they are a little chilly in November/December though.

We've been married over 35 years. Maybe we'll take that honeymoon trip on our golden anniversary. :lol:

I didn't have a honeymoon with my first marriage. That's it! That's what we did wrong. I'm going to have to have a month long honeymoon on my second marriage, I have a lot of making up to do. (That sounded a lot dirtier than I intended)

I think on my honeymoon, we will probably take a long cruise. I've been itching to visit Europe.

Back