Honey as a cough suppressant

Oceanbreeze

Reaction score
The thread touting Vaporub as a cough suppressant sparked a desire in me to go looking for alternatives for cough suppression. I've been battling a viral sinus infection with a chronic dry cough now for about a month. At times, the cough has been so bad that it's made me spit up or vomit. I don't like taking OTC cough medication because it doesn't agree with me, so, I went looking for a viable alternative. Ironically, I found that honey is a good suppressant. Various articles tout different types of honey, but, I have been using a tablespoon of orange blossom honey before bed, and, I can attest this has helped suppress the cough for the night and it's helped me get a good night sleep.

Here's a link that supports the use of honey for coughs. This mainly talks about giving honey to children and teens, but, I don't see why adults couldn't also use honey as well should they choose to or want to use an alternative to OTC medications.

Honey Treats Coughs Better Than Drugs - ABC News

Hot limeade or lemonade with honey is an old remedy. My grandmother put a spoonful of rum in it too.

Hot limeade or lemonade with honey is an old remedy. My grandmother put a spoonful of rum in it too.

I've seen that, too. I've just been taking a tablespoon of honey every night. That works just as well for me as adding lemon in it. :)

My mom gave us warm honey and lemon when we had cold. I have a friend that like to put a little red pepper in her. I wish I could eat honey , I have a cough that I can't get rid of!

My mom gave us warm honey and lemon when we had cold. I have a friend that like to put a little red pepper in her. I wish I could eat honey , I have a cough that I can't get rid of!

If you can get to a grocery store, you can pick some up. It really does help; especially if the OTC cough syrups don't agree with you.

Put honey in warm milk, stir, and drink. Russian method work wonders!

I forgot all about honey... Thanks for reminding me!!!

I like to drink tea just plain but some add sugar, milk, honey or creamer...

Back