Honda Civic: "CHECK ENGINE" light on

Yep, there is several good OEM parts at pick n pull junkyard. I sold one of my old Explorer to them because I have a lot of useful parts that someone can use before they crush the vehicle. Usually manufacturer (dealer) charges higher for the parts than aftermarkets. Junkyard is the right place they do have good parts that will last longer for cheaper price.

Want cheapest OEM parts? Go to junkyard to parting out virgin parts. I still use to harvesting the parts for my personal vehicles or for my friends.

Want cheapest OEM parts? Go to junkyard to parting out virgin parts. I still use to harvesting the parts for my personal vehicles or for my friends.

You forget most of us are not Southwest. I won't buy brake caliper or electrical from junkyard. It's RUSTED already. Better order online OEM parts and lot cheap than dealership. Simple, Going to dealer and ask how much price and most time they gave me the part number item list then leave and use part number item to find internet and order. :aw:

Yeah my good asian friend told me about replaced new engine at around 40k miles to avoid from poor mpg back in high school (1999).

One thing I still don't understand that Japan allows Subaru diesel but never allows Subaru diesel in USA due high emission.

That's weird but don't know how Volkswagen and Mercedes got around that. Those two are the most common diesel brands in the United States for cars.

I find it hard to believe need to replace engine at 40K miles, I don't see justifiable just to save on fuel. The cost of replace engine far exceed the cost of MPG loss. Im not saying I don't believe this but if they are actually doing this, they aren't saving a penny after all.

And blame on EPA for not allowing Diesel cars up here in America.

You don't have to believe it but that's the fact. That's why we are getting so many engines from Japan that are still good. You can get a DOHC VTEC 4 cylinder for only $1500 compared to about $3,000 to $4,000 for the US version.

That's weird but don't know how Volkswagen and Mercedes got around that. Those two are the most common diesel brands in the United States for cars.

Because they use diesel exhaust fluid. Subaru diesel should add diesel exhaust fluid. It's help to low emission.

Some newer semi-truck use diesel exhaust fluid now.

You don't have to believe it but that's the fact. That's why we are getting so many engines from Japan that are still good. You can get a DOHC VTEC 4 cylinder for only $1500 compared to about $3,000 to $4,000 for the US version.

And Japan's fuel price is two times more than USA.

Because they use diesel exhaust fluid. Subaru diesel should add diesel exhaust fluid. It's help to low emission.

Some newer semi-truck use diesel exhaust fluid now.

Interesting, I think California makes it harder for bringing new cars from overseas.

Yeah, of course. There's too many cars out there especially the older cars are common there as well. If you have a car before 1973, you are exempt from smog check. North California is not as bad as South California.

Yep. That's right. I do like 70's and I will removed outdated fuel system (carburetor) and add summit system to help less emission, less problem and big improvement MPG. I learned that carburetor is famous problem with dirty and need adjust due weather or altitude.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35000/media/images/year/1970/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

One of my old teacher did that and I don't smell any from exhaust. It's pretty cool. Summit are better for hot rod.

Old engine without computer and never will over 15MPG at all even you drive very slow.

Last edited:
Yep. That's right. I do like 70's and I will removed outdated fuel system (carburetor) and add summit system to help less emission, less problem and big improvement MPG. I learned that carburetor is famous problem with dirty and need adjust due weather or altitude.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-35000/media/images/year/1970/make/chevrolet/model/camaro

One of my old teacher did that and I don't smell any from exhaust. It's pretty cool. Summit are better for hot rod.

Old engine without computer and never will over 15MPG at all even you drive very slow.

Yeah carbeurator is an amazing device that can affect gas mileage for sure.

You can go to AutoZone and have them check for you free of charge.

My wife had the "check engine" light on. Turns out she didn't twist the gas cap on completely. She was worried after it was twisted on completely, but the "check engine" light was still on. I then explained that it usually takes over 30 miles of no problem before it comes off. Well, she drove 30 miles and it finally turned off. :)

You forget most of us are not Southwest. I won't buy brake caliper or electrical from junkyard. It's RUSTED already. Better order online OEM parts and lot cheap than dealership. Simple, Going to dealer and ask how much price and most time they gave me the part number item list then leave and use part number item to find internet and order. :aw:

I get OEM P/Ns from Alldata and World Pac to order parts online.

Yeah, of course. There's too many cars out there especially the older cars are common there as well. If you have a car before 1973, you are exempt from smog check. North California is not as bad as South California.

Exempt from smog check is model year 1975. Model year 1976 and later still requires smog check.

You can go to AutoZone and have them check for you free of charge.

My wife had the "check engine" light on. Turns out she didn't twist the gas cap on completely. She was worried after it was twisted on completely, but the "check engine" light was still on. I then explained that it usually takes over 30 miles of no problem before it comes off. Well, she drove 30 miles and it finally turned off. :)

C/E lights in some modern vehicles won't come off after long trip WITHOUT clear EVAP code(s), still stored codes in PCM as history codes. What kind of car your wife have?

76 is first model year requires unleaded fuel. I still remember seeing regular leaded fuel and unleaded fuel. Unleaded fuel usually cost few pennies more than regular leaded gas. And the size of leaded fuel nozzle is close to diesel fuel nozzle (Bigger in diameter) to prevent leaded fuel into unleaded only fuel.

Exempt from smog check is model year 1975. Model year 1976 and later still requires smog check.

DST just passed test, LOL

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
Electric
Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
Motorcycle
Trailer

Found under Smog Information

Emission control were first required on all vehicles in 1976. Catalytic converter was installed 1976 and later vehicles. Catalytic converter will be damaged if used leaded gas instead of unleaded gas.

I understand why you thought it was 1973, that is when larger engines in cars were outlaw, no more 4 barrel carbs, engine has to be smaller. If you had 1972 Caddy, it will have 500 CID engine (That is 8.2 litre) and that was last model year caddy ever had huge engine in it.

I guess it changed to 1976 or later. It used to be 1973 back then.

Man! I still remember during 70's many cars were able to rolling coal (Black smoke shoot out of tailpipe), Not anymore.

Back