Homeless in Northern California...Should it be a Crime ?

RLF

Reaction score
A class action lawsuit was filed Aug 2nd on behalf of eleven Sacramento homeless, Sacramento Loaves and Fishes, and 3 other homeless organizations. Attorney Mark Merin is seeking to have his lawsuit certified as a class action on behalf of people living "without fixed nighttime shelter" -- as well as homeless people who have had personal property confiscated and destroyed. According to Merin's lawsuit, local ordinances prohibiting homeless people from sleeping outside violate the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution because they punish people for being homeless.It also claims the practice of taking and destroying personal property, "including necessary survival gear, as well as irreplaceable prescription medication, paperwork, memorabilia, valuables and tools," violates their rights.

News - Lawsuit targets homeless policy - sacbee.com

This lawsuit in Sacramento is like gazing in a crystal ball for you, Redding City Council. Your future unless you make some compasionate changes in the way you deal with the poor and homeless here.These lawsuits have been won all over the country, and although there seems to be a good faith effort on your part to hold possesions found and confiscated by your homeless camp sweeps, without a written policy, its just lip service. Does the California Department of Fish and Game follow your unwritten policy ?, I think not.

300 more homeless children were found in your last homeless survey City of Redding, and it just keeps getting worse.Will more tickets, fines , and jail time solve the problem ? At Redding Loaves and Fishes,we are against laws that unfairly single out homeless people and criminalize them for everyday living and life-sustaining activites.If anyone claims to be Christian, you should be against them too.

If we Love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor, (poor, homeless,) as ourselfs, we do well. As Christians, we cannot sue the breathren, but it is hard to tell who the breathren are when the Redding City Council makes decisions about the poor and homeless as if there is no God in heaven at all.

Reddingloavesandfishes.com - Index

Ugh, that's really stupid law.

Homeless are just out of control on life, that need alot of help and punish them are bad idea.

We need let homeless to around in downtown or somewhere, that their choice.

local ordinances prohibiting homeless people from sleeping outside violate the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

That is laughable, obviously does not know the constitution.

taking and destroying personal property, "including necessary survival gear, as well as irreplaceable prescription medication, paperwork, memorabilia, valuables and tools," violates their rights.

Individuals do not have a right to trash up public property. The city/County/State has a duty to keep public use property as clean as possible.
Actually the alleged homeless are violating laws and other peoples rights.

At what point should these people, who have been helped and helped and handed out to and handed out to ad nauseum, be expected to be improving their situations/education/etc?

This whole lawsuit is nothing more than a way to force an entity to continue taking care of and providing for those who refuse to do anything toward improving their own condition.

The lord truely helps those who helps themselves and blesses those who strive for better in their lives.

I am remembered that I was used worked at M.I Ageny to support human beings hopefully find a permanent job So One of deaf homeless , and we asked and did encouragement him to find an employment , but He said he was firmly refused to working for an employment so guess we can't do anything help him :(

I am remembered that I was used worked at M.I Ageny to support human beings hopefully find a permanent job So One of deaf homeless , and we asked and did encouragement him to find an employment , but He said he was firmly refused to working for an employment so guess we can't do anything help him :(

Some homeless people are genuine victims of circumstances (i.e., out of work, no place to live), but it's been my understanding that some of homeless people have mental illnesses and/or severe addictions that make it difficult for them to hold a job. Originally, in the past, they would live in institutes, but in 80's, Reagan's administration closed down many of these institutes, which was why homelessness became a big issue in 80's.

Mod Note:

Thread has been moved from 'General Chat' to this forum, 'On-topics Debates'.

~RR

Originally, in the past, they would live in institutes, but in 80's, Reagan's administration closed down many of these institutes, which was why homelessness became a big issue in 80's.

Oh I didn't know about that! Interesting!!! :):)

Oh I didn't know about that! Interesting!!! :):)

It is true...most of homeless are schizophernia.... needs to be on medicines.. they normally refuses..... something about medications makes them sick...or drugged...

I noticed most of the homelesses are drug abusers (ie drinking, bad drugs, etc)

Some of them simply ended up on street due to no place to live or lost a job.

It is true...most of homeless are schizophernia.... needs to be on medicines.. they normally refuses..... something about medications makes them sick...or drugged...

I am never forgotten that what incident and so tragic about long time ago. There schizophrenia client was serious beat up to deaf staff at overnight so now Staff is unfortunate and become paralyzed! and send a schizophrenia client to "Mental Jail"! :(:(:(

I am never forgotten that what incident and so tragic about long time ago. There schizophrenia client was serious beat up to deaf staff at overnight so now Staff is unfortunate and become paralyzed! and send a schizophrenia client to "Mental Jail"! :(:(:(

Yes i undersstand... it is not really his fault.. but they like him need help... no one are able to help them.. they live on the streets......i feel bad for them...

Wow.. I agree with Pacman, I think the law is very stupid. Not only government who own the land and take the control on the people. If they don't want a roof then let them go.

Also I don't feel any sorry about homeless people being homeless because I knew they choose to be homeless. I know there is some people became homeless because of their life situations. They just need some assistance if they want a home, if they don't want home then why punish them?

via 8700~

I read those posts. Interesting indeed!

I notice you put your own fingerpoint the most homeless are schizophrenia. That's your determined. There prove you wrong, but I genuinely respect that's your own percpestive on.

But that's not reason specific issue. Most common People ended up the homeless on street by eviction, drug addict, AA, crimes, none friends, schizophrenia, lost jobs, no relatives, high cost living, on and on.

Long time ago, true story based on case: I saw deaf homeless on street. He sell ABC cards to earn $$ support his suvival life. I did talk to him, why he ended up on street? He said, he does have ssi. But he had no place, because of no relatives in his area, no friends. His friends don't want him to live with them for roommate. That's how he ended up like that. He made me sad and mercy what he said.

Oh my dear.... It's really sad to read those article.

Who is Homeless and Why?

The homeless population includes people from all walks of life:

In the U.S., more than 3.5 million people experience homelessness each year.
35% of the homeless population are families with children, which is the fastest growing segment of the homeless population.
25% are U.S. military veterans.
25% are children under the age of 18 years.
30% have experienced domestic violence.
20-25% suffer from mental illness.
In urban communities, people experience homelessness for an average of eight months.

National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness

This whole lawsuit is nothing more than a way to force an entity to continue taking care of and providing for those who refuse to do anything toward improving their own condition.

The lord truely helps those who helps themselves and blesses those who strive for better in their lives.

It's obvious that you've never been homeless :pissed: I made myself intentionally homeless because the people I was living with were abusive towards myself and my pets. So I helped myself by leaving. Fortunately I had kind friends who let me sleep at their place until I got another home. I was lucky. I could have been homeless on the street.

It's obvious that you've never been homeless :pissed: I made myself intentionally homeless because the people I was living with were abusive towards myself and my pets. So I helped myself by leaving. Fortunately I had kind friends who let me sleep at their place until I got another home. I was lucky. I could have been homeless on the street.

Exactly. Given the economic climate in the U.S., the majority are no more than one paycheck away from being homeless. And the fastest growing population of homeless people in the U.S. is families with young children, often with both parents working for minimum wage,but unable to cover basic expenses. They make too much to qualify for any kind of assistance, but not enough to support themselves.

The real criminals are not the homeless, but the politicians that create the circumstances that lead to homelessness.

That is not true. People with schizophrenia are qualify for SSI benefits.
And Community mental health workers come by their house
every week.

Check out and see or visit homeless people in downtown Los Angeles Its like the end of the world ! :( SAD ! whoa ....

Back