Home Burns to the Ground as Firefighters Stand and Watch

From something my old landlord told me in Missouri. We live on a piece of his property. We had 1 1/2 acres and behind us was 80 acres of pasture land for the 300 head of cattle. Next door was the landlord with his 25 acres for house and 2 pole barns and horses. He had said that there used to be a $50 fee for the fire department to come out. As more people moved into the area, he got all of them together and they split the bill for fire hydrants and service without the yearly fee. We had a portion added to our lot rent. Still, we only paid $300 a month for 1 1/2 acres, water, trash and electric. There was no sewer as in this area, there were lagoons in place of sewer.

When I lived in Knoxville nearly 15 years ago it was that way-- friends of mine lived in an area outside of the city's service area and had to pay Rural Metro to cover them-- thing that seemed odd to me is they were in city limits-- only they were outside of the original city limits-- and I think that's what the boundaries were based on-- it might be different now but these were the suburbs- not rural by any means-- and it was a lot more than $75 in 1998 to cover fire and EMS- was more like $250-300 a year...

Yep. I lived outside Nashville and it was the same way.

And if they didn't pay their taxes that year???

You still get a tax bill if you did not pay it. The town or city is not going to stop sending you a tax bill if you did not pay it. The people that lost their home will still have to pay taxes .

You still get a tax bill if you did not pay it. The town or city is not going to stop sending you a tax bill if you did not pay it. The people that lost their home will still have to pay taxes .

Except for the small little detail that a jurisdiction cannot tax outside of it's limits......thus the spray fee is offered as a courtesy. $75 is a small price to pay too.

Back