'Hollywood' sign gone in three weeks...

Seriously anybody that would perch a house on this terrian should not be able to get insurance. That is ridiculous!

hollywood-sign-address1.jpg

hollywood_sign_2.jpg

Obviously you havent seen the houses of the Rocky Mountains. That is just a small hill.

I've seen one house literally carved into the side of a mountain near monarch pass in Colorado. So I can see something like that could done on this hill but still I'm not worried. Someone with money cares about that sign and will anonymously donate.

I've seen one house literally carved into the side of a mountain near monarch pass in Colorado. So I can see something like that could done on this hill but still I'm not worried. Someone with money cares about that sign and will anonymously donate.

Monarch Pass.. Beautiful.

What were you doing in the middle of almost nowhere though?

Obviously you havent seen the houses of the Rocky Mountains. That is just a small hill.
I have. I use to live in the rocky mountains. I know it can be done but it's the nationalized insurance and people that build on the edges of mountains and half way in the water that in part cause our premiums to go up not if, but when they have catastrophes. If you understand how mountains are formed you would understand that it is not really stable ground to be building on. It is risky business.

Wow, that's sad to hear but hopefully they will raise the funds to protect it from demolition. It is a landmark for sure, but I'm surprised it isn't protected under a landmark status to prevent development or changes.

Oh please save that sign. I've lived in Southern California all my LIFE and have not been able to see it in person yet. I love these kind of landmarks and I'd donate to save it but the most I'd be able to give is about $25-$50. I'm hoping some wealthy Hollywood lover or actor or producer or someone will come in and save it. I can't imagine it being demolished just to build houses. I wouldn't live on that demolished land even if I could, I'd be ashamed that something historical was destroyed so I could live on it.

It would be pretty dumb to build on that hill. L.A. terrain is nothing but dirt and sand. When an earthquake hits it moves kindof like jello. If a earthquake hit in Colorado the rocks would hold better. It's a wonder the sign hasn't slid down the hill as it is.

The Hollywood sign can be seen in movies and television shows for years. Entertainment industries helped making it one of the most recognized landmarks in the world, but they do not bother to help out? Just take a pen and write a check. That's not so hard. let's hope it is not too late to save it. My mom grew up in LA and even lived two blocks away from Rodeo Drive. She will be sad to see that sign go.

Do you know what's funny? The original sign's purpose was to advertise a new housing development.

The sign was originally put up as an advertisement by a real estate developer. In fact, the sign originally read as "Hollywoodland". Later on, "land" was removed from the name due to a stipulation in the contract between the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the City of Los Angeles Parks. It was stipulated by the Chamber of Commerce because they wanted it to reflect the district and not the development company.

Just an interesting fact.

Thanks for the history Banjo. Here are a couple of pictures that support what you are saying which by the way, I did not know that.

2242825891_15976e3bf9.jpg

hollywoodland-768517.jpg

Who'd want to live in a house built on a hill? More liable to fall apart during mudslide etc.

Hope the group will succeed in saving the sign.

Monarch Pass.. Beautiful.

What were you doing in the middle of almost nowhere though?

I go through there usually on my way to gunnison or crested butte when I get the chance to go. I've not been in probably 12-13 years though. Life got in the way.

Back