HOH Soldier

Daryn

Reaction score
I am in the US Army, and due to an injury, I am now concidered Hard of Hearing, but not enough so to be discharged. I enjoy my job in the military, however the days when I wake up and everything just sounds like a subtle whisper it makes my job a little difficult. My name is daryn. I live in Oklahoma, I am 19.:wave:

welcome :wave:

what do you do in army?

Welcome Daryn. My grandfather lost his hearing while in the Army. He was a belly gunner on a B-17 during WWII.

I also have a great uncle that lost his hearing from Mortar rounds.

My father was in the Army during the Korean Conflict and was a Linotype operator for the Pacific Stars and Stripes. He contracted malaria while in Japan and lost his hearing in one ear.

Welcome to AllDeaf!!

Welcome to AllDeaf, and thank you for your service to our country. :wave:

Hi, Daryn, welcome to Alldeaf and thank you for your continuing service to our country, Sir!

Welcome to AllDeaf! first off, thank you for all that you are doing for our country and secondly, i think you will be able to find many people who would love to talk to you

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hey Daryn.... I want to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!
:wave:
I'm a veteran from the Navy... my suggestion to you, is to make sure everything is documented in your medical records regarding your hearing loss and the cause of it.... you know, when you went thru MEPS, they tested you before going in.... so be sure to go see your Doctors... complain of your hearing loss...and let them know the difficulty you have doing your job... tell them you need hearing aids if you don't have them yet... if they say they don't do it there, they can send you off base to have you tested and fitted, etc... I was stationed at Tinker AFB, in Oklahoma (yeah yeah I know... Navy? in OK? ... yes 5 air squadrons LOL I was attached to VQ-3) .... good luck... keep us posted!
Deb

Hey Daryn.... I want to say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!
:wave:
I'm a veteran from the Navy... my suggestion to you, is to make sure everything is documented in your medical records regarding your hearing loss and the cause of it.... you know, when you went thru MEPS, they tested you before going in.... so be sure to go see your Doctors... complain of your hearing loss...and let them know the difficulty you have doing your job... tell them you need hearing aids if you don't have them yet... if they say they don't do it there, they can send you off base to have you tested and fitted, etc... I was stationed at Tinker AFB, in Oklahoma (yeah yeah I know... Navy? in OK? ... yes 5 air squadrons LOL I was attached to VQ-3) .... good luck... keep us posted!
Deb

:gpost: :gpost:

I noticed on the date on June 17, 2010. He has not response back here for one month and half. So he may not be able to answer your suggestions which are very good. Thank you for that. :thumb: :cool2:

:welcome: to AD and thank you for serving our country :)

I just spoke with my son who is an Army Ranger but also a military Doctor at Walter Reed. He explain to me that the Army and all branches are required to provide hearing aids and to make adjustments in your position. He made a point to say that you will not be discharged automatically due to hearing lost but it will be taken into consideration for a hornable discharge due to disability. Best of luck to you.

VA information

Hello Daryn,

Welcome to AD. Here's a link that might help you. Go down to the VA and register, especially if you are low income. I left the canoe club 25 years ago and wish I had known that I could use the VA again. Thanks for all you do and best of luck getting your hearing treated.

Giving Back to Vets -- AARP

Back