HOH general advice, and master in Social work or Pyshology?

Clau

Reaction score
Hi there,

My name is Claudia, I would like some advice about which master to pursuit, But first, i want to tell you about me, so you have more elements, to give me an advice.

Im Colombian, I have a bachelor degree in psychology. My country it's not the best country to live in (we're the friendliest people in the world, but the quality of life here sucks) I have decided to emigrate to Australia, but in order of applying for Permanent resident in Au as psychologist or Social worker, i would need to study two years master in there.

i have analyzed the whole migration thing, and it seem easiest to get a job as social worker once you graduate, than a psychologist one. However i have difficulty analyzing the challenges i will face as HOH working in one those jobs.

My native language is Spanish, i have learnt english, here in Colombia, and i also learnt english in Australia. i have no much difficulty in my daily life, excepting some social isolation (i have friends, but never go to parties or places where background noise it's gonna be a communication killer)

When i went to Au, i DID found many challenges...talking by phone became a torture, and getting a job as international student (only 20 hours per week) that didn't discriminate me for my "strong foreign accent" (i think probably it's a deaf accent, and some people has a hard time trying to understand my speech) was tough. Finnally i got a casual job that helps me to get by.

So, i got enough money to pay a year master's, but i found myself wondering if i should keep trying the Aussie dream, or i should quit. If i stay here...i honestly think i am in disadvantage, i need to pass an exam (ielts english exam) where i have to get a high grade in the listening and speaking component, my last score was good (6.5 overall) , but needs to be much (7.0) better in order to applying for PR. get a job probably will be a problem, i havent forgotten something i were asked in one interview for a support worker job. "how are you going to do for the clients to understand you?" i was in shock and i didn't know what to answer....i think the solution would be be to pay a better hearing (i have Hearing aids, but are not the not the best, dont have T -coil or FM system, actually the audiologist in Sydney told me that my new hearing aids gotten in Colombia were out of production five years ago) and speech therapy.

i went to agencies to see if i could get some help in getting a job, but those are only for native people. So i Do know i am at my own.

Only went i came to Au, i started thinking about me as Hard of hearing, i grew up in a hearing family, and i dont know HOH people either in spanish or english. I'd like to get involved into deaf culture, by, at least in this stage is because im looking for answers.

So, i would some advice considering everything i have said, not only about the social work - psychology challenges but the whole situation (not about PR requirements, i know, you probably wont know that)

Also, if there is a HOH social worker or psychologist, i would appreciate you to share how's has been your professional experience.

Why not come to the US and get a Master's at Gally? Quality of life in Oz for HOH people isn't that great..(very oral and assimlate into the hearing world mindset)..and at Gally you could learn ASL,so you could learn to function without your hearing aids!

You have a lot of other components but here's my experience and input...

I grew up hearing and experienced deafness as a young adult, still in school.
I studied psychology in undergrad (as well as studio art). I did an internship while in school when I wanted to become an art therapist for a drug rehab/detox/psych hospital. It was great, I loved it, but not for me for a few reasons related to my deafness. One, the patients I tried to work with were either very drugged on prescribed pharmaceuticals or distracted/slurring/jittery from their diagnosis or their withdrawal. It was very hard to follow their speech. I got a lot out of learning from their art and talking with the other therapists, but I hard a harder time interacting with those who were more disconnected with the world around them. Other therapists could have helped them better than I could have. Two, they didn't trust me at first. I do use an interpreter when it's available although I am verbal... And if an interpreter is the third person in the room (god forbid your own hearing gets worse, idk your personal situation) that's a third unknown person with paranoid untrusting patients in your care. Again, I worked with severe and abnormal psych patients... There are other types of therapists.

I think if there's a will there's a way... But there's another side to consider (the patient or minor). If you want to work with people who can respect that they need to repeat or look at you or speak clearly (not slurred, medicated, ansy and twitchy patients with trust issues) you might still like psych, but I didn't think it was the best career path for me.

Btw, I'm now a portrait photographer... So I didn't stick with either of those fields :)

deafdyke...i aprecciate the idea because i'd love learning ASL Aand going to Gally, but the only way to stay in US, is either marrying a US citizen or as Assylum seeker...So, it's not an option for me.

Ohmylight, thanks for sharing your experience, are this kind of insights, that im looking for, in order to see what challenges i could have in the future. After a deep search in internet i found an interesting article of AMPHL (Association of medical professionals with hearing losses) that provide tips for Deaf and HOH students of medical areas, incluiding pyschology and Veterinary. It was pretty useful. AMPHL - Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Losses

Anyway im still interested in other experiences in the fields of psychology or Social work, So I would appreciate if people out there share their experiences.

Back